I have recently bought a new Dell U2312HM monitor from an online store. When I connected it to my laptop via VGA cable properly, I am seeing that the screen is extremely grainy and flickering/shaking. Screen is full of wave like lines. I have installed the driver given in CD and auto adjusted it. The screen resolution is set to native 1920x1080 and frequency is 60Hz.
Here is photo of the screen:
There is nothing wrong with my laptop as I was until now using another Viewsonic monitor which was working fine. I tried using this Dell monitor with another of my computer and it is also showing same problem. When I press the menu in monitor and even when it displays "The display will go into power save mode in 5 minutes", there is no such graininess and flickering. I am thinking it is due to some issue in the vga holder of the monitor and am thinking of calling back the store. Can there be any issue in software driver or something that will cause similar symptoms?
Be sure you are using the Dell supplied VGA cable.
* When connected and both the monitor and computer are on, press the Menu button on the monitor
* Go to Other Settings, choose Factory Reset, Reset All Settings
* Go to Auto Adjust, allow it to adjust
If it still does not look correct, run the monitor BID (Built-in Diagnostic) -
* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect all cables from the monitor except the power cord
* Looking at the monitor buttons top to bottom (or left to right), press and hold buttons 1 and 4 down for two seconds
* An all Gray screen appears
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Red
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Green
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Blue
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Black
* Press button 4. The screen changes to White
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Text
* Press button 4 to exit the test
If the monitor showed all of the colors and text correctly, the monitor is functioning. The issue is with either the video card, cabling, or the video card driver.
Thanks for the reply Chris!
I have tried the BID and all the colors are showing correctly, except there was no text , just a message box saying "No VGA Cable". Also I had to turn the monitor on to run the test(minor point, but might be useful for others).
I would rule out video card as I have been using a Viewsonic monitor which is working properly.
I will try to get a DP cable to narrow down the possibilities.
Pressing and holding buttons 1 and 4 down for two seconds, then letting up should turn the monitor on?
No, it didnt. I turned on the monitor and then switching on the 1st and 4th buttons initiated the BID testing.
One more thing, since this is 23inch monitor, I do not have Service Tag for warranty purposes. I have read a few posts where you have asked to send monitor details in PM to get service tag and express service code. I am sending my details to you, could you please generate a service tag for me?
We do not provide service tag or express service code for 24" and smaller monitors. The only way to tie a 24" or smaller monitor to a Dell warranty is -
* If purchased directly from Dell, you received a Dell order number tying you to the monitor purchase
* If not purchased from Dell, save the invoice from the store. Based on the purchase date on that invoice, we will warranty the monitor for 3 years. So you would provide the following data to the Dell Order Support representative if you ever need a monitor replacement:
Brick or Online Store =
Purchase date =
Monitor Model =
Dell Monitor PPID Serial number:
Shipping Address =