Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 17:00

U2410 Rev A01 eta?

Does anyone from dell have an ETA for the Ultrasharp U2410 rev a01?

It seems it would be wise to wait for the new rev. But i'm really interested in this screen :emotion-2:

13 Posts

January 18th, 2010 01:00

[quote user="panzaman"]

No, I have now updated 5 monitors since the update was released last night and I can confirm that the FW update does not fix the Green-to-Pink issue, all the other problems are fixed though, the banding in custom mode and the dithering in sRGB and AdobeRGB.

I'm not sure what you're seeing with regards to banding in Custom Mode, but A00 and A01 appear to behave exactly the same to me when setting the HUE controls above or below 48-52 with regards to banding. However the static dither in sRGB and Adobe mode are gone.

[/quote]

This seems to me that not every U2410 has the same strange hue behavior in custom mode that you and I have. So I think it's much more save for me to don't do the firmware update with losing the warranty and better call Dell for an exchange with the hope that I receive a monitor without this behavior. But with no luck I will get one with the same issue and even with a tint issue. Don't know what I should do.

56 Posts

January 18th, 2010 03:00

This seems to me that not every U2410 has the same strange hue behavior in custom mode that you and I have. So I think it's much more save for me to don't do the firmware update with losing the warranty and better call Dell for an exchange with the hope that I receive a monitor without this behavior. But with no luck I will get one with the same issue and even with a tint issue. Don't know what I should do.

It's my guess that all U2410's have this behavior with the Hue control in Custom Mode. Keep in mind that the Hue controls are very image specific, and it needs not only the correct image to show banding, but also the correct hue control(s) being adjusted that are sensitive to banding for that particular image, since sometimes you can set some values extremely low/high and not notice banding - not because it doesn't exist but because that particular image doesn't use much of that particular colour value in ways which will show up as banding.

What I recommend you do is post the image you notice banding on - not a screenshot of your monitor  - the actual image. Then say the specific Hue values you are adjusting, and what values you are setting the Hue Controls to. This will allow other people to reproduce what you see.

Like I said, I think this issue is more down to a limitation of the current LCD panel technology than a real specific issue with the U2410  You should be able to adjust for correct colours in custom mode without really touching the Hue controls very much anyway.. My R,B and M Hue controls are set to 51 - the rest are 50, and I'm very happy with what I see in terms of colours. It's perhaps possible that Dell could allow for a bit more nuanced fine tuning in the controls than 0 to 100, but I don't think it's going to change much in terms of avoiding the banding you see. As said, if you want a more fine tuned control, you're going to have to buy a hardware calibration device and fine tune a different mode like Standard Mode, or use the graphics card settings, although I agree it'd be nice if there were a way to use higher/lower Hue control values and not see any banding in images..

2 Posts

January 18th, 2010 04:00

Hi there folks.

i have 5  U2410's, thay all Rev A00, no special issues as far as my eye sight can tell from day 1. ( 3 months old )

i saw the new firmware post and thought, "hack, why not, its suppose to be an improvment"

so, downloaded the files,

red the guide, TWICE, ( just to make sure that im not gona be an idiot and miss some crucial point )

installed the software,

connected the usb wire

connected the power

did NOT connect the VGA, no need, used another monitor to view the results

flashed the 1st monitor.

oh joy oh joy, every thing passed with flying colors.

now, heres the kicker,

i have 4 more of them so ... need to flash them all, no ? yes.

tried to repeat the procedure and to my surprise, on each of the 4 i get, repeatedly,

at different precentage of the progress but useally right on the start  ->

writing MONITOR_FW to DDR RAM Fail!

cycling the AC power, rebooting, using different usb cables and different usb ports does not help, every time its a fail.

ah ? what the hack ?

any advice ?

thanks very much in advance.

13 Posts

January 18th, 2010 07:00

[quote user="Mahony70"]

It's my guess that all U2410's have this behavior with the Hue control in Custom Mode. Keep in mind that the Hue controls are very image specific, and it needs not only the correct image to show banding, but also the correct hue control(s) being adjusted that are sensitive to banding for that particular image, since sometimes you can set some values extremely low/high and not notice banding - not because it doesn't exist but because that particular image doesn't use much of that particular colour value in ways which will show up as banding.

What I recommend you do is post the image you notice banding on - not a screenshot of your monitor  - the actual image. Then say the specific Hue values you are adjusting, and what values you are setting the Hue Controls to. This will allow other people to reproduce what you see.

Like I said, I think this issue is more down to a limitation of the current LCD panel technology than a real specific issue with the U2410  You should be able to adjust for correct colours in custom mode without really touching the Hue controls very much anyway.. My R,B and M Hue controls are set to 51 - the rest are 50, and I'm very happy with what I see in terms of colours. It's perhaps possible that Dell could allow for a bit more nuanced fine tuning in the controls than 0 to 100, but I don't think it's going to change much in terms of avoiding the banding you see. As said, if you want a more fine tuned control, you're going to have to buy a hardware calibration device and fine tune a different mode like Standard Mode, or use the graphics card settings, although I agree it'd be nice if there were a way to use higher/lower Hue control values and not see any banding in images..

