Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2017 07:00

U2312HM problem when connected as second monitor

When I connect  monitor the laptop this problem appears, mouse leaves trace as it moves also picture gets scrambled on this places 
(print-screen is from both monitors)

IMG

Monitor is  Dell U2312HM
Connection is computer HDMI to monitor DVI-D cable
(same problem happens with VGA cable: computer (HDMI to VGA adapter) to monitor VGA cable )

Laptop model:
 Lenovo Ideapad 110-15IBR (80T700ETGE)

Pentium N3710 intel hd graphics 405

(same problem is on Ubuntu 17.10)

Selecting different options in Display settings, as resolution or mirror monitor, does not help.
Is there solution for this problem?
(p.s. if there is other better way to connect second monitor that will help too.)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 1st, 2017 13:00

Is HDMI out the only video out port on that laptop? Did you test the U2312HM on a different computer to see if the issue followed the monitor?

Take the computer, operating system, software, and cabling out of the troubleshooting equation.

Run the standalone monitor BID (Built-in Diagnostics) page 37
- If you see the issue in the BID colored screens, then the monitor itself is faulty.
- If you do not see the issue on the BID colored screens, then the monitor itself is fine. The fault must be the computer, operating system, video card, video card driver, or cabling.

November 1st, 2017 14:00

HDMI is the only video output on the laptop.

This  monitor works well as single monitor on my Mac Mini(had it for years).

Did tested another 22'' monitor on the same laptop with the same cables - works well.

Did tested on Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10, same problem.

Can U2312HM be incompatible with the video card/driver?

I'm looking for another way to connect them, can external USB video card solve this?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 06:00

Are you saying that both monitors had issues on the Lenovo Ideapad running Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10?

Are you saying that both monitors ran well on the Mac Mini?

The Dell U2312HM does not have Ubuntu driver (inf/icm/cat). So the Ubuntu operating system is installing a generic driver. That could be the issue. You might ask the users on this board if they ever found a specific driver.

An external USB video card would only work IF it had specific Ubuntu operating system drivers. I have never seen one.

November 2nd, 2017 07:00

"Are you saying that both monitors had issues on the Lenovo Ideapad running Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10?"
- no, just connecting Dell U2312HM as second monitor made the problem(as shown on the img), other monitor(some 22'' Acer) worked well when connected as second monitor.

"Are you saying that both monitors ran well on the Mac Mini?"
- Dell U2312HM is working well on the Mac Mini

Thanks for the board suggestion, I#ll ask there too.

DisplayLink external USB video card claims that has Ubuntu drivers: askubuntu.com/.../744863

No Events found!