Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2016 10:00

S2716DG not connecting through display port from boot up

I purchased a refurbished S2716DG monitor a couple weeks ago. Whenever I turn my PC off and back on, the monitor doesn't power on. It's receiving power and I can change the DP or HDMI input settings, but it goes straight into power saving mode.

The PC is recognizing the monitor being plugged in; I have a dual monitor setup with the S2716DG and a regular TV (DP for S27, HDMI for TV) and the TV screen will recognize the monitor as plugged into the video card when I unplug DP and plug it back in. Nvidia alerts me a g-sync device is available and I can hear the connection ping sound, but when I open the nvidia control panel the TV is listed as display 2 without a display 1 (the S27 is listed as 1 whenever I get it to work).

The monitor works fine from HDMI, and doesn't have any issues with boot up. Deep sleep has been disabled. It wakes fine when I have the PC sleep, but if I shut down to update or anything, it won't recognize the S27 from DP.

I'm running a home built PC with Windows 10 64 bit, ASUS GTX 970 (1 HDMI, 1 DP input).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2016 08:00

* Purchased directly from Dell or some reseller?
* What is the 20 digit serial number and A0x revision?
* Using HDMI, what is the reported resolution and Hz when you press the Menu button? (2560x1440 60Hz)
* Using DP, what is the reported resolution and Hz when you press the Menu button? (2560x1440 60Hz/85Hz/100Hz/120Hz/144Hz)

6 Posts

May 9th, 2016 18:00

• I purchased it directly from the Dell Outlet store, received it about 2 weeks ago and was looking around to see if there was a solution to the issue. No problems with the screen, very nice for a refurb, but it seems like the DP issue has popped up for a few other people.
  • SN/A0x: CN-0NNV54-74261-59B-0-EDQ-A01
  • HDMI: 2560x1440, 60Hz
  • DP: 2560x1440, 60Hz

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 10th, 2016 20:00

Manufactured on September 11, 2015. We think the issue is when users set the Hz to higher than 60. Then the pre-windows screens have issues appearing. But in your case, it is set to 60Hz. Per the warranty, you may initiate a refurbished monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement monitor does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original monitor. If the replacement monitor has the same issue, I doubt that they both could be defective. Send the replacement monitor back to Dell. Look to the cabling, video card drivers, or video card as the culprit.

6 Posts

May 11th, 2016 13:00

Thanks Chris. So I just go through the customer support line and let them know I'm asking for a refurbished monitor exchange? Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly, the 30 day part of the warranty is almost up. Thanks again!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 11th, 2016 19:00

Correct. Note, the 30 day only applies if you want to return it. A refurbished monitor purchase only entitles you to a refurbished exchange.

6 Posts

May 12th, 2016 10:00

Understood, thank you!

6 Posts

May 12th, 2016 17:00

I have a follow up question. Do you have a direct phone number for someone I can talk to with regards to the exchange, or any advice on what to say? I just tried to go through the returns department on the phone and the rep I spoke with would only offer a refund. I kept getting transferred around/disconnected and ended up getting nowhere.

The returns rep said they wouldn't do an exchange since he believes the exchanged monitor will automatically have the same issue with my computer. I'm pretty sure it's this specific monitor (as opposed to the entire S2716DG model line) and not related to my PC as it works some of the time and my PC will register the monitor being plugged in.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 13th, 2016 07:00

Do you have a direct phone number for someone I can talk to with regards to the exchange?
Nope. Just the normal 800-624-9896 support line. It is your right within the purchased warranty to get an exchange. They cannot refuse this request.

May 30th, 2016 08:00

Josh,

Somewhat of a known issue. i just bought one of these monitors and had the same issue out of the box. I purchased mine at Amazon and someone posted the solution there.

1) Connect with an HDMI cord. This will work.

2) Disable power save mode through the monitor menu.

3) Unplug and plug back on monitor.

4) Unplug your cdmi cord and plug in Displayport and make sure this is the default connect through your monitor menu.

5) Enjoy! These instructions are also posted at Amazon under the reviews for this monitor. Literally the second review has this posted.

6 Posts

May 30th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for trying, but this didn't fix the problem. I immediately disabled deep sleep mode when I purchased the monitor, and it has been disabled the whole time. The issue is still there and still randomly occurs. When I woke my PC up this morning, DP has lost connection again and I will need to do a complete shutdown and unplug the monitor and make sure my HDMI plugin is disconnected before powering on.

1 Message

December 25th, 2016 00:00

Anyone assist me?  Not able to get higher than 60hrz using hdmi.  Can hdmi do over 60hrz?

December 26th, 2016 07:00

I saw your message. I have this monitor, but mine is connected via Displayport. Not positive, but I don't think HDMI supports variable refresh rate.

If you can, try Displayport and I'm sure it will work fine. I found the below online to back up what I was saying.

www.pcworld.com/.../why-amd-freesync-is-beating-nvidia-g-sync-on-monitor-selection-and-price.html

"Monitor makers also have limits on what video inputs they can include. All G-Sync monitors have one DisplayPort input, and in some cases they also include an HDMI input that doesn’t support variable refresh rate. You won’t find any G-Sync monitors with more than two inputs (or with support for DVI). Also, G-Sync doesn’t support variable refresh rate over HDMI. That means every G-Sync monitor must include DisplayPort—again raising the cost to manufacture."

No Events found!