Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2009 09:00

ST2410 desktop size too small

Hi all,  Just got my Stdio Slim 540 along with an ST2410 monitor.  Monitor is connected to the ATI4350 card via HDMI, and resolution is set to 1920x1080 - operating system is W7 64bit.  There is a 1" black bar on both sides of my desktop, and about 1/2" on top and bottom.  In other words, the desktop doesn't fill the screen.  Any ideas?  This monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

I am having the same exact problem, except I don't have the Slim model 540. I updated to the latest ATI Radeon driver (8.671.0.0). I also tried to update the monitor driver, but when the extractor file did not seem to have an .exe file included. I also checked the settings on the monitor and it is set to fill.

I don't have this problem when I use a VGA cable to connect the video card to the monitor (i.e the screen fills the entire monitor).

Is there any way to fill the screen using the HDMI cable? Please help. Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2009 13:00

You should manually install the monitor inf file. There is not an executable to do this.

* Download the monitor driver to your desktop
* Doubleclick the downloaded file from your desktop
* Unzip the driver into its own folder on the desktop
* Open the Device Manager -
XP = Press the Window key and the Pause Break key. Click Hardware. Click Device Manager
Vista = Press the Window key and the Pause Break key. Click Device Manager
* Click the icon left of Monitors
* Double click the monitor listed
* Click the Driver tab
* Click the Update Driver button
* Click No, not at this time
* Click Next
* Dot Install from a list or specific location
* Click Next
* Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
* Click Next
* Click Have Disk
* Click Browse and navigate to the folder on your desktop that has the unzipped monitor inf file
* Click the monitor inf file
* Click Open
* Click OK
* Click your monitor and the port your using (DVI or VGA)
* Click Next
* Click Finish

610 Posts

November 29th, 2009 14:00

Chris:

I had already done that, and I should have mentioned it.  After reading many other posts in the video and general hardware forums, I am thinking the ATI card will not work with HDMI - I intend to call in for a service call, but I don't intend to reload OS, or do much else except have someone take a look from Dell's end.  If they drag it out too much, I will just spend $50 and purchase a similar card with Nvidia chips that work, according to the posts I have seen in this forum.  It is too bad the system as shipped was not tested.  It seems kind of sad that so many machines with ATI cards had problems out of the box.

Thanks Chris, your instructions on how to load the monitor driver were exactly right - I should have taken the time to write those out!

62 Posts

November 30th, 2009 00:00

Hi the ATI card works fine with HDMI, you need to go in the ATI driver control panel and find the setting for OVERSCAN, for some strange reason it will defaults to its

minimum, setting the slider all the way up will fix the issue. I get that issue everytime I connect my Media Center (ATI card on motherboard) to a different monitor/TV.

Try to follow this procedure:

1. Based on the navigation system contained in the ATI Catalyst™ Control Center window, do one of the following:
    • Navigation menu—From the display palette on the Desktops & Displays page, click the desired TV, and then click Configure in the context menu that appears.
    • Navigation tree—From the tree in the Graphics Settings tab, expand TV Properties.
  2. Click Adjustments.
  3. Move the Underscan/Overscan slider to adjust the overall size of the image on the TV. Use this slider to adjust any visible black borders around the edge of the image.
    Note: The slider is not available for TVs configured to use a custom or the default optimized timing mode.

I'll see if I can post any picture of where the setting is and how it works.

610 Posts

November 30th, 2009 08:00

Panzaman,

That took care of it - many thanks.  Note that there are two places to select the monitor to adjust - only the lower one gives you the options discussed.  Thanks a lot!

62 Posts

November 30th, 2009 23:00

by the way, once you are there check that the refresh rate is set to 60hz, the ATI HDMI connection has the habit to set it by default to 59hz, which causes the screen to flicker every now and then.

1 Message

December 14th, 2009 10:00

I have a new AT 2410 monitor attached to new Latitude E5500 with Windows 7.  Like others, I have not been able to get the monitor to fill to the sides. I have not been able to follow the proceedures suggested. Could the protocol with Windows 7 be different?

2 Posts

December 14th, 2009 12:00

I have a new AT 2410 monitor attached to new Latitude E5500 with Windows 7.  Like others, I have not been able to get the monitor to fill to the sides. I have not been able to follow the proceedures suggested. Could the protocol with Windows 7 be different?

Try panzaman's suggestion above; that worked for me. Be sure you right-click on the display in the bottom left corner to find the correct menu.

1 Message

November 19th, 2011 21:00

Thank You, Thank You for posting this, its been driving me crazy for a year.

Why they have to make this so complicated and not explain it somewhere beats me.

No Events found!