Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2010 17:00

Sepia tone on dell 3008wfp

Hello,

I received my 3008wfp on saturday and I noticed right away that in screenshots I have taken with Print Screen and even with in game keyboard shortcuts that they all have a slight sepia tone to them. I thought it may have just been an oddity with whatever system captures the image but then I looked at some black and white photos in my pictures folder and they also have a sepia tone to them. The colour is also subtly uneven on large white expanses, for instance on this posting page the bottom of the area where the links are are slightly more sepia toned than the upper left of the window. I can detect this by moving a black and white image around the screen and the sepia tone radiates upwards from the bottom centre of the monitor, where the dell center speaker is attached (if that matters, maybe magnets?).

Is this an issue with the dvi-d port, the dvi-d cable or even the graphics card (nvidia GTX285x2 in SLI)?

To clarify, the monitor is at factory settings and I am using the DVI-D 2 port. Should I test the other port and the ports on the graphics cards? I also have a DVI-D>HDMI converter so I can also try a hdmi cable if that's recommended.

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 06:00

Test all the ports you can and post pictures of the issue.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

This is very strange. I opened both of those links and the sepia tone is gone when viewing them in internet explorer. No matter where they are on the screen. I tested this out further by opening a black and white image in windows photo viewer and placed it at the bottom of the screen where the sepia tone is the worst and then opened the same image in microsoft paint, placing them side by side at the same zoom level. In paint it appears as it should, black and white but in windows photo viewer it has that sepia tone.

Games aren't affected by this I should note, so the problem seems to lie directly with windows photo viewer strangely. I've never encountered something like this before.

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

I have tested both DVI-D ports on the monitor using the DVI-D cable over the two graphics cards and the result is the same. Here is a picture of the NVIDIA control panel maximised as an example:

http://i50.tinypic.com/5ee2c3.png

I sent a similar image, using a white expanse in microsoft paint to a friend to see if he could see it. He couldn't and it looked normal to him. Confused, I asked him to send me a print screen of his desktop, showing the image I sent him. It was then that I saw that a totally seperate mostly white window on his screen appeared with a sepia tint, indicating that it was a problem with my monitor. Let me know if that image above appears with a sepia tint.

The sepia tone still exists when using the DVI-D>HDMI converter, however, strangely, my maximum resolution when using it is only 1920x1200. Here's the result:

http://i45.tinypic.com/wcl6l4.jpg

Considering what my friend saw i don't imagine you'll see the sepia tone but it'll be interesting to know your findings.

No Events found!