S2716DG Will Not Turn On

Jump to solution

I've brought this issue up in a separate thread but figured I'd make a new post to see if anyone has had this issue or knows a solution.

Was using my computer/display throughout the day without any issue. Turned off my computer to go to dinner and came back later, turning my computer/monitor back on.

Computer booted up fine, monitor did not seem to turn on. Figured it may be "asleep", so I rebooted the computer again - no luck. At this point, not even the backlight of the monitor was turning on. I was unable to access any menu on the monitor and even the power button seemed unresponsive. 

I did some digging to see what the issue may be/what the solution could be. I read previous posts on this forum and around to try and figure out the cause.

The issue: the monitor will not turn on in any capacity. I am not even at the point where I get the "no input source" nor can I use any of the buttons on the monitor to bring up the OSD menu. The power button seems unresponsive in that after unplugging the monitor, and plugging it back in, the power light will come on, but if I go to turn off the monitor and then turn it back on, the power light no longer will come on as if it does not even understand the input.

What I've tested:

I've used two separate displayport cables to rule out the cable being at fault. I've used two separate power cord (both supplied by Dell monitors) to rule out it being a power cord issue. I've plugged these power cords into separate outlets to rule that out. I've tested the monitor on two separate computers, to ensure it was not an issue with the pc/video card. I have tested the monitor using HDMI as well as display port. I have unplugged all cables, held the power button down for 8 seconds (as suggested here) and plugged back the power cable and display port. 

None of these tests had any results. As mentioned, the monitor just seems to not come on in any capacity. If I had to guess I would say the blacklight stopped working, which seems odd as I've had the monitor for 12 days now and hadn't had any indication anything was failing.

To summarize how the monitor is acting: when I plug in the monitor, the power light will come on, but no images will appear on the monitor, and the blacklight does not turn on - just a powerless screen. If I go to press the power button off and then on, the power light indicator will not come back on. The only way to get the power light indicator to turn on is to completely unplug the monitor, let it sit ant then plug it back in. Any attempt to turn on/off the monitor subsequently does not seem to turn the power light indicator back on.

Nothing has been altered between when the monitor was working and when it failed to turn back on. The display port cable, hdmi cable, power cord and the computer(s) are all functioning and have been ruled out as the issue. I have followed the included troubleshooting guide that came with the monitor and other suggestions posted on the Dell forum.

I have filed a return form to send this monitor back as I believe it is defective. Is this is a known issue, or this is a known issue with a solution, please let me know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
CyciumX
1 Copper

S2716DG, black screen, white power LED, fix

Jump to solution

I know this is almost 2.5 years old, but since I had the same issue even with a newer model (Rev. A08) I figured I'd share my simple solution which was reported by a Dell agent in a different thread.

To clarify, I also would have the white light show after plugging in and powering on the monitor, but the screen would stay completely black, not just displaying nothing. In fact when I would unplug the monitor the white light stayed on! I would repeatedly press the physical buttons in an attempt to drain the capacitors on the board of all electrical charge, but after 5 minutes the light would remain on and again without even being plugged in.

Disconnecting my Display Port to Thunderbolt 3 cable from my computer (MSI GT83VR) didn't do anything, rather I had to remove the USB and video cable from the monitor while the power was plugged in and then power cycle it. For whatever reason the monitor was stuck on "sensing" a connection just from the cable being plugged into the DP port even though it wasn't connected on the other end to any computer. My laptop by the way did not register there being a monitor connected.

The entire issue stems from the monitor refusing to properly reboot/reset when it detected a cable plugged into the Display Port input.

After that first successful return to a functioning monitor I went straight into its options and disabled the heavily suggested, Deep Sleep Mode. Maybe it is a malfunction with moving my keyboard and mouse to the on-board usb 3 hub in the monitor, but either way it works flawlessly now. Though I guess the G-sync unit in the monitor doesn't go to sleep so its no longer power efficient. Whatever... couple extra bucks a year in electricity.

TLSmiley Very HappyR

1. Unplug all monitor cables (USB/HDMI/DP) from the monitor while the monitor is plugged in and the white light is on.
  2. Then, unplug the power cable from the monitor.
  3. Press all the physical buttons on the monitor while it is unplugged and off and wait 30 seconds.
  4. Plug power cable back in.
  5. Turn monitor on and then plug your USB cable and one video cable back in.
4 Replies

RE: S2716DG Will Not Turn On

Jump to solution

This is not a known issue for this model. Go ahead and get it exchanged through Dell Technical Support.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

Do I need to go through technical support first or can I go straight to returns.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

To return it, go through Customer Service, not Technical Support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CyciumX
1 Copper

S2716DG, black screen, white power LED, fix

Jump to solution

I know this is almost 2.5 years old, but since I had the same issue even with a newer model (Rev. A08) I figured I'd share my simple solution which was reported by a Dell agent in a different thread.

To clarify, I also would have the white light show after plugging in and powering on the monitor, but the screen would stay completely black, not just displaying nothing. In fact when I would unplug the monitor the white light stayed on! I would repeatedly press the physical buttons in an attempt to drain the capacitors on the board of all electrical charge, but after 5 minutes the light would remain on and again without even being plugged in.

Disconnecting my Display Port to Thunderbolt 3 cable from my computer (MSI GT83VR) didn't do anything, rather I had to remove the USB and video cable from the monitor while the power was plugged in and then power cycle it. For whatever reason the monitor was stuck on "sensing" a connection just from the cable being plugged into the DP port even though it wasn't connected on the other end to any computer. My laptop by the way did not register there being a monitor connected.

The entire issue stems from the monitor refusing to properly reboot/reset when it detected a cable plugged into the Display Port input.

After that first successful return to a functioning monitor I went straight into its options and disabled the heavily suggested, Deep Sleep Mode. Maybe it is a malfunction with moving my keyboard and mouse to the on-board usb 3 hub in the monitor, but either way it works flawlessly now. Though I guess the G-sync unit in the monitor doesn't go to sleep so its no longer power efficient. Whatever... couple extra bucks a year in electricity.

TLSmiley Very HappyR

1. Unplug all monitor cables (USB/HDMI/DP) from the monitor while the monitor is plugged in and the white light is on.
  2. Then, unplug the power cable from the monitor.
  3. Press all the physical buttons on the monitor while it is unplugged and off and wait 30 seconds.
  4. Plug power cable back in.
  5. Turn monitor on and then plug your USB cable and one video cable back in.