Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

2 Posts

January 10th, 2010 20:00

- Godfrey - Agree - I was just referring to the color issues - I have yet to find an IPS monitor at this price that is perfect -

2 Posts

January 10th, 2010 20:00

Chris,

I just finished reading this entire thread and decided to buy the U2410. I just placed my order.  You should know that part of the reason was your candor in the responses.  The other part of the reason is that I read other users who calibrate their monitors (with a legit HW calib tool), seemed to really value the monitor.   

BTW, did the individuals who complained about tints/casts, calibrate their monitors with a hardware calibration or did they just use default settings or did they just wing it by eyeball?   (I currently use the Lacie Blue Eye Pro to calibrate my monitors)  

Also, regard to someone's ICC profile "fix" - as I'm sure you know, no ICC profile is 100% perfect for every monitor - they may be close, even very close - but there are too many factors to assume it is universal.

Also, someone mentioned Dell ICC issues while using Photoshop - That *may* be more of a Photoshop issue and how the calibration is done - via a look up table or via a matrix - Google (verb) the words ' Photoshop, LUT, matrix '.

- Again, Kudos to you for your candor - you've made me a Dell customer.  

5 Posts

January 10th, 2010 21:00

I've got a bit of a theory regarding the green/pink gradation problem;

I was playing around with one of my other monitors' (HP LP2275w) OSD, and noticed that if i adjusted the 'clock' value so that it was out of whack, my display would go from green at one side to pink on the other.  That effect disappeared once i corrected the value.

The U2410 has a 'pixel clock' function in it's OSD, but it's disabled (greyed out), presumably because I was using a dvi-d (digital) connection, whereas i'm using an analogue connection on the HP.

Just an observation and don't know if it's related but seemed like quite a coincidence.

ps.

re. b shaw's post, I'm sure if we were to base our Dell satisfaction levels on our communication with Chris we'd all be happy Dell customers, but i think a lot of the anger is generated based on Dell's appalling phone/email 'support' and general handling of the issues.  

43 Posts

January 10th, 2010 22:00

Calibrated mine using a Spyder and it is ultimately a mess.

Did you really expect Dell customer's service to treat you badly? Of course they treat you well. In public that is. Might be a different story when you submit private products reviews and such. The problem is in the product you are purchasing, not the customer's support. You're not investing 600$ in customer's support, are you?

Hope you post about your real experience when you receive the actual product.

January 12th, 2010 11:00

High end/professional ($1000+) IPS panels have this issue as well.  The difference is that the high end monitors can adjust color in different areas of the screen to handle problems at the edges.  And the really high end reference ($2000+) monitors use lots of different, expensive technologies to get accurate colors.  I'm satisfied with my calibration of the monitor and the only thing I'd like to see is a second HDMI port.

23 Posts

January 13th, 2010 10:00

I would not agree at all, IPS monitors on T60 Thinkpads are IPS and neither one has tint issues.

Expensive technologies for accurate colors? U2410 has very accurate colors, less then 500$ and avg De2000 0,38 for example.

But tint you find ok?

Do you think that is fine that some users have monitor without pink and others not?

Let's remind:

"Consistent, Accurate Colour Out of the Box: Factory-tuned Adobe RGB and sRGB modes minimize the need for further colour calibration; each monitor arrives with a certified colour-calibration factory report."

I don't have white on my screen other then center 2''.

Cheers,

Marin

62 Posts

January 15th, 2010 10:00

You are right, Marin, the way DELL is underestimating this issue is appalling, only on this forum we have more than 50.000 views in total on both this and the A01 topic, many more thousand on HardOCP abut the tinting issues and dithering problems and thousands more on chinese/italian/czech forums.

Still DELL is implying that the % of people complaining about the issue is very low. Not all the people that view a topic will post about it, especially if there is no solution for it or no obvious workaround.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 15th, 2010 14:00

panzaman, hrvoje_marin,

We can accept the fact that you do not agree with our stance that, based on our testing, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure. We gave you an out, return it for refund. So far, very few have been returned. This shows us that most users do not consider this an issue worthy of returning the monitor. If it was, wouldn't we be seeing thousands of returns even though they never posted about the issue?

