Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2010 00:00

U2410 - Flickering - PSM - Pixel Noise

Hello,

I have a U2410 hooked up to a Mac Pro 2009 with an ATI Radeon HD 4870. The monitor is nearly one year old now. When I just bought it I noticed a few times that the screen would simply become all scrambled (noise) just like a TV set would without any signal (e.g: http://3critical.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/whitespace.jpg). It only did it 3 or 4 times and only lasted a second or so, so I really didn't pay much attention thinking that the problem was a loose cable. Since then it never happened again. 

The issue started appearing again a few days ago but this time something else is happening. The screen starts flickering randomly and usually it happens after some time the monitor has been in use. Prior to the flickering I can notice on black backgrounds some red pixels flashing randomly all over the screen and then boom suddenly the screen goes to PSM then immediately wakes up then back to PSM. Sometimes this flashing/flickering/PSM can run in a loop which simply cuts me out from seeing anything on the screen. I tried turning the monitor off then back on but that didn't work. Once I even had to disconnect all cables and put them back in but nothing worked so I had to hard reboot the computer. During the reboot process (where you see the Apple on a grey background) the flickering started happening again. Some times this flickering issue goes away without any reason whatsoever and it doesn't come back till the next day.

This has been happening rather regularly for the last 3 days at some point of the day. I am unable to reproduce this problem and I am not quite sure if it is a hardware of software issue. I have tried several things such as turning everything off, un-pluging the monitor, running the built-in diagnostic, resetting to factory the monitor but it doesn't seem to help. I will try to record this issue with my camera if it happens again but I can hardly tell when since it's so random.

Any advise would be appreciated. If it can be solved in-house I would prefer it since the screen has no dead pixel and I don't want to risk any flawed refurbished monitor.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 15th, 2010 13:00

Is there another PC to test for the issue? Is there another monitor to test on the mac?

18 Posts

August 16th, 2010 01:00

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your answer. I will try to do some testing with some other monitor / PC. Will get back to you when and if the issue occurs again under the new settings.

Thanks again. 

18 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 01:00

Hello Chris,

I haven't been able to make some further testing yet with another PC or monitor however the issue happened again today and I was lucky enough to record what happened thank to an app called ScreenFlow. You will see that there are 2 recordings,. The main one through the OS and the one on the right being the parallel recording with a webcam. 

http://www.paullefevre.com/dell_u2410/U2410_Recording.divx

Any initial comment ?

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 06:00

I've been able to make some further testing with 2 other PCs. One is a laptop and I connected it to the u2410 with a VGA cable. There was no problem at all. Then I tried with a desktop (windows 7) and I connected it to the u2410 with a DVI cable. Again there was no problem whatsoever. As soon as I plugged back the u2410 to the Mac Pro the issue started happening again! I'm therefore inclined to believe that the problem comes from the MAC. I don't beleive it's a graphic card hardware issue but rather related to the operating system OS 10.6.4. Recently there was a Graphic Update from Apple but it didn't fix anything. I'm a bit lost here!!

18 Posts

August 24th, 2010 08:00

I tested the u2410 with another MAC and guess what ? The problem just came back. Although from this last test it seems the problem comes from the compatibility of the monitor with MAC OS I'm actually puzzeled by the fact it didn't happen for over 11 month and now it only happenes when the monitor has functionned for a while. IF I turn it off for some time the problem is gone. I've really enjoyed this monitor but I'm really starting to get annoyed with this issue. Today I lost over an hour of work with this!! Any advise would be appreciated.

18 Posts

August 28th, 2010 23:00

No one ?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 30th, 2010 08:00

Your going to have to check on mac forums. We do not test on macs so we cannot provide any data.

18 Posts

August 30th, 2010 21:00

Thank you Chris. However this is a sad comment. It should be clearly stated on the monitor's specs that it is not tested with MAC instead of then telling customers when they have issues that it was indeed not tested with a MAC...:emotion-18: Or the simplest thing to do is to simply test the monitors with the MAC in the future... :emotion-5:. Hope that it is in Dell's upcoming efforts since although MACs users are not as widespread as PCs' I do beleive they represent a certain portion of Dell Customers and ignoring MAC users is no good.

Thanks again for the help. If anyone has similar issues, please drop a line.

November 26th, 2010 00:00

I've been able to make some further testing with 2 other PCs. One is a laptop and I connected it to the u2410 with a VGA cable. There was no problem at all. Then I tried with a desktop (windows 7) and I connected it to the u2410 with a DVI cable. Again there was no problem whatsoever. As soon as I plugged back the u2410 to the Mac Pro the issue started happening again! I'm therefore inclined to believe that the problem comes from the MAC. I don't beleive it's a graphic card hardware issue but rather related to the operating system OS 10.6.4. Recently there was a Graphic Update from Apple but it didn't fix anything. I'm a bit lost here!!

It's quite useful, Many thanks to your description! I got more deep understanding about this part.

1 Message

March 12th, 2011 15:00

I have the same issue on a U2410 with the early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Although my U2410 does not go into PSM, it just blacks out when connected via DVI... I have two U2410's, one shows picture sometimes, the other has never shown a picture. Both are Rev A05 U2410's bought Jan of 2011.

Tested via DisplayPort and works perfect (so far).

Tested this with a older Dell 24" (1920x1200@60Hz) no issues via DVI
Tested with other monitors with various resolutionss, no issues with DVI.

This is a Dell U2410 problem... Called Dell says call Apple... Call Apple, Apple says call Dell.

No Events found!