Cell_7
1 Nickel

RE: S2718HN, DDM has no auto mode

Jump to solution

Maybe you can help me with my other issue. Whenever I activate HDR on my monitor and then on Windows everything looks very blurry as if the monitor is running a much lower resolution.

I checked with nVidia Control Panel and it HDR only works if I choose the 10bit or 12bit color depth and will refuse to go to HDR mode if I choose 8bit, which I know is what this monitor supports (6bit+FCR).

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That is normal. Windows will always look bad if HDR is On. Windows itself is not HDR capable. Only dedicated HDR movies and games are HDR capable. Which is why when you go back to non-HDR windows desktop, you have to turn HDR Off.

0 Kudos
swamped1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Re: automode, it turns out this is not supported by design on S2x18 models, but if you are comfortable editing the registry you can bypass this firmware limitation by adding the value "IgnoreF1.7" = 0x00000001 (dword) to HKCU\Software\EnTech\DDM, and then restarting DDM.

Cell_7
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Editing the registry seems to have fixed the issue, thanks a lot!

Weird thought that it is not available for my monitor, I wonder why honestly.

0 Kudos
swamped1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Its because on these models switching between HDR and SDR preset modes generates a hotplug event in Windows. Imagine you had set the default Windows desktop mode = Standard, and had Edge set to MovieHDR. Whenever you switched to or from Edge the screen would blank as a hotplug event was registered and processed by the OS.

With the IgnoreF1.7 switch, DDM substitutes Movie[SDR] and Game[SDR] presets where ever MovieHDR and GameHDR are auto-requested and the system is in SDR mode. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Cell_7
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Absolutely, though to me it would make more sense to have auto mode and give a warning about HDR modes but that's just me I guess, as a power user I would understand but probably other casual users might get confused by it.

0 Kudos