Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2009 12:00

U2410 Green/Pink Tint Issues

Just wondering could i get a replacement monitor for my current U2410 which has very serious left green and right pink tint issues? Even on this dell community forum, where both sides i can see very obvious difference, would any firmware solve this issue or it's something more serious?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 4th, 2009 20:00

Please post a picture of this issue. Have you reset the U2410 to Factory Settings (OSD- Other Settings- Factory Reset)? Do you see the tint issues when testing both DVIs and the VGA port? 

14 Posts

October 4th, 2009 22:00

Yeah i've tried with Displayport, VGA and both DVIs. Yep i've set to factory settings too. You can look at the both sides grey part.

14 Posts

October 5th, 2009 02:00

Same problem here.

Have seen it on two units, and quite a widespread problem.

Also noted in these threads as well.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1441159

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18049798

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2009 06:00

Based on the number of units sold versus number of units returned for tint reasons, it is not a widespread problem. So one is in Singapore and the other is in the UK. What are the PPID numbers?

14 Posts

October 5th, 2009 08:00

Hi Chris,

The PPID is CN-0J257M-72872-97L-001L

So i should i call my local Dell number for a replacement? Could i request for a brand new sealed replacement rather than a monitor that someone also has returned?

Thanks

4 Posts

October 5th, 2009 12:00

Joining to add to this.

I've had two U2410s. Both have been affected by the tint problem. One orignially purchased, and then a brand new replacement. To be fair Dell have been very good about getting replacements out, and I've got a second replacement enroute right now... but I have every expectation it will have the same problem.

56 Posts

October 5th, 2009 13:00

Hi,

I have had FOUR (count them) U2410's from Dell now.

1. The initial screen had a dead red pixel. It had no tint issue, but I was unhappy about a dead pixel smack bang in the middle of my screen.
2. The Dell replacement had massive uniformity issues related to green and pink tint. I can't stress enough how bad the screen was. (Photo below)

At this stage, being somewhat concerned about the quality of Dells replacements, I opted to return the original screen for a refund and try again with a completely new order.

3. Screen three has milder tint issues, but they're still visible as mostly pinkish tint (with some green) at the bottom left, and a largely blue-ish tint in the top right. This blue tint makes the top right slightly darker in appearance than the bottom right. (Photo below)

4. Dells FOURTH U2410 arrived today, and this one is free of tint issue! Horray.. Except it has a dead green lit pixel on the bottom left of the screen. Wonderful.

You want photo's of what it looks like? I'm happy to oblige. Note that due to the nature of the tint, and the difficulty of photographing it clearly on white backgrounds, I took an image of the U2410 (viewing a maximized notepad document) and then boosted the saturation to +88 in Photoshop to emphasize the colour difference.  NO other aspect of the image was altered. Part of this also boosts the natural tint present in the colour temperature of the camera/screen and imparts this on the image. However it clearly shows the type of issue people are experiencing on a white background.

Screen number 2 (Green tint bottom left, pink tint top right)
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/U2410_SuffersPinkTintFlaw.jpg

Screen Number 3 (green tint bottom left, blue tint top right)
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/3rd_DellU2410_GreenTint.jpg

Now, just for reference purposes, Screen 1, which is free of noticeable tint uniformity issues (but did have a dead red pixel in the middle) altered using the exact same process as the screens above.
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/U2410WithoutPinkTintProblem.jpg

Now tell me there isn't large uniformity difference with these previous screens. Keep in mind, the colour difference on white backgrounds is entirely visible to the naked eye, and these images simply reinforce what I'm seeing in person whilst looking at the screens.

So I have a question. Is it too much to ask of Dell that I don't get a new U2410 that doesn't have tint issues, or dead, or lit pixels? Because I've given Dell not one, not two, not three, but FOUR chances, and so far the answer is yes - this is too much to ask of Dell and their U2410.

The icing on the cake is, if I want to fix the clear black level/dither issues Adobe/SRGB mode has, I must inflict this stressful panel lottery process on myself again. I was reporting the sRGB/Adobe mode issue several weeks ago btw, but I should have probably have posted about that here too..

So, can anyone from Dell help me here? Or do you recommend I give up trying to get a screen without dead pixels or tint issues?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 5th, 2009 14:00

I am sending your posts to engineering. Hold off on getting anymore exchanges until I speak with them.

56 Posts

October 5th, 2009 16:00

Because I currently have 2 U2410 screens here, one with tint uniformity issues, one replacement without (but with a lit green pixel), I've photographed them side by side.
Can you guess which is which? ;)

Note that I've again boosted Saturation by +88 in Photoshop to boost colours and make the issue more visible. I can, of course, make the unboosted image available if required.

Of special note is the fact that both screens are using identical 50/50 brightness/contrast settings Under standard mode. I've also allowed some of the bezel into the picture just so you can see the level of noise introduced by the boosting process. I also tried to take the picture as close to the middle of the screens as possible so as not to introduce further distortion due to IPS viewing angles etc.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/DellU2410InputLag/U2410NoTint4LeftTint3right6314.jpg

Oh, and in case you didn't guess the new screen without the tint uniformity issues is on the left, the one with tint uniformity issues (redish bottom left, blue top right) is on the right. I also should've noted that my earlier example 1 screen did have a very mild blue tint down the right, but that was partly due to the angle the screen was at I think, and it didn't really present a problem in person. Either way it's long gone now, but I was very happy with its uniformity..

