Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2013 11:00

U2312 not showing black information

Hello,

i own a Dell U2312 about a month now. I was suspicious about the black detail that the monitor can show. Today i compared my monitor right next to another and found out finally that my Dell monitor is not showing lots of black information on images, making my job in image editing impossible. I tried different profiles and monitor settings, but none seemed to show any good results. With the same settings from my nVidia on the second monitor the results were as they were supposed to. The only way to show that lost black detail is to set the Gamma from my nVidia panel to 1.4 or 1.5 which is way to much. An example can be shown on the image below (please do open link for the image). The numbers on the image show following:
1) On my second monitor i can see that there is a connection between those two parts, on dell not.
2) That region seems almost totally black on dell, while on the second monitor i can see there are two different blacks , light and almost total black.
3) I cannot see the trails of the tire on my Dell while i can on the second monitor.

Please do tell me if you see something else from what i see from my second monitor. Furthermore suggest my some solutions that i could try. I have tried to change the Brightness and Contrast levels , even up to 100% for brightness, but the results were still the same.

July 25th, 2013 12:00

Open your Nvidia control panel. Under "Display" click on "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" Now under #3 on "Digital Color Format"  click on the RGB tab and select "YCbCr444" then click "Apply"

Hopefully that solves your issue. Some monitors play differently with Nvidia based GPU's and don't display colors properly under the RGB spectrum.

11 Posts

July 26th, 2013 10:00

Unfortunately there is no such setting on my nvidia panel  . Just checked

11 Posts

Monitors name without any problem. I have installed the latest drivers.

Unfortunately i cannot try at the current stage my monitor on another system to ensure that

it is my system that is unable to handle the monitor, or the monitor that has some problem.

11 Posts

Sure. Its a Nvidia GeForce 8600M Gs

That is interesting. Do you know which GPU from Nvidia you are using?

Interesting, I would definitely suggest trying this monitor out on another computer whenever it is an option available to you. It's extremely easy to mess up the color while making changes in the control panel. I was looking at some options using the picture you had posted and after simply clicking "digital vibrance" my black levels changed for the worse and had stayed that way even though I declined to save the changes. Sometimes it can get a little confusing as to what is causing the color shift, for there is the 'Monitor Setting', 'Nvidia Setting', and 'Application Setting'.

Hopefully someone here will have some better information for you, but I'd definitely suggest trying it out on a different computer before spending alot of your valuable time troubleshooting it in 'Windows'. Hope the best.

So you are connecting this monitor to a laptop, hmm. When you are in the Nvidia control panel, or even while in 'Windows' "change resolution", does it show your monitors name or does it just say "Generic PnP Monitor"?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 30th, 2013 08:00

rockreactor,

You do not mention what port on the computer is connected to what port on the monitor. The monitor has VGA, DVI, and DP (DisplayPort). Have you tested all of them.

Open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) Menu -Other Settings -Factory Reset and choose Reset All Settings.

Open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) Menu- Color Settings. Choose RGB, PC, Standard (there are 5 others you can test).

Open the Nvidia Control Panel- Adjust desktop color settings and click on Restore Defaults in the upper right corner. Now, test the image.

11 Posts

July 30th, 2013 08:00

Hello,

Unfortunately my Laptop has only VGA and HDMI output, i use the VGA output.

I did reset the settings while also tested the rest of the preset modes. None of them changed anything in the blacks.

As for the nvidida  contro panel, i tried to use both the default nVidia settings but also tried the option "Other applications control color settings"

The only way to make that black information visible to my monitor is to put the Gamme setting at about 1.4 , which makes then the rest of the colors look dull.

11 Posts

July 30th, 2013 10:00

Furthermore , just installed latest nVidia drivers but also latest dell drivers , still nothing changed.

Those are some bad news...

July 30th, 2013 17:00

I apologize, I made a mistake and assumed you were using the DVI/DP on this monitor. I don't know anyone who still use an analog signal cable, and it was ignorant of me to assume you weren't either

The option for YCbCr444 is only available as a digital color format and requires the use of a digital connection. If you are able, you can try using a HDMI to DVI cable and see if it makes the difference on it's own, if not, then you would be able to then test the different color format (not all monitors are capable of properly displaying this format, but I'm sure someone at Dell can inform you whether it can or not) Nvidia has had a know issue caused by specific variables that restricted the black level output to 16-235 rather than the the full 0-255 when using a digital connection and there is a 'tool' out there to fix it, although I won't post outside links in this forum, you can find it using Google.

