Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 30th, 2009 05:00

U2410 Banding issue

I'm trying to calibrate my U2410 in sRGB, aRGB and Standard mode but it seems there is no way to avoid a noticeable banding effect in greyscale gradients. My calibration settings: 6500K, 2.2 gamma, 120/130 cd/m^2 are absolutely standard for graphic working. I tried to change the calibration software, but the result was always the same... even the smallest change in gamma curves produces a series of clearly noticeable stripes in the Lagom gradient test.

This is my situation:

• With the banding and dithering issues the sRGB and the aRGB presets are de facto useless.
  • Standard preset comes with a native gamma of 1.8 so calibration produces an heavy change in gamma curves and a more noticeable banding effect.
  • Factory calibration is meaningless in my case since DeltaE >> 5 for aRGB mode and Standard Mode (I know.. this preset is not factory calibrated but color deviations are embarassing).
  • The other well known issue, i.e. Green-Pink Tint issue, is de facto absent so my monitor is lucky from this point of view.

Is banding a "normal" thing or an issue of my monitor? What can I do at this point?

Thanks.

P.S. I tried to reset monitor settings and video LUT so many times...  

9 Posts

October 30th, 2009 12:00

Chris, it's possible that a hypothetical new firmware can update the monitor without get an exchange?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

No. We do not flash monitors in the field.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Until we get the new firmware for sRGB and Adobe Modes validated, nothing in the repair hubs is fixed. Do not get an exchange until I notify this forum.

25 Posts

October 30th, 2009 16:00

And what about banding? Is it a general firmware issue or a problem limited to my monitor?

18 Posts

October 31st, 2009 12:00

Chris, about how long will we have to wait for monitors with new firmware? Another question: Lets assume I have a garphics card with a 10bit Display port output, will the U2410 accept a 10bit signal via display port (like 2 of the newer Eizos)? I´m asking, because the U2410 can output 10bit color (as far as I found out 8bit +dithering).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 1st, 2009 11:00

I was not given an ETA. Checking on the other question.

25 Posts

November 1st, 2009 12:00

And what about banding? Is it a general firmware issue or a problem limited to my monitor?

18 Posts

November 1st, 2009 23:00

What does "ETA" mean? Could you find out anything about the 10bit  input?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 07:00

I have not seen any reports of banding on this model. Get it replaced.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 07:00

ETA. Still too early for them to even read the email I sent.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2009 18:00

I have horrible banding as well.  I've tried everything to change it, but no luck.  Even looking at this forum page right now looks really bad.

Is replacement still the current recommendation?  It's been 2 weeks since your comment..  not sure if anything has changed.

I have no other issues at all with this monitor..  I'm fearful of a replacement.

REV A00 mfg Oct 2009

62 Posts

November 18th, 2009 01:00

HI James, check if your desktop is set to 32bit, try to switch to other color modes, calibrate your monitor...whatever you do, if you have an evenly tinted monitor DO NOT swap it because there is a very high chance you may get one with green/pink issue.

2 Posts

November 18th, 2009 10:00

I did check, and I'm at 32bit.  I tried all of the other color modes too...  I'm running windows 7 on a Dell M6400 mobile workstation using the DisplayPort to the U2410.  I've tried using default windows profile as well as the Dell profile..  nothing improves banding..

BUT... BUT...  I tried something totally different...  I have an old Dell Dimension with XP.. I hooked that up to the U2410 via analog VGA port....  went back to lagom.nl...  and there was NO banding at all..  it looked perfect...  it's probably something due to digital input vs. analog..  I'm not sure.

SO..  I'm going to hold on to this monitor for a while..  and experiment some more.  need to work with DVI for a while now.. need to get my dock.  After reading all 60 pages about this monitor on hardforums, I consider myself lucky with NO tinting issues.  I DO have the sRGB/aRGB dithering problem though.

It's just sad my 24" BenQ which was 1/3 the cost (cheap TN panel) has NO issues...  granted the image quality isn't the same, but for this money I would expect the U2410 to at least not have any issues let alone MULTIPLE issues!

25 Posts

November 19th, 2009 02:00

I confirm.. no banding issue with VGA connection (even with heavy modifications in the gamma curves).
With the DVI port on my Radeon 9600 there is no way to calibrate the monitor without a noticeable banding effect. 

Look here: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302413.aspx?PageIndex=1

No Events found!