Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 03:00

S2719DC, HDR Reference, dimming, flickering

I recently got this monitor and I was really happy with it. Excellent vibrant colors and brightness. Regarding HDR it has 4 options. 3 of them, Desktop, Movie and Game are pseudo HDR and only Reference is the true HDR mode that takes advantage of the HDR 600 certification. 

When enabling Reference HDR preset, the 4 vertical dimming zones are enabled. But I have an issue with the bottom part of the second from right dimming zone. Upon dark scenes in games especially, both with PC and PS4 pro over HDMI, it flickers and flashes like crazy. This does not happen if I move the camera and position the same scene or any scene to another dimming zone. Is this a monitor defect on the specific area or something else? 

I would really much like an answer on that, cause the monitor is really good but this HDR issue is a deal breaker and cancels the main selling point of this monitor which is HDR 600.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 08:00

Our HDR (High Dynamic Range). monitors utilize our proprietary Dell HDR. This "Dell HDR" is the term used to describe our Dell line of monitors that can receive and process an HDR signal. But they do not adhere to the retail HDR specifications.

Read through page 28. When connected via HDMI, the Menu- Display- SmartHDR offers four HDR choices. When HDR gaming, choose Game HDR, not Reference. When viewing an HDR Movie, choose Movie HDR, not Reference. Then, post a video of these 4 vertical dimming zones showing the issue.

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

Thank you for your answer. I understand the four presets, but the Reference mode was the best all around, without me having changing mode every time. Plus, I really prefer the extra brightness of this mode, compared to Desktop let's say who is noticeably dimmer. Moreover, in games let's say, Game HDR adds some sharpening when I don't want to. As I said, reference was the best all arounder. I cannot upload a video, but I can show you some pics with the issue in the specific area of the monitor.

20190222_193504_resized.jpg20190222_193515_resized.jpg20190222_193518_resized.jpg

This is Reference mode and you can see the issue in the bottom right. Now, this is static image from Windows Explorer. Observe how it lights up when I move the cursor in the black spot. Imagine in games, if a dark area inside a cave let's say is depicted in that specific area, due to minor camera movements also, this part of the monitor starts to flash and flicker. If I move the dark area to another zone, there is no issue at all...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 09:00

Based on those pictures, that display passes our overall uniformity specification. To be sure, post pictures of the colored (gray, red, green, blue, black, white) screens while running the (disconnected from PC) Built-in Diagnostics, page 38.

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 11:00

20190222_212050_resized.jpg20190222_212058_resized.jpg20190222_212103_resized.jpg20190222_212108_resized.jpg20190222_212115_resized.jpg20190222_212120_resized.jpg20190222_212131_resized.jpg

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 11:00

Once again though, the problem is not with static images or movies. The problem appears with Reference HDR preset in the part of the screen I showed you in Windows Explorer were it flickers like crazy in dark scenes during gaming or it remains dark in Windows Explorer again as depicted.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 20:00

The Windows Desktop itself and Windows Explorer are not HDR compatible which is why you and others are seeing that issue when choosing Smart HDR- Reference. The only time Smart HDR should be on is when you are playing an HDR Game or viewing an HDR Movie.

When using the Windows desktop or any other non-HDR content like Windows Explorer, HDR should be Off
* If applicable for your monitor model, change the monitor OSD -Color -Preset Modes to any non-HDR mode
* If applicable for your monitor model, change the monitor OSD -Display -Smart HDR to Off
* Right click on Windows 10 Display Settings
* Switch HDR and advanced colors to Off

When using an HDR Game or HDR Movie, HDR should be On
* If applicable for your monitor model, change the monitor OSD -Color -Preset Modes to Game HDR or Movie HDR
* If applicable for your monitor model, change the monitor OSD -Display -Smart HDR to On, Normal REC 2020, or Vivid DCI-P3
* Right click on Windows 10 Display Settings
* Switch HDR and advanced colors to On

No Events found!