Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2016 22:00

S2716DG, GTX 970, G-Sync, ghosting/white trail

Hi,

I have a problem with my S2716DG when scrolling high contrast text (black on white seems to be worst) - when the text moves, a whiter than background outline is briefly visible for a split second. I have a GTX 970, Windows 8.1, running at 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz.

Short slow motion video of the issue: 

The monitor has no other issues. Is this normal or is the monitor defective? Are there any settings I can try that would mitigate the problem?

Thanks,

Dusahn

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 12th, 2016 20:00

Open the OSD (On Screen Display) -Others. Do a Factory Reset. Start at 2560x1440 60Hz. Retest. Then test 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz with ULMB enabled in the OSD -Display. Read page 32.

The GTX 970 released in September 2014 is most likely the problem. Understand, even the GTX 980 video cards are on the edge. Some have the required 586MHz pixel clock, others do no not. Depends on the manufacturer (EVGA, Asus, etc.). The video card pixel clock must be 586MHz or higher to do G-SYNC 2560x1440 144Hz.
* Open the Nvidia Control Panel
* Go to Display- Change Resolution- Customize- Create Custom Resolution
* Look on the bottom right for the Pixel clock for your video card

GTX 980 pixel clock 586MHz
GTX 970 pixel clock 497MHz
GTX 770 pixel clock 540MHz

2 Posts

January 12th, 2016 22:00

Thanks, with ULMB enabled at 120 Hz the blur is almost eliminated. It's not a perfect solution though as with ULMB the screen is much darker and seems to cause eye strain. It also forces me to switch G-SYNC off to be able to use it which is really inconvenient. After trying to use this setting for a while, I decided to switch ULMB off as overall the experience is worse. Factory reset also helped a bit as my contrast was turned down. Increasing contrast seems to reduce the blur for some background/foreground color combinations.

October 17th, 2017 08:00

So this would be considered a workaround for users of older non-validated Nvidia video cards. Not a solution for users wanting 144Hz.

1 Message

April 30th, 2018 08:00

The issue is with OSD/Display/Response Time, page 32 set to Fast with screen resolution set to 2560x1440 with a refresh rate of 144Hz. I set mine to Normal and the issue went away.  I am running this display with a EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC. If your video card supports G-SYNC then using ULMB is not a solution. ULMB enabled does not support G-SYNC and only goes up to 120Hz refresh rate. I am guessing that the monitor doesn't really support the fast refresh rate setting at 144Hz refresh?

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 18:00

Old post but still very much relevant.

I just wanted to say  thanks for the solution that has eluded me since i got the monitor.  I   had an amd 270x video card and the problem only became noticeable after i bought the rtx 2070 from nvidia.  At first i just noticed the annoying blurring of text when i scrolled down in web pages.  A browser problem i thought and i ignored it.

But then i played GTA 5 and the  problem was a whole lot worse and made game unplayable.  No trouble on old monitor and i thought it must be display port cable that came with dell  (from some reading, it seemed likely the cable shipped was poor.)  I just tried a new dp cable today  (and hdmi).  no luck.  I was contemplating having to return this monitor  until i came across this post.

YES!  changing   fast  to NORMAL response  has solved the problem  (kinda like ghosting but very much more in lighter scenes...  esp gta 5)

So, if you ever stumble across this post again.  many thanks!!!!!    This is still very much an issue that is not obvious.

1 Message

February 17th, 2019 20:00

Arcturi /  qRedStar

Thanks to your posting I just cleaned a ghosting/effect edge issue on a config with a GTX1070 OC8 and a Dell S2817Q  monitor (i.e. switch from FAST to NORMAL).  Also what seemed to generally improve the display was swapping from HDMI, even after manually switching to HDMI 2 in the monitor OSD, to DP.

Thanks a bunch for posting!

No Events found!