11 Posts

July 30th, 2013 23:00

Hello Andrew. Thank you for you answer.

I am not sure that not using the DVI should create problems. What would be the reason in having a VGA interface on the monitor ? Even more simple, how did everyone work before the DVI appeared ?

As for the nVidia of course i can accept it that there can be something faulty in it. Do you please provide further information in order to be able to search about this topic more ?

Thank you for the advice about the HDMI, i will surely give it a try, frankly talking i haven't thought about it as i considered it of a lower quality. Still i am unsure about it, if the nVidia cannot handle colors well then it won't make any difference no matter the connection type. Surely i will give HDMI i try within the next few days and let you know.

Thank you again Andrew

July 31st, 2013 00:00

No problem rockreactor, It's my pleasure in attempting to help someone out.

As far as VGA vs DVI etc., it can be considered like VHS vs DVD. Yes we got along just fine with the quality of tapes, but something better was introduced, the Digital Video Disc. It's still possible to use VHS players (like VGA) but there would be a significant drop in quality while doing so. It's not to say that, not using DVI would cause problems; rather, DVI is just capable of providing much better quality, at higher resolutions, with more bandwidth. (VHS>>DVD)

The VGA cable heavily relies on the quality of an electrical signal generated at one end and received at the other. Which is why alot of 'high end' cables had gold plated connectors etc. The quality of the image depends on how strong and clean the signal is. DVI on the other had is not plague by this hindrance. The DVI cable is actually HDMI without the audio pass-through and merely transmits a series of 1's and 0's just as you computer operates. A '1' and a '0' will look the same on one end as the other regardless of fancy connectors. The only limitations would be with how much information can be transmitted (it's bandwidth). Many DVI ports also have VGA pass-through to allow you to use a simple adapter rather than having to purchase something to convert the signal. (note that even though digital signals don't necessarily depend on the quality of the cable, there are of-course poorly made cables and limitation that are overcome by some higher-end cables, which definitely come into play at longer distances and higher bandwidths)

You can also think of the two like the difference between older Analog 'over the air' stations vs modern Digital ones. The analog programming would make it to your TV via electromagnetic radiation (microwaves), and the quality was dependent on your ability to get the strongest, clearest signal possible. If you lived far off, even if you lived on the edge of the signal you would get a "snowy" or "static-filled" image, but a picture none the less. It worked for its time but had major quality/feature limitations. New digital broadcasts, like (DVI/HDMI/DP) are transmitted as 1's and 0's, and even if you lived on the edge of its signal you would get a crisp clear image. The problem however lies within its benefit. If not enough information is received you will get no picture at all, there is no middle ground (like the 'snow/static' of analog transmissions) It's like trying to solve a puzzle with only half of the pieces.

Generally speaking you will Not see Any difference in quality between connecting your monitor via DVI/HDMI/DP to your computer. You will however have a very noticeable difference between your existing VGA connection and the either of the digital connections.

The issue with Nvidia on the other had had to do with being unable to fully support a color space while using certain resolutions at a specific frequency. It was more of a Nvidia/Windows issue more than anything. I highly doubt that it's the issue you are haveing. The main reason I didn't post any links was because I have not kept up on this issue and have no idea whether the tool is needed anymore. Also I'm sure Dell may have restrictions on doing so. You can find the information by searching "Nvidia 0-255" Of course any software downloaded or installed is at your sole discretion and no-one else is responsible nor liable for any issues that may occur.

If you already knew everything I just rambled on about, please disregard it. It's 1:30am here at this time, and I am barely keeping my eyes open. I wouldn't have been able to respond till late in the afternoon so I did so now before going to sleep. (Hopefully there aren't a ton of typos, not going to proof-read ^_^)

Good Luck, I hope using a better quality signal with higher color output will solve your issue, these things can be a pain in the 'rear' and I would rather troubleshoot a bad overclock than mess with my color settings lol. Let me know what works out for you in the end, so maybe in the future I can recommend it to someone else. Good Night/Day ;)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 09:00

TFT Central has good data on calibration: www.tftcentral.co.uk/.../dell_u2312hm.htm

11 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 10:00

Hello Chris,

i am aware of the profiles. There are two profiles listed for my monitor. I tried both but none of them seem to make any difference in the blacks.

If i have some time on monday i will get myself the HDMI to DVI cable and give it a try as  andrewharley89 suggested.

If i can find a second machine to give the monitor a try, that would be even better.

No Events found!