4 Posts

January 15th, 2010 15:00

Still with 50000 views even if 1 percent or 500 don't buy a monitor because of this thread alone and tell other people not to bother with it that is a lot of potential sales going down the plug hole.  When I brought my first Dell system I said that will be the last but 10 years later I made the mistake of buying this monitor on the so called sales blurb which I am sure in a few countries including Australia could be construed as misleading advertising

14 Posts

January 16th, 2010 01:00

Hmmm... maybe those who had problem is still waiting for the new revision~ maybe....

23 Posts

January 16th, 2010 02:00

panzaman, hrvoje_marin,

We can accept the fact that you do not agree with our stance that, based on our testing, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure.

Are you advertising U2410 like

"The new U2410 also, sometimes, incorporates green/pink tint, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure.

I did not read that  anywhere.

I though really that Dell want repeat HP errors with HP2475W, although HP handled it much better.

Funny enough, neither tftcentral nor prad mention tint, and this can not be an error.

We gave you an out, return it for refund. So far, very few have been returned. This shows us that most users do not consider this an issue worthy of returning the monitor. If it was, wouldn't we be seeing thousands of returns even though they never posted about the issue?

Yes, exchange and return, I did complain to my seller about green tint, and 1. answer was:

"We have another one, it is exactly the same like yours, so both are correct."

Now, for A00 to A01 exchange, i am waiting 3 working days for decision/answer?

These are high standards, Ultrasharp 24'' that is 2x over 2209WA and service like is to be expected?

IHMO, there is a denial here, a that ussualy is a sign of bad problem handling, not neccessarly huge one :emotion-9:.

Cheers,

Marin

23 Posts

January 16th, 2010 12:00

hrvoje_marin,
Are you advertising U2410 like -
"The new U2410 also, sometimes, incorporates green/pink tint, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure.". I did not read that  anywhere.

* I am in Technical Support, not in Sales/Marketing. But I think that would negatively influence buyers.

Great, so it better not to tell the truth?

* Anytime you buy from a reseller rather than directly from us you run risks. If you had purchased from us directly, the return or exchange would not be an issue.

It is an issue because of the Dell, Combis is waiting for an answer from

DELL EMERGING MARKETS (EMEA) LIMITED
Rapska 46B/4
10000 Zagreb

Dell has no store here, and I bought the U2410 from regular reseler, mind you, on the delivery note there is together with Combis, Dell UK. So.

Cheers,

Marin

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 16th, 2010 12:00

hrvoje_marin,
Are you advertising U2410 like -
"The new U2410 also, sometimes, incorporates green/pink tint, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure.". I did not read that  anywhere.
* I am in Technical Support, not in Sales/Marketing. But I think that would negatively influence buyers.
* Anytime you buy from a reseller rather than directly from us you run risks. If you had purchased from us directly, the return or exchange would not be an issue.

hydrotoast,
so called sales blurb which I am sure in a few countries including Australia could be construed as misleading advertising
* I am in the Americas. I cannot speak for Dell Australia policies or marketing.

43 Posts

January 17th, 2010 23:00

Also worth mentioning that in some countries, Dell charges administration fees for returns.

In Canada : 15% administration fees + shipping fees. For a 700$ CAD monitor, that's about 150$+. That left a sour taste on my side.

62 Posts

January 17th, 2010 23:00

panzaman, hrvoje_marin,

We can accept the fact that you do not agree with our stance that, based on our testing, this is a normal panel characteristic that falls within our manufacturer specifications and not a hardware failure. We gave you an out, return it for refund. So far, very few have been returned. This shows us that most users do not consider this an issue worthy of returning the monitor. If it was, wouldn't we be seeing thousands of returns even though they never posted about the issue?

Chris, very few have been returned because DELL considers this a "feature" or "panel characteristic" so don't allow returns based on it, the dithering in sRGB and Adobe RGB has only been promptly corrected because few "big" review sites reported about it thus giving the monitor a negative point in the reviews otherwise I think DELL would have skimped on the dithering as well as it is doing with the Green-to-pink issue. The dithering is almost unnoticeable to the majority of users, as the grey levels affected by dithering mix with the un-dithered levels therefore only showing in some peculiar situations and can be avoided all together by sticking to the Standard/Custom color presets, instead the Green-to-pink is always in your face whatever the color preset you decide to use.

A software fix could have been implemented, by letting the user change the RGB values for different zones of the screen, if DELL doesn't want to do multipoint calibration on the production line at least give the users a chance to do it themselves.

Ok, you don't want to implement a software fix but at least handle it like HP does with the LP2475, don't make such a fuss about it and let the user exchange the affected monitors without any problems.

No Events found!