Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2009 14:00

SP2208WFP Monitor won't keep a signal

Hi, I've had this SP2208WFP monitor for a little over a year now and have not had a single issue until yesterday. While working on the computer the monitor blacked out as if it had gone into power save mode, however the blue light was still on which tells me it didn't and lost a signal. So after an hour of messing around with different things, checking the RAM to make sure it was locked in place, powering on and off, different cables, and even connecting my laptop via HDMI and it will do the same thing, It gets a signal for a few seconds, and then loses the signal, all while producing a static noise almost as if the speakers are on, despite the fact I had them unplugged to see if it wasn't getting enough power.

This is the first real big issue I've had with the monitor and have no idea how I could go about fixing it, so any and all suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2011 18:00

* Turn off the monitor  -- DONE
* Unplug the monitor from the computer (ALL cables)  -- DONE
* Plug the monitor power cord directly into the wall socket  -- DONE
* Turn on the monitor -- DONE
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background -- YES, IT APPEARS
* What appears on your monitor? Does it black out? -- THAT FLOATING "RED/GREEN/BLUE/WHITE DIALOG BOX" APPEARS ALONG WITH THE INPUT SIGNAL FROM THE COMPUTER.  THAT REMAINS ON SCREEN FOR ABOUT 2-3 SECONDS.  THEN IT TURNS OFF.

It sounds like this is a pretty common issue for these monitors.  Has anyone found a solution for those of us who are no longer covered by warranty?

1 Message

May 1st, 2011 18:00

I am having the same problem. I hooked the monitor up to another computer and same problem. Therefore I know it is monitor based and not computer. It is frustrating since this seems to be a common problem with these monitors.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 1st, 2011 19:00

Mayery

You've posted in a thread that's over 2 years old! :emotion-4: You should have started your own new thread and included the exact monitor model and PC model etc.

Since you've already determined that it's a monitor failure, there isn't much more we can tell you. Unfortunately, hardware fails. Some times sooner than we want or expect.

So unless you have still have a warranty on it, I don't think Dell is going to do anything for you. And on the basis of one thread, it's hard to say it's a "common" problem with this particular model. :emotion-6:

Ron

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 26th, 2009 20:00

Raid3n,

Did you try both VGA and DVI?

* Turn off the monitor
* Unplug the monitor from the computer (ALL cables)
* Plug the monitor power cord directly into the wall socket
* Turn on the monitor
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background
* What appears on your monitor? Does it black out?

2 Posts

June 27th, 2009 00:00

I tried both VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I can get the dialog box but it still lasts only a couple seconds and then blacks out, However I have noticed that it will still show the picture, I found out switching through the inputs will show it and I was able to boot windows, right now it is going through the repair center and I can still see the picture, Which that tells me that the display light is turning off after a few seconds.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 29th, 2009 07:00

My apologies, I have no idea what you are saying.

What is the "picture"? How can a picture tell you the monitor LED is on or off?

2 Posts

June 29th, 2009 13:00

Raid3n,

* Turn off the monitor
* Turn on the monitor
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background

I have exactly the same problem with this monitor and it just started yesterday (1 month out of warranty). I followed your steps above and the result is that the red/green etc, dialogue box appears for a second and the screen goes black. The power light and the blue indicator light at position 1 remain on. Do you know what caused this? Thanks, michael

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 29th, 2009 22:00

I am not sure of the root cause. Will ask around.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2010 09:00

Did you find anything for this problem?  I've experienced the exact same problem as the earlier posters.

For me, I have a 2 monitor setup.  My Dell system was purchased July 2, 2008.  My second monitor in the 2 monitor in the set up was a "left-over" monitor from our previous system.  This monitor "went black" around April 2009, so we purchased a new, second monitor last April from Dell.  Now just last week the original monitor purchased with my new Dell system in July 2008 "went black" too (the monitor purchased in April still works).  Both failing monitors would start up and then go black after a few seconds.  Now, you can just barely see a very dark gray picture on the black screen (not enough to make out the details of the picture, but enough to see the outline of the underlying dialog boxes, etc.).  VERY FRUSTRATING to deal with this recurring problem.  Even more so because, of course, the system is out of warrenty.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 11:00

Just curious if you've tried to connect a different monitor to your video card.

4 Posts

Thanks for the reply Chris!  My wife is a CPA who works from home and this is primarily her PC for her work.  When the first monitor (last April) went loco... I did try both VGA and DVI ports to no avail.  If I'm not mistaken there are not two VGA ports on our video card (only two DVI ports), but I did try both types on the monitor.  The VGA option was tried using a laptop and the monitor did not work with the laptop.  I have not tried both port options for this latest occurrence.  My wife has been using the secondary monitor as her only monitor for the last few days.  It seems really weird to me that 2 dell monitors have failed with the exact same issue on the same PC/Video Card configuration.

I had my wife try all the points that you posted above and this is what she said happened (I called her and walked her through the steps, one by one):

I could see in a dark background (meaning it was VERY dim) the DELL logo flashed on for a second (it didn't flash normally, but VERY dark and dim), then it said it "detected power save" and went to an orange power light and everything stayed black.

I've seen a lot of similar type posts on the forum but no resolutions for this problem.  Any ideas???

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

* Turn off the monitor
* Turn on the monitor

4 Posts

February 9th, 2010 12:00

dtsllc... thanks for asking.  Yes... we are using a 2 monitor configuration and the secondary monitor (thankfully) is still working.  So the card appears to be working for the other monitor.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 12:00

dtsllc... thanks for asking.  Yes... we are using a 2 monitor configuration and the secondary monitor (thankfully) is still working.  So the card appears to be working for the other monitor.

No problem. A few other questions.

Can you try plugging in the second monitor into the port where the 1st monitor is plugged into? Sometimes video cards can be wacky and only the DVI side will work correctly and not the VGA and vice-versa?

Also, sorry if you already answered this but, have you tried looking for updated drivers, or have you tried rolling back the drivers?

How about safe mode, does everything work correctly in safe mode?

Have you experienced any blue screens? Which usually indicate driver failure?

Can you see if any of the pins on the monitor cord are damaged, a possible fix could be changing the monitor cord.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2010 07:00

dtsllc... The second (working) monitor works in both DVI ports. Our video card only has two DVI ports, it does not have a VGA port. And the primary (non-working) monitor does not work in either port. I didn't see any new drivers and no updates had been done in over 6 months.  The monitor does not work in safe mode and my wife reported no blue screens.  I switched the cords and both cords work with the working monitor.

My wife said that before the screen went totally black that is was shifting colors from the top of the screen to the bottom for an hour or so before it just went black.  I think the monitor is getting a signal because if you turn in on and off you get a flash of the underlying screen for a second before it goes dark.  (This was critical to get the control panel open to change the secondary monitor to the primary one).

No Events found!