14 Posts

October 7th, 2009 00:00

Just received a replacement U2410, The pink tint is somewhat gone but on the whole of the left edge, there's one brown/yellowish tinting, it seems like burn out marks. Sigh, i thought i can keep this unit. SRGB/Adobe RGB problem is still around.

56 Posts

October 7th, 2009 07:00

Screen number 5 arrived from Dell today, and screen number 5 is... FREE OF TINT ISSUES!!
So that's 3 out of 5 screens I've had that have been free of tint.

Unfortunately, like the other two screens free of tint, it has a dead pixel. But it's only part way dead (appears grey on white backgrounds, and can only really be noticed on white and green backgrounds) and is located 2 inches from bottom and an inch from the right - where your eyes are almost never going to get distracted by it during normal usage. If this had been in the middle it'd have been a different matter, but it's not, and so I now have a screen I feel I can live with for the next few years, fingers crossed  Not quite perfect, but it seems as close as I'll get!

It's not as good as screen 4 for uniformity (there's a barely perceptible pink bottom left, green top right), but I'm only noticing this because I know the tint issue so well now. It can be considered tint free as the perception doesn't change much regardless of the brightness setting, and can be largely solved with a tiny tweak to the gain settings (Red 99, green 98) under custom mode, and that's most definitely not true if a screen really has noticeable tint. No settings remove it, it can just be minimized to a degree.

Screen 3 proves that it's not just a pink/green tint issue that's out there, as it was pink/blue. However human eyes tend to be a lot more sensitive to green, and so I think many simply won't notice a pink/blue tint to the same extent they would a green tint. That's likely why I also perceived it as milder than the previous pink/green tint monitor problem myself. Either way, I know some screens are bad enough that they really shouldn't have made it past Dell quality control in my opinion..

Best of luck to those of you still waiting for a screen to fix your issue :)

October 12th, 2009 06:00

I am just returning my second one.   I think photographers have a problem with this screen.    When I returned my first one to the reseller they were unable to see the problem .  My wife cannot see anything much wrong either.  On the other hand the photographer and web designer who lives opposite spotted it instantly having been informed only that I thought there was a fault of some kind, but with no idea what I thought was wrong.

It seems pretty clear to me that some people just cannot see it and/or for others - gamers and the like it doesn't matter too much anyway.  I have just spent £80 on a Spyder 3 colorimeter and software (my old Spyder 2 cannot handle Wide Gamut) to make adjustments to the display that are less than I see from one side of this monitor to the other.  I have another piece of software and a special calibrated colour chart which cost £65 to enable me to match the prints (printer, ink and paper) to the image I see on the screen.  All this is a waste of time and money if the sides of the picture on the screen are not the same brightness and colour as the middle.

I am encouraged to believe that I may get a good one of these, in which case I think it will be excellent.  I just do not want to have to keep sending them back.  My reseller charges me for the return carriage each time and I have to wait in for the day for it to be delivered, and another day for it to be collected.

Maybe Dell could do a special version for photographers and designers.  They could charge more if it would save what I fear is going to be an endless round of buying and returning these until I get a good one.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2009 13:00

Is there any news with this issue? My unit with the same tint issue, like in the first photo by webbyboy, or even stronger. It's really disappointing me, i can't see correct colors on this screen (plus dithering problem) :emotion-6:

Here, in Russia, this display costs much more than in US, but have only one year limited warranty, without any premium panel warranty or something else. And it's really hard to exchange unit. It's looks like no problem, just "feature" :emotion-2: of this kind of display for our support service. So i have a question, maybe there will be some recommendations for local country support about this problem (and sRGB/aRGB too), to minimize difficulties with exchange?

PS. Oh, PPID number is CZ-0F525M-73608-983-0K9L, made in Czech, Aug 09

14 Posts

October 13th, 2009 09:00

ok recived 4th replacement today, tint is even worse that this one than the others.

1st unit green/pink tint across screen

2nd unit completely dead

3rd unit mild case of green/pink tint but 1 stuck pixel in middle of screen.

4th unit green/pink tint across screen.

Would it be better to just wait for another revision or try another swap?

Cheers

Nigel

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 13th, 2009 09:00

All,

I need your monitor PPID numbers. So far, none of these are in the Americas so I cannot capture them.

Singapore webbyboy
CN0J257M7287297L001L
CN0J257M7287296B0D8L
CN0J257M7287297201YL
CN0J257M7287296B0FLL

Russia nukemonk
CZ0F525M736089830K9L

UK nigel1210
CZ0F525M7360897S2AYL Serious Green/Pink Tint
CZ0F525M736089840E2L Unit Dead
CZ0F525M7360898K079L Stuck Red Pixel/ Mild Tint issue
CZ0F525M7360898009LL Serious Green/pink tint issue