JBrooksE
1 Copper

Re: SP2208WFP Monitor won't keep a signal

Jump to solution

dtsllc... thanks for asking.  Yes... we are using a 2 monitor configuration and the secondary monitor (thankfully) is still working.  So the card appears to be working for the other monitor.

0 Kudos
dtsllc
1 Copper

Jump to solution

dtsllc... thanks for asking.  Yes... we are using a 2 monitor configuration and the secondary monitor (thankfully) is still working.  So the card appears to be working for the other monitor.

No problem. A few other questions.

Can you try plugging in the second monitor into the port where the 1st monitor is plugged into? Sometimes video cards can be wacky and only the DVI side will work correctly and not the VGA and vice-versa?

Also, sorry if you already answered this but, have you tried looking for updated drivers, or have you tried rolling back the drivers?

How about safe mode, does everything work correctly in safe mode?

Have you experienced any blue screens? Which usually indicate driver failure?

Can you see if any of the pins on the monitor cord are damaged, a possible fix could be changing the monitor cord.

0 Kudos
JBrooksE
1 Copper

Jump to solution

dtsllc... The second (working) monitor works in both DVI ports. Our video card only has two DVI ports, it does not have a VGA port. And the primary (non-working) monitor does not work in either port. I didn't see any new drivers and no updates had been done in over 6 months.  The monitor does not work in safe mode and my wife reported no blue screens.  I switched the cords and both cords work with the working monitor.

My wife said that before the screen went totally black that is was shifting colors from the top of the screen to the bottom for an hour or so before it just went black.  I think the monitor is getting a signal because if you turn in on and off you get a flash of the underlying screen for a second before it goes dark.  (This was critical to get the control panel open to change the secondary monitor to the primary one).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gamesogre
1 Copper

Jump to solution

* Turn off the monitor  -- DONE
* Unplug the monitor from the computer (ALL cables)  -- DONE
* Plug the monitor power cord directly into the wall socket  -- DONE
* Turn on the monitor -- DONE
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background -- YES, IT APPEARS
* What appears on your monitor? Does it black out? -- THAT FLOATING "RED/GREEN/BLUE/WHITE DIALOG BOX" APPEARS ALONG WITH THE INPUT SIGNAL FROM THE COMPUTER.  THAT REMAINS ON SCREEN FOR ABOUT 2-3 SECONDS.  THEN IT TURNS OFF.

It sounds like this is a pretty common issue for these monitors.  Has anyone found a solution for those of us who are no longer covered by warranty?

0 Kudos
MayerY
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. I hooked the monitor up to another computer and same problem. Therefore I know it is monitor based and not computer. It is frustrating since this seems to be a common problem with these monitors.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Mayery

You've posted in a thread that's over 2 years old! You should have started your own new thread and included the exact monitor model and PC model etc.

Since you've already determined that it's a monitor failure, there isn't much more we can tell you. Unfortunately, hardware fails. Some times sooner than we want or expect.

So unless you have still have a warranty on it, I don't think Dell is going to do anything for you. And on the basis of one thread, it's hard to say it's a "common" problem with this particular model.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos