Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2017 02:00

Terrible overshooting on the P2717H

I bought this monitor for console gaming. It's snappy (unnoticable input lag) and the picture quality is really nice... that is if nothing is moving.

The overshooting on this model is absolutely terrible on both overdrive settings (fast and normal) and makes games unplayable. Especially the fast setting which causes a stupid amount of overshooting (black borders on moving elements that are more than 0.5cm thick) so even desktop applications suffer since there's a black mouse cursor following the real one.

When I disable overdrive completely through the factory menu the picture is just perfect. But these changes don't persist. I have to disable overdrive every single time I turn on the monitor and opening the factory menu resets my other settings.

If I'm going to keep this monitor I need a way to permanently disable overdrive.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 8th, 2017 09:00

Just turning the monitor off should not "reset" the changes you made in the OSD (On Screen Display). I could see if the monitor power cable were unplugged, that a OSD reset could happen or turning off the surge protector which is the same thing. You mentioned console gaming. That means that you are connecting to the P2717H HDMI in port. Can you test the P2717H on a computer using its DisplayPort to see if you get the same overshooting issues? Then on the computer using HDMI?

August 8th, 2017 09:00

Thank you for replying Chris.

To clarify: Disabling the overdrive is only possible via the factory menu and the settings are not saved and therefore do not apply after restarting the monitor.

And the standard OSD settings are completely reset as soon as I access the factory menu.

What I want is quite simple:

1. permanently disable OD via the factory menu

2. configure the rest of the settings via the normal OSD and never access the factory menu ever again

I get that the factory menu shouldn't normally be accessed by the end user but in this case Dell should have simply included an option to disable overdrive in the standard OSD in the first place.

I'll try using a DP cable as soon as I get my hands on one. But I don't see how this would fix my problem because consoles don't have DP outputs.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 8th, 2017 10:00

I see, it never occured to me that you were in the Service Center factory menu and not in the customer facing standard OSD (On Screen Display) menu. I cannot speak to the factory menu, only the customer facing standard OSD menu. There will not be a firmware released to enable or disable overdrive in the customer facing standard OSD menu.

I didn't say test on the consoles, "Can you test the P2717H on a computer using its DisplayPort to see if you get the same overshooting issues?". IF the P2717H DP does not have issues, then you have isolated the culprit to either the P2717H HDMI in, HDMI cabling, or some console video setting in its Menus.

August 8th, 2017 12:00

Yes that is how I interpreted it: Connect the laptop via DP and rule out/confirm that it's the HDMI connection.

There will not be a firmware released to enable or disable overdrive in the customer facing standard OSD menu.

Well in that case I'll send it back. Since the monitor is theoretically capable of being a great gaming monitor I have no sympathy whatsoever for Dell not including such an option.

Good thing I already bought a Iiyama ProLite XB2783HSU which offers an equally stunning picture (using an AMVA+ panel) and guess what - has 4 overdrive settings (Off, 1, 2 and 3) accessible through the OSD - what more could I ask for? :)

No Events found!