Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 18th, 2010 14:00

Still confused about DVI connections and monitors after reading FAQ

Hello-

I was looking at a Dell 30" monitor, and noted that the following warning was on the LCD description:  "IMPORTANT: To view the 3007WFP-HC monitor native resolution of 2560x1600, your PC must have a dual-link DVI-D compatible graphics card that supports this resolution."

I read the FAQ and looked at the wiki on the different types of DVI connections and also pulled up the technical specifications of my Radeon X1900XTX graphics card.  In the specifications of my graphics card , it says the following:

Display Support
  • Dual integrated dual-link DVI for high-resolution digital displays
  • DVI-I connectors for digital CRTs or flat panel displays

Also, when I looked at the Wiki in the FAQ, I compared the pictures to what I visually see on the back of my card, and my video card has a DVI jack that looks like one that is the second one down from the top.  I'm confused because the Dell webpage makes reference to "dual link DVI-D" and the display support of my graphics card web page says, "dual integrated dual-link DVI for high-resolution digital displays," but doesn't mention the "-D" part that Dell does.

So if I'm looking at either the Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC or the Dell 27" U2711, does my current graphics card meet the requirements to fully utilize the capabilities of these two monitors at max resolution?
Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 18th, 2010 18:00

I do not know what the max resolution will be, but your video card will not do 2560x1600 on monitors that have a DVI-D Dual Link connector. You would need a video card with DVI-D Dual Link connectors. The 4th from the top.

16 Posts

February 18th, 2010 19:00

Thanks......I was thinking that since my card had the "extra" 4 squares around the little slash in the wiki, that somehow it was backwards compatible.

So what happens if I plug that 30" Dell into my video card then?  My video card said it supports the max resolution of the monitor, but apparently I don't have the proper DVI receptacle?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 19th, 2010 07:00

It will work, but I don't know what the max resolution will be. I would just hook it up and test it and let us know.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 19th, 2010 09:00

Ask the guys on the Desktop Video Forum board if they are using the Radeon X1900XTX video card with a 30" monitor and what resolutions they get.

16 Posts

Will do!  Didn't think there would be many people doing that!

16 Posts

He-he.  Yeah, I'd love to do that but I don't want to drop $1000 on a monitor and not know if it will work or how well!

No Events found!