Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

December 28th, 2018 23:00

S2716DG, StarTech DP cable, flicker

I've got a S2716DG connected to my GTX 970 on Windows 10. Everything works perfectly when using the supplied DP to DP cable.

I bought a 3m Startech DP to DP cable from Dell, I was doing a bit of research and this Startech cable is certified in Displayport.org. However when using this cable, my monitor flicks on and off randomly a few times once a while. The blinking loses connection as I have speakers connected to the monitor, and I can hear it going off and back on like turning on the monitor.

I have tried turning G-sync off, lower the refresh rate to 120 Hz and back to 144 Hz, install the latest driver for GPU, revert back to an older driver version, but can't seem to find a fix.

I previously also tried a 3m Alogic DP cable that also had the same problem (a bit less severe than Startech), they have pretty bad reviews, but it was the only cable my local computer shop sells.

So now, I'm back onto the short original cable that came with the monitor, but would really like something slightly longer that works. I was really counting on Startech especially when Dell sells them too.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix this problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 30th, 2018 19:00

See the User's Guide page 6. Dell only tested/validated the usage of the 6' cable provided by the monitor manufacturer.

"I was really counting on StarTech especially when Dell sells them too."
Did our sales link to this 3rd party cable specifically list the S2716DG as a tested/validated monitor?

December 31st, 2018 19:00

I'm reading thru the guide, including page 6 and 7 about the product features, but can't seem to find anything about the Displayport cable.

I did not consult with sales to get this 3rd party cable, as I did not think it was necessary. I did a bit of research and read about using Displayport 1.2 certified cables to not have issues, and Startech was one of them.

Do you think I need to hunt for an even better cable elsewhere? Or are there certain settings that I can try that might solve this problem? Or is this monitor simply limited to the supplied cable?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2019 05:00

Or is this monitor simply limited to the supplied cable?
* Dell only tested/validated the usage of the 6' cable provided by the monitor manufacturer.

No Events found!