gsale
1 Copper

U2410 10 bit color depth

I want to set the color depth of my U2410 to get the full color depth available.  I am connected to my Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H through its HDMI 1.3 output and am using Windows 7.  The maximum color setting seems to be the True Color setting (32 Bit) which is really 8 bit, depending on the nomenclature you are using.  I am not concerned about video and am processing still photography primarily.  I had intended to get a video card with DP output, but the HDMI interface should produce my desired result.  Any assistance is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: U2410 10 bit color depth

It's all dependent on the capability of the video card. The monitor can support 10bit colour via A-FRC dithering. If you get a graphics card capable of 10bit colour output and use the DisplayPort input on the U2410, the U2410 is capable of supporting and rendering (via dithering) 10bit colour values.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
gsale
1 Copper

Thanks for the response.  I'll need to read a little on dithering, but wouldn't this be available using HDMI 1.3 as well?  Since it is an interpolated (dithered) presentation, would windows 7 ever show a color support seting above the 32 (8) bit level in the color settings?

0 Kudos

I don't think so since HDMI is a video mode and not a graphics mode.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
Vittorinox
6 Indium

Sorry Chris, but I don't understand your last response....

The ver. 1.3 of HDMI supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths but noone said that this is only for video mode.

Are you sure that U2410 can support 10bits only via Dispaly Port and not via HDMI too?

Obviously, only if the HDMI version of the U2410 is 1.3 and not previously....

Paolo

0 Kudos