Highlighted
Groshelle
1 Copper

S2440L, unsupported apple hardware, flickering?

I've seen a lot of complaints about the S2440L monitor. This is the monitor that I use and it too flickered and also would black out periodically. I returned the monitor and exchanged it for the same model. The new monitor started doing the same thing right away.

I believe I have figured out what it is. The power cord has an extension that plugs into an adaptor of some sort. This connection is terrible! These two pieces really weren't made for each other. I picked this section up and immediately the monitor flicked off because the circuit was broken. What we're probably dealing with is a poor power connection. 

What I did is fold the cord over onto the adaptor, making sure it caused the plug to be snug in the adaptor and duct taped it. Thus far, zero flickering; zero black screen. Ghetto but it works!

13 Replies
Groshelle
1 Copper

RE: Flickering Dell monitor S2440L

Nevermind! It just started doing it again.

0 Kudos

Groshelle,

When the replacement S2440L arrived, did it come with its own power cord and AC adapter? Or are you still using the 1st monitors power cord and AC adapter?

0 Kudos
Groshelle
1 Copper

I'm using the cord that came with the replacement. I may try using the HDMI port and see if this helps.

0 Kudos

You stated, "I'm using the cord that came with the replacement.". Does that mean you are not using ANY cabling that shipped with the 1st monitor on the 2nd monitor?

0 Kudos
Groshelle
1 Copper

Correct. I bought the original unit from Bestbuy. I returned all parts associated with the monitor to the store  and exchanged this for an all new package; cord and all. 

What I'm trying now is to move my computer further away from the display. I'm running a Macbook Pro "13 in clamshell mode in conjunction with the monitor. I would question the graphics card in the laptop but this operated fine for the first couple of months and the inbuilt display is perfectly fine. 

I'm hoping that this is a case of interference. Maybe the laptop being so close is causing this. We'll see....

If this keeps occurring I'm going to try plugging the monitor into a UPS to see if it's an unsteady current sensitivity that's causing this. 

As I type this, the screen is flickering a bit. 

Is it maybe a capacitor?

I'm no expert!!!

0 Kudos
Groshelle
1 Copper

It's got the potential to be a great monitor. It does this without rhyme or reason. But if it could be fixed... like I said, I think it's a  great monitor otherwise.

Groshelle
1 Copper

If I had a guess.. it would be a cheap bit in the port chip. 

Once again, I'm no expert. 

0 Kudos

Since your monitor only has an attached Dell Order number and not a Service Tag number, contact Dell Customer Support. Provide to them the following data so they can setup a parts exchange =
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Order number:
Reason: Replace the GXYHH AC Adapter and the 5120P Power cord to see if it corrects the issues

0 Kudos
Groshelle
1 Copper

I'm using a 13" macbook pro. But what baffles me is that there will be long stretches when there is no flickering. It seems if it was the graphics card or software (which I highly doubt) the flickering would be continuous. 

Are there a lot of wires around your monitors? Are your computer's on the same circuit or close to one another?

I sat my computer farther away from the monitor and it seemed to stop for quite a while. Ultimately, though, I'm a bit flustered by the whole thing. I don't need a part replaced, it's the monitor. 

0 Kudos