Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2017 16:00

S2417DG, soft boot DP no go, Power Saving On

Hello,

I just purchased a new Dell S2417DG monitor:
Manufactured date: October 31, 2016
S/N: CN-0VGGY4-74261-6AV-0LNU-A00
Operating System: Windows 10, 64-bit (two systems, same OS)
GFX on System #1: Nvidia GTX 780
GFX on System #2: Intel Kaby Lake

Short description: it seems that after this monitor soft boots, DP is not functioning.

I will try to explain:
With S2417DG "Power Saving" set to On (I think this feature is called "Deep Sleep" on the sibling S2716DG):
When monitor "hard boots" (turns on, after I plug in the power cord) - image is displayed properly via DisplayPort. But then:
- Scenario 1: I turn the monitor off via the power button, then turn it on again (I call this "soft boot") - displayport is dead, black image, and "Power Saving is on" message appears. Only way to get image back is to plug the monitor mains out and back in (I call this "hard boot").
- Scenario 2: The computer puts the display to sleep, eventually the monitor enters "power saving mode" (==deep sleep) after about 10 minutes (I can see this by a wattage consumption measurement). When computer tries to wake the display, it won't wake up. Only way to get image back is to plug the monitor mains out and back in ("hard boot").

I will note that the problems described above happen when using the displayport with two complete different systems (a desktop with geforce gfx, and a laptop with intel gfx) - behavior is exactly the same.

For clarification, it seems that the "power saving" (==deep sleep) feature from the menu affects also the behavior of the monitor, when it is turned off/on via its power button. I conclude this as with "power saving" set to off - display will consume ~13watt when powered off via its power button, while with "power saving" set to on - display will consume <1watt when it is powered off via its power button.

Now, when "Power Saving" feature is set to Off - the problems described in the above scenarios do not happen, because the monitor never enters a deep sleep (not even when pressing the power button), so it never soft boots.

There are many posts in the forums with similar behavior described both in S2417DG and S2716DG. On many different revisions. But none of them referred to the same behavior when using the power button, and I don't think it was clear that this is in fact a problem with the monitor soft booting procedure.

As this is obviously a common problem, and not something specific to my monitor. I would like to ask if perhaps there is a firmware upgrade to the monitor that aims to address this issue? If so, I would be willing to try it.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

All the best
-asava

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 16th, 2017 14:00

We are not told of "future" firmware. We simply see them as customers report their A0x version.

Page 34 of the online S2417DG User's Guide =

Capture.JPG

7 Posts

October 17th, 2017 07:00

I was not referring to a future firmware upgrade, but to a possibly existing one, as my sample was manufactured almost a year ago. In case available, I can provide any needed information needed, and perform the firmware upgrade.

From your answer, it seems you're implying that the problem may happen when "Power Saving" is set to "Off", but with "Off" there is no problem. The problems described, happen only when "Power Saving" is set to "On".

Pressing a button other than the power button just brings on the "Input Select" menu, and displayport does not function. It starts functioning again only after power cycling the monitor by pulling out the mains cord and plugging it back in.

As I already mentioned, "Power Saving" mode, clearly affects also the sleep state in which the monitor enters when pressing its power button:

- With "On" - when the monitor is turned off via its power button, the monitor consumes about <1W.

- With "Off" - when the monitor is turned off via its power button, the monitor consumes about ~13W.

This also makes the problem easily reproducible (much easier than waiting for the computer to put the monitor to sleep). To reproduce this problem, take any S2417DG, with its "Power Saving" set to "On", connected via Displayport to a computer. Turn it off via its power button,, then turn it on again, and check whether image is displayed.

Thanks again for your help and for the collaboration!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2017 08:00

I was not referring to a future firmware upgrade, but to a possibly existing one
* According to customer reports on the web, the latest firmware is A01.

and perform the firmware upgrade
* We do not have any mechanism in place to allow customers to update the firmware on this monitor model. A firmware update is only done in our service centers on New and returned monitors. The only way to get a monitor with a newer firmware is via a used monitor exchange.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

do you know whether this issue was resolved with A01?

* We do not. A customer with A01 would have to post their results.

7 Posts

I understand, but  I would prefer not to go through monitor exchange. Also, there are good chances that the local distributor will provide me again with a A00 as replacement.

By the way, do you know whether this issue was resolved with A01? I am asking, as I have seen many reports about this problem, also with the 27" sibling S2716DG.

Or, if firmware is not user upgradable, leaving firmware aside, is there perhaps any other solution to this problem? I am an electronics engineer, so if I can assist in any way, please do let me know.

Thanks again,

-asava

7 Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

I'm not even sure it's a firmware issue. It could be that the low voltage during soft boot causes the Displayport chip to halt, and it won't start working again, until power is completely cut. By the way, I forgot to mention that on some computers (such as my laptop), it is even necessary to disconnect both mains and the Displayport cable to make it work again (as voltage may be supplied to the displayport chip also from the computer, via the DisplayPort connector, as happening in this case).

By the way, does this monitor have an (undocumented) reboot hotkey combination?

---

To any other customers with S2417DG or S2716DG, could you please test the following:

- Connect the monitor to a PC via Displayport.
- Set "Power Saving" (or "Deep Sleep", as it is called on the S2716DG) to "On".
- Pull monitor mains out, then plug it back in, and make sure "Power Saving" / "Deep Sleep" setting sticked.
- Make sure you get image on the monitor via Displayport.
- Turn the monitor off via its power button.
- Turn the monitor back on, via its power button. Do you get image?
Also please specify monitor revision and manufacturing date.

Thanks to everyone helping!

1 Message

March 14th, 2018 14:00

I'm also running a S2417DG. Having the same problem. Have you found any new information?

1 Message

March 17th, 2018 02:00

Do you use the original DP cable that was in the package? Because my problem was that I used another supra 3 meter cable and that didn't work. The monitor fell into sleep mode despite anything I did. Then I used the provided "too short for me" original cable then I got picture directly.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 17th, 2018 10:00

Dell only tested/validated the RN698 2m/6ft DP to DP cable that shipped in the S2417DG box.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 20th, 2018 06:00

Both monitors use the Generation 1 Nvidia G-Sync module for display scaling. To meet the sleep mode power consumption of 0.5W, the Generation 1 Nvidia G-sync module within the monitors will be turned off after the monitor enters Power Saving/Deep Sleep mode. This state will ignore mouse movement.

Turn S2716DG Deep Sleep Mode off
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Others
* Change Monitor Deep Sleep to Disable
* Exit the OSD

Leaving S2716DG Deep Sleep Mode on
* In the operating system power management, set the PC to Sleep mode and S2716DG to Always On. This will engage link training every time when the PC is awoken
* Pressing any button (except the power button) may also wake up the S2716DG after it goes into deep sleep
* Power cycling the S2716DG will also wake it from sleep

Turn S2417DG Power Saving mode off
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Others
* Choose Power Saving- Off
* Exit the OSD

Leaving S2417DG Power Saving mode on
* In the operating system power management, set the PC to Sleep mode and S2417DG to Always On. This will engage link training every time when the PC is awoken
* Pressing any button (except the power button) may also wake up the S2417DG after it goes into deep sleep
* Power cycling the S2417DG will also wake it from sleep

No Events found!