Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2014 12:00

Terrible text resolution on the U2415

Help!  

I just received my U2415 monitor a week ago and so far am not pleased.  The issue I'm having is the resolution of the texts.  Pictures look great!  Letter O's can look smeared.  It's hard to read one sentence without straining my eyes.

I have my monitor connected to a 2014 Mac Mini via the stock mini DP to DP cable.  I tried tweaking the sharpness, contract, (the basic stuff), etc with no success.  

I'm very close to returning this monitor unless there is a solution.  Am I just spoiled by looking at the Retina display on my macbook pro?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

29 Posts

December 29th, 2014 12:00

I don’t know if this is likely to happen on a Mac over the DP connection, but generally looks like a symptom of displaying non-native resolution. Can you check if you have set correct resolution for this display? Its native resolution is 1920×1200.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2015 12:00

know i am a bit late to this topic but was just wondering if you found a solution?

I have also just got this monitor running in native resolution and find the text hard on my eyes.

I have had monitor duel screen setup in windows 7 with my old Eizo lcd. when viewing the display window dialog box the 1920x1200 text and other text has a bit of a red not sharp around edges. the "X" looks worst. When I look at same window dialog on Eizo monitor it looks fine and sharp. its like font is not matching pixels. other text in web pages is not as bad but still harsh on eyes compared to Eizo screen.

I have also tried all setting and connected DVI > HTMI

I am finding it very hard to live with :(

be good to see if you got it fixed?

29 Posts

December 14th, 2015 05:00

Maybe if you included a close-up photo of the text rendering, it could help identify if there is an actual problem. For instance, I’m using U2412M—and the 1920×1200 on 24″ is just natively coarse. I would have preferred a finer display.

4 Posts

December 20th, 2015 04:00

This is not what I was taking about previously but is also a problem which is making text not nice to read on my dell u2415 monitor. Think is like you mentioned is messy and not aligned to pixels very well. I have sharpness at original settings 50%, win7, native resolution 1920x1200 nvidia 8600gt

not happy with the text on monitor or matt sprinkle coating that may be a cause in doing this to text.

I wont buy a dell again and will rethink matt screens as they are poor compared to 10 year old screens.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2015 09:00

he-he-he, "eizo-dude" ian23, you've just copy image from i-net! this is mine screenshot & as U can see it's everything perfect with text with native 1920x1200 resolution on U2415 Dell monitor http://i.imgur.com/rbzs688.jpg ...LOOOOOL!

29 Posts

December 28th, 2015 13:00

One idea watching the close-up is that it looks like Windows’ ClearType is off… But the photo isn’t very sharp or detailed. (But the setting shouldn’t change with changing monitors…)

Another could be a faulty cable. Do you connect your Eizo using the same cable? (I wouldn’t think so, given its age.)

And I suppose you also tried to factory-reset your monitor?

29 Posts

December 28th, 2015 13:00

One idea watching the close-up is that it looks like Windows’ ClearType is off… But the photo isn’t very sharp or detailed. (But the setting shouldn’t change with changing monitors…)

Another could be a faulty cable. Do you connect your Eizo using the same cable? (I wouldn’t think so, given its age.)

And I suppose you also tried to factory-reset your monitor?

29 Posts

December 28th, 2015 23:00

Re ClearType: By any chance, didn’t your Eizo have a different order of RGB subpixels? That would wreak havoc to text display on another monitor without altering the setting in Windows.

Anyways, you may try to go through ClearType tuning for the new monitor.

No Events found!