ArkadNaisir
1 Copper

S2719HN, AMD GPU/Software, DDM compatibility issue?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have been directed here by technical support since my issue can't be resolved directly on their end. 

I use two Dell S2719HN on a custom built computer. I use an AMD Radeon RX 590 graphic card and the software coming with it.

The issue I have is with the DDM (Dell Display Manager) software. When I play games (more specifically full screen not windowed program) after 5 minutes, the active display loses signal from the GPU and falls to one functional monitor. When I exit the application, the blank screen doesn't come back.

I checked the power setting (no power down display), the drivers, firmware and software are up to date and it happens with whichever is the active screen.

I suspected it was a conflict in screen management between DDM and AMD Radeon Software. The specifics of why they conflict, I don't know. But, when I uninstalled the DDM, the problem disappeared instantaneously. Since then I had no issue at all.

And so, I have a workaround, not using DDM. I tried to submit a ticket to the development team at Dell to no avail.

The probability is that since Dell doesn't use AMD GPU, they haven't tested them with their DDM software. Or the two programs fight each other in managing the position of windows since both can do it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swamped207
3 Argentium

Re: S2719HN, AMD GPU/Software, DDM compatibility issue?

Jump to solution

I am using AMD graphics with 3 Dell monitors and don't see any issues, so that itself is not it. But there's a lot of information missing from your problem description. Try this:

1. Install and start DDM

2. Run a full screen game until the problem happens

3. Switch back to the Windows desktop

4. While holding down the SHIFT key, right-click on the DDM system tray icon and select "Save diagnostic report" from the popup menu

5. Post the content of that report - its in text file format and will contain your full system information and what was happening when the 2nd monitor disconnected

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swamped207
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I am using AMD graphics with 3 Dell monitors and don't see any issues, so that itself is not it. But there's a lot of information missing from your problem description. Try this:

1. Install and start DDM

2. Run a full screen game until the problem happens

3. Switch back to the Windows desktop

4. While holding down the SHIFT key, right-click on the DDM system tray icon and select "Save diagnostic report" from the popup menu

5. Post the content of that report - its in text file format and will contain your full system information and what was happening when the 2nd monitor disconnected

View solution in original post

Highlighted
ArkadNaisir
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

There seems to have been a change I did unknowingly. When I reinstalled DDM, doing no other changes, the issue did not reappeared. I will accept this solution but I will continue to monitor if it comes back. I may have to reopen.

Thank

0 Kudos