Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

July 10th, 2020 14:00

U2312HM, Windows 10 not compatible?

Hey all, so I recently purchased a Dell U2312HM and saw it working on a Windows 7 computer. After taking it home, however, and connecting it to my computer, the monitor won't register that my computer is sending any signals and automatically goes into sleep mode. I've tested it on 2 different computers that are both running Windows 10 (both with different graphics cards) and nothing. I've also connected a dvi to hdmi which didn't work and I also tried using a vga. I guess I could try using a straight dvi cable, but I don't think that will really change anything. I've done some research and it seems like many people had this same issue, but it didn't really seem as if they were solved. I also cannot revert my computer to Windows 7 or 8. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 10th, 2020 23:00

@frankj389  I really don't think the OS is the issue here.  It would be highly unusual for an OS to have a compatibility problem with a specific display, especially for a newer OS to have a problem with a display model that's been around for a while and is pretty ordinary.  It's not like you're trying to run something like an 8K resolution display.  But there's an easy way to rule out the OS.  See if you can get the display to show something during the initial system boot, or by pressing F2 during boot to enter the BIOS Setup.  If you can't see anything even at that point, then Windows 10 isn't your issue because Windows isn't even running at that point.  Or you could try connecting the display to a completely different type of device that offers an HDMI output, such as a cable box or streaming media type of device.

HDMI to DVI almost always works, but for reasons that aren't entirely clear, there are some exceptions.  The Dell XPS 15 9570 for example has an HDMI output that doesn't work with DVI displays.  I wouldn't have guessed that incompatibility would even be possible since my understanding had been that up to 1920x1200 resolution, HDMI and DVI signals were identical even at an electrical level, but there are tons of reports from XPS 15 9570 owners confirming this issue with multiple cables/adapters and displays, and nobody reporting success.

Sorry if this sounds like a trite question, but I'm asking because it was the answer for someone else I helped here once: Are you sure you've got the display set to the correct input?  Not all displays automatically search across their inputs for the one that has an active signal, so if you've got it set to DisplayPort, for example, then connecting via DVI or VGA won't do anything.  And speaking of DisplayPort, although you should be able to get the display working via DVI or VGA, do either of your systems have DisplayPort, Mini-DisplayPort, or video-capable USB-C ports you could test with?

No Events found!