[/quote]

Ok folks,

to check if the Hue is still there or the same on every U2410 go to:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

- Right click on the gradient

- Choose Save as... and save it somewhere on your machine

- Open this file (NOT Opening in any browser, they don't behave equal), open in Preview(Mac) or Paint or Photoshop

- on U2410 go to Custom Mode choose the Hue Controls

- move the RED slider up or down, on my monitor moving higher than 52 or lower than 47 banding comes in and getting worse the higher or lower you go

- Reset RED, with Green banding is not that strong, only a few parts in the middle, starting at 60 and 46

- Reset Green, Blue and Cyan the banding is hardly noticeable, but I can see on my desktop and silverTask Bar 

-Reset, Magenta big areas of banding, got to see above 60 and under 47

-Reset, Yellow strong banding below 46 and above 60

Please check it with only this downloaded gradient so that the results are a little more comparable.

18 Posts

January 18th, 2010 07:00

almonymous,

Try different PC

56 Posts

January 18th, 2010 08:00

Ok folks,

to check if the Hue is still there or the same on every U2410 go to:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Now everyone should see what you're talking about at least :)

However I think this is largely down to the fact that, on an 8 bit panel, there's only 256 values of Red Green and Blue (256 x 256 x 256 = 16,777,216 colours).

When you adjust the Red value in the Hue controls towards 100 it is adding more Green. When you adjust it towards zero it is adding more Blue. However the image is still being generated from 256 possible values on the panel, and by adding or removing Hue you are essentially adding values to the existing ones, which can show as banding depending on the values. So it's really just a normal behaviour of LCD's afaik.

What is interesting is the patterns of banding the specific values generate. It'd be interesting to hear a more technical explanation, as well as how much a greater bit depth may or may not help things, but (like I said) I don't think this is a technical problem with the U2410, but rather a limitation of the technology. If anyone knows better please let us know.. :) But best to post about this in the specific thread you've made about the issue (assuming you've made one) since I can tell you there definitely is no change in Rev A01 screens with regard to this behaviour :)

2 Posts

almonymous,

The same thing happened with my second monitor. After many unsuccessful tries I moved to the different PC and everything went well on the 1st try. Good luck, Mark

Well, that did the trick. meny meny thanks mark.

although i dont understant this quirk, why one monitor whould upgrade on one pc and the other wont.

an enigma.

go figure ... maybe it has somthing to do with quantum physics and its quirks ...  :emotion-5:

just for people to know,

the first monitor was flashed being connected to  XP.32  pc and all went fine,

the other four ware flashed being connected to  Win7.64  pc.

thank again.

13 Posts

Yes, maybe you're right. But it seems that NEC and Eizo don't have this banding with the monitors where they also put in this 6-part hue controls.

And Dell is advertising that the U2410 works with 12bit internal. And when I use the signal from my Matrox Video Hardware I put out 10bit over HDMI. When I only put out 8bit I can see a difference on the U2410 showing a video Movie with a gradient for example. So that's why I thought the monitor can do more than 8bit.

January 18th, 2010 09:00

When I got my A01 replacement, the first two things I did were check the dithering and banding. I didn't have them side-by-side, but the banding was the last thing I looked at on the A00 and one of the first things I looked at on the A01. Yes, there's still some banding at the extremes for the reasons already described, but it seemed to be significantly improved. Whereas the banding was immediately visible at +/- 3 from neutral in A00, you need to go +/-20 or so before they become apparent in A01.

56 Posts

And Dell is advertising that the U2410 works with 12bit internal. And when I use the signal from my Matrox Video Hardware I put out 10bit over HDMI. When I only put out 8bit I can see a difference on the U2410 showing a video Movie with a gradient for example. So that's why I thought the monitor can do more than 8bit.

Ahh, well, it definitely cannot. The panel is an 8 bit IPS panel. I'm not sure where you saw 12 bit? The U2410 can render from a 10 bit palette (1024 x 1024 x 1024  = 1,073,741,824 ) but it outputs that to the screen using A-FRC dithering as the panel is still a native 8 bit IPS panel.

It is here that I believe you are correct - it may be possible to do a much better job of this dithering process than the current U2410 manages, and this would also be why some screens don't produce banding to the same degree, as you've mentioned, because they make a much better job of dithering things. It would be nice if Chris M (if you are reading) could ask the monitor team about the possibility of improving the behavior of the hue controls in custom mode to produce less noticeable banding.

Just an edit to add - so people don't get confused - What's been discussed here specifically relates to the HUE controls in Custom Mode causing noticeable banding very easily when set below a value of 48 or above 52. The A01 is a massive improvement, in terms of dither in Adobe/sRGB Mode, and the U2410 has very good performance with regards to no visible banding etc. What's being discussed here is only the HUE controls, just so people don't get confused and think there are still dithering issues with the U2410 beyond the A01 fix for Adobe/sRGB Mode dither.

13 Posts

Ok, now the question is: Is it better because of the firmware update or was this special monitor maybe not that much affected with it.

Could it be that some monitors have less probs with this issue, equal what firmware is on. Maybe Chris can tell us something about it. But I think he's still in the Monitor Team Meeting trying to find out how to handle the firmware update processed by the users.

1 Message

January 18th, 2010 11:00

Ordered one from the Ebay store on Jan13.  Unit that arrived 3 days later is an A01 made in Mexico, built in Dec2009, so at least some of the A01's are making their way into the Ebay store.   The slide out with the serial number does not have a sticker over he version, its proper inked as an A01 as it the box.  Your mileage may vary.

144 Posts

January 19th, 2010 01:00

Hi All, Hi Chris,

When could it be confirmed that a new order in Europe will be an A01 ?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Martidi

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 19th, 2010 05:00

I do not have a Sales contact over there.

144 Posts

January 19th, 2010 06:00

Ok Chris.

Thank you for you answer.

If anybody here have update about this, please could you post it here ?

:emotion-5:

Many Thanx

No Events found!