Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2009 13:00

U2410 Quesion

Hi Chris,

I have two quick questions.

I just received my U2410 monitor today and I've been experimenting with it a bit (using the HDMI connection using NVidia 9500GT on Windows 7 x64, at 1900x1200 at 59Hz - don't ask me why Windows insists on 59Hz) and I have to admit that despite the factory calibrated modes, even the sRGB mode colors look very bad.

The gradations are off into completely different colors, for examples, the left/right margins of this community web site, despite being perfect grays, turn into pink & yellow at various gray levels (I can take a picture of my monitor if that would help to explain the problem). Is that to say that the factory calibration of R=G=B=190 is pink? I would expect the gray scale to remain intact, for example. Am I in need of purchasing new calibration equipment to solve that? (my old spyder2 apparently doesn't cut it anymore) Do you believe it would solve the problem I'm seeing? And if not, what are my options?

My second question is about the "vertical alignment" I'm seeing - I sit about 2 feet from the monitor and certain colors and shades exhibit obvious vertical patterns (is that the result of the dithering? Because I was under the impression that the dithering causes brightness fluctuations at certain shades) but I'm seeing a constant pattern of vertical lines, the sort you'd sometimes see on low-res monitors. This is apparent in all the modes I tried (also tried DVI/HDMI).

I find this very disturbing visually (especially for such a high grade monitor), it's as though there's some very large and obvious "gap" between the color triplets. Is that normal? Because all past monitors I've used before (up to 20" wide) have never exhibited that. Those vertical patterns were the first thing that pops to one's eye and it's very distracting.

Your reply is much appreciated and anticipated.

Thanks,

-TR

8 Posts

November 27th, 2009 13:00

Hi Chris,

One more thing - even profile aware applications are showing the colors all wrong when using the DELL provided profile (in standard or any other mode).

More so, graphics editing application would complain that the DELL provided profile appears to be defective.

If there are any additional details or information I can provide you, so you could help me solve those issues, I'll be more than happy to provide.

Thanks in advance,

- TR

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 27th, 2009 19:00

Please post pictures.

8 Posts

November 27th, 2009 20:00

Hi Chris,

In fact I have snapped a few and uploaded them to my web site.

You can see them here:  http://ushland.com/data/

See how the word "Password" looks like in DSC_2976_crop.jpg (view it in 100%). These were taken with a high end 12MP DSLR camera placed on a tripod, there's also a smooth grayscale (using the gradient tool) - you can see it's not smooth at all, but has rough brackets to it (and also color casts, pink and green - which is a little harder to see in the photo). 

I've upgraded the NVidia drivers to the latest, didn't help either.

I have spoken to a support representative too, and he seemed to believe that the monitor is defective.

What are your thoughts?

- TR

8 Posts

November 30th, 2009 13:00

Hi Chris,

Can you tell me what is your opinion of the pictures I have taken of the monitor?

I have posted them here: http://ushland.com/data/

Thanks,

Tzvi.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 30th, 2009 15:00

What revision monitor? Send me the following in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message) -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Operating system: Windows 7
Video card: Nvidia 9500 GT
Video card ports tested:
Reason:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 30th, 2009 19:00

From engineering - This looks odd. What was the file format used to display on the U2410? I am not sure what image format (eg tiff, jpg etc etc) that the image was stored read and displayed that had problem.

62 Posts

November 30th, 2009 23:00

Chris, tell engineering that that's the standard Windows 7 login screen, is not an image set by the user and as you can see from one of the pictures, the one in which is showing you the same image on different monitors, is not a problem either with the camera or file format.

TZVI.RO>> have you tried other video sources eg: blu ray player, xbox or PS3?

8 Posts

December 1st, 2009 04:00

You are correct, that's the standard "Windows 7" background when dual monitors are connected to the same video card (one using HDMI and the other DVI in that example) while extending the screen, you can see the old monitor showing smooth gradients while the U2410 showing just a few discrete colors. The other image shows a smooth grayscale image which is "not as smooth" when viewed on the U2410 but broken into like 16 gradients.

No. I have none of those sources, I have tried connecting a couple of laptops to it (having different video cards, trying to rule out video card issues) and the problems persisted.

Thanks,

- TR.

62 Posts

December 1st, 2009 06:00

I think at this point the only thing left to do is to reset the monitor to the factory settings, there is an option for General Reset in the OSD, then select the STANDARD color preset and see how it goes with that.

Is possible that your monitor has a problem but I have gone through several different monitors of different brands/type and I have never experienced something like that.

If resetting doesn't fix the problem, and you are unable to test with another HDMI/DVI source like a games console or dvd/bluray player then I think is time to call DELL and ask for a replacement.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 1st, 2009 12:00

Already setup. We are also capturing his monitor.

8 Posts

December 1st, 2009 20:00

Thank you Chris, you've been most helpful and I appreciate it.

Regarding shipping the monitor, how am I supposed to get from you the return label? I didn't get any by email, should I get it by regular mail?

I have taken additional pictures of the issues if you're interested, I set it up for dual head with cloning against my old LG (4:3 which is why the images look a little "flat" on the DELL monitor, it is also brighter, both running off the same video, one with DVI and the other with HDMI connector) you can see the vertical lines and the posterization/quantization I'm experiencing (evident in all modes). Open the images up at 100% to see better.

http://www.ushland.com/data/

Thanks,

- TR

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 06:00

It was sent yesterday at 2:17pm to your gmail account. I also just re-sent it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 14th, 2009 14:00

tzvi.ro,

We cannot replicate your issue. Engineering would like you to post very specific steps on you tested the monitor to produce the failure.

8 Posts

December 14th, 2009 17:00

Hi Chris,

I did not perform anything in particular, I just plugged it in. Sometimes, when I started it "cold" it'll look normal for a minute or two, but after it warmed up it would turn all funky again (I have multiple pictures showing that on the link above) so perhaps you gotta let it warm up a bit.

Mind you, the replacement monitor works perfectly (so far, crossing my fingers) so it clearly was some hardware issue there.

Maybe it's related to the fact I'm living in north Illinois (the weather in Chicago this time of year is pretty chilly and we keep the house heated). So if your lab is air conditioned and cooled, perhaps it's temperature related and won't exhibit the same results (we keep the house at ~70 degrees). Just a thought.

Thanks,

Tzvi.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 14th, 2009 19:00

All,

The Hz setting must be at 60. 59Hz forces the monitor into a non-optimal timing. If yours is reporting at 59 or lower, go to the display settings and force the display to another resolution, then,  reselect the optimal resolution and make sure it sets to 60Hz. If still no go, remove the video card driver and reinstall it.

No Events found!