Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2020 15:00

S2721DGFA, add sRGB emulation mode

Are there any plans to add sRGB emulation mode in a firmware upgrade update? Everything else works fine but without this, colors are oversaturated (too much red-green-yellow) outside HDR content in Windows 10, it is something like this:

This is same in standard mode and in сustom Color RGB. It is quite difficult to fix without proper hardware calibrator, SRGB 130%+ is terrible, colors look unnatural and ruins viewing experience outside DCI P3, Rec 2020, AdobeRGB content.

December 12th, 2020 19:00

Dell won't add sRGB emulation mode because it would be an "upgrade" from the original manufacturer specifications listed on the sales page specifications and in the online User's Guide. But, Nvidia added something interesting in their latest drivers. It fixes oversaturation in browsers and even in some games using wide gamut monitors in Windows 10, it is working only in color managed apps.

December 17th, 2020 10:00

this is their answer:

I'm Rahul, one of the Tech Leads for Dell's Social Media Team. I was reviewing this case and see that you had a query to check if sRGB emulation mode can be added in a future firmware. We had this reviewed further by the Product Team. As per the Product Team, there is no plan to emulate sRGB through the firmware to avoid having any changes that may impact the AMD FreeSync Premium Pro requirements. However, the feedback has been passed to the team and they will take this on board for future gaming models.

So main reason is AMD FreeSync Premium Pro support. But they could disable some settings with sRGB mode enabled, when you need FreeSync and brightness settings, you may switch to custom color or standard profile. LG850 also disabled some settings in sRGB mode but it is working at least and colors fine as well.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 10:00

We had this reviewed further by the Product Team. As per the Product Team, there is no plan to emulate sRGB through the firmware to avoid having any changes that may impact the AMD FreeSync Premium Pro requirements. However, the feedback has been passed to the team and they will take this on board for future gaming models.

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 06:00

+1

Almost everything else about this monitor is great. I don't understand why they hamstrung this monitor by not including sRGB when every other implementation of this panel does it. This monitor does so many little things right that are missing on the other nano IPS models, but having everything be oversaturated is a pretty tough dealbreaker.

December 2nd, 2020 10:00

yes, everything else working fine, they have 4 HDR modes, included almost 5-6 gaming modes and no Srgb emulation, it would at least make colors more or less fine working outside DCI P65 content, since in P65 colors are fine and very good, build quiality also very good, very solid stand, lots of usb ports, headphone port, 2XHDMI 2.0 ports, one Display port 1.4, 165Herz freesync+10bit working fine in nvidia control panel using GTX1080-GTX1080Ti with nvidia Dp 1.4 firmware upgrade, only thing is missing Srgb clamp, since monitor has around 135% Srgb it has high overstaturation in windows 10, so either Srgb emulation or good monitor calibrator will fix this in windows 10, other solution is to install Mac Os, but i need windows 10 for gaming and other staff, no dead pixels,no flickering, no ghosting in freesync at 60fps, no other problems that sometimes have similar gaming models on the market, at LG-GN850 colors are better, because it has Srgb emilation, but in everything else dell is better monitor overall, inculding build quaility and monitor stand, i think releasing Srgb fix in new firwmare upgrade would be nice solution and might please most current S2721DGF(A) users as well as future ones, i know lots of people on various forums who has similar oversaturation problem with this model and not most of them willing to spend another 100$+ for monitor calibrator, i think Srgb emulation would do job better and will fix color problem in evewhere not just in color managed applications

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 11:00

How does a monitor calibrator actually help though? Adjusting the gain settings doesn't fix the saturation, and if it's through ICC profiling, well that doesn't work for desktop or most games.

December 2nd, 2020 14:00

i don't have calibrator to test, but others achieved quite good results, but it will work only in color managed applications, like edge,google chrome,firefox,opera and adobe staff, desktop image and most games still will be oversaturated as well as videos outside HDR content, that's why only solution for at least windows 10 users  to release Srgb emulation profile in new firmware upgrade, both S2721DGF and S27DGFA have this problem with colors, too much red,green and yellow because Srgb 135%, above 99% isn't good for colors in windows 10 enviroment, i also checked lg 27gl850 and colors look better than my dell + it has Srgb emulation in settings at least, dell also using very similar nano-ips panel, so it needs fixing, in videos mpv also might fix oversaturation problem with  --target-prim=dci-p3 option i haven't checked it myself, also with calibrator you can achieve good results in madvr using 3DLUT colour management, so calibrator will fix oversaturation in some cases, might buy cheap color calibrator myself later at e-bay if no other solution will be available from dell

3 Posts

December 16th, 2020 23:00

Followed. I agree with this post, dell should add an "srgb" mode in this monitor. Inaccurate colors in apps that are not color managed (video players, sony vegas editor, windows photos, windows desktop etc.) makes color accurate work impossible despite the fact that this panel has awesome colors. I have calibrated the monitor using a SpyderX however only chrome and adobe stuff seems to use the calibration profile.

Bruh, like the LG850 monitor uses the same panel and they have an srgb mode. i don't see why dell wouldn't add one. Just hope dell engineers see this post.

December 21st, 2020 04:00

I saw lots of posts on Reddit about this problem. Even on Russian yandex market people asking about sRGB emulation. Oversaturation in Windows 10 is probably main problem that S2721DGF(A) models have. Otherwise the monitor is quite good, 165Hz+10bit+HDR also working fine using DP cable and GTX1080-1080Ti, both fine. To fix this I use this settings =

Capture.JPG

But to fix oversaturation problem globally you need sRGB emulation mode to tame sRGB 130%. DCI-P3 content is fine as well, there's no oversaturation in HDR mode. This is a Windows 10 problem, the macOS is working fine.

1 Message

January 18th, 2021 08:00

Really hope Dell can add sRGB mode to this monitor via future firmware update. This is a waste of such a good monitor.

No Events found!