Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2017 15:00

S2417DG, BurnIn mode, random colors #2

After 4 months of normal operation, my S2417DG monitor began cycling through solid color screens whenever it was restarted while my system was off or in sleep mode.  It also lost all of my settings - essentially a factory reset.  A Dell tech walked me through turning off Burn In Mode in the Factory Menu, but that solution was temporary.  The next monitor restart with the system off or idle recreated the problem.  

I already had turned off Deep Sleep mode.  After much experimenting, I discovered that Dell's Power Saving mode was not interacting correctly with Windows 10 - 64 bit.  Turning off Power Saving and using only Windows power features solved this problem.  My monitor no longer reverts to the Factory Menu and loses all settings on restart. 

UPDATE: There appears to be an additional underlying problem.  The monitor will keep menu settings for short periods without power, but loses them overnight.  So here is the chain as I understand it now.

When the monitor does not detect video input, it goes into Burn In mode.

When Power Saving / Deep Sleep are turned on, the monitor does not detect video input at startup.

When the monitor is powered off for several hours, it loses menu setting changes (turns Power Saving back ON).  This is the root cause of the Flashing Screens problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 4th, 2017 07:00

The full screen red, green, blue, etc.means that the BurnIn mode has been turned on in the internal FSM (Factory Service Menu).

Dell policy concerning FSM
The monitor internal FSM is only used by our monitor manufacturer service center. Dell Technical Support cannot assist you with the FSM. If you break the monitor by making some other change in the FSM, the purchased warranty is voided.

Knowing the risk, if you decide to enter the FSM to remove the check from BurnIn, then exit the FSM. A full power off/on will turn BurnIn back on. So you will have to repeat the process. That is the only workaround for an out of warranty S2417DG.

If still inside the purchased warranty period, you may request a used/refurbished exchangeNote, if you do not want a used/refurbished exchange, simply turn the monitor off when not in use.

No Events found!