Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 17:00

U2410 Rev A01 eta?

Does anyone from dell have an ETA for the Ultrasharp U2410 rev a01?

It seems it would be wise to wait for the new rev. But i'm really interested in this screen :emotion-2:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 20th, 2010 06:00

All,

Have you had time to check the files with the Displays Team? If they "ok" them can I go ahead and flash my U2410?
* Yes, we discussed this at length. Do not flash the monitor. If you run the flash you will void the warranty. If the flash fails, we will not replace the monitor.

Is there any way to flash back to the original version?
* You cannot flash back to the original bios.

41 Posts

January 20th, 2010 06:00

All,

Have you had time to check the files with the Displays Team? If they "ok" them can I go ahead and flash my U2410?
* Yes, we discussed this at length. Do not flash the monitor. If you run the flash you will void the warranty. If the flash fails, we will not replace the monitor.

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for that meeting.  Dell is dropping the ball on this issue big-time.  More and more electronic devices require firmware updates and most are user-flashable.  I've updated my Blu-ray player at least three times already. 

The *rogue* firmware works, period.  It fixes the dithering.  Most of us who paid good money for a NEW monitor aren't going to send it in just to get a flashed and USED REFURB.  Waste of time, money and energy, especially considering some panels have the tint issue.

The flashing process is simple, the firmware fixes the dithering, what is the big issue?

Sad, IMO, that Dell doesn't provide a user-flashable firmware for the users who have asked politely for it so they can have a monitor that doesn't exhibit significant dithering in the monitor's *likely* two most useful modes - the RGB modes.

I'm guessing many would rather perform the flash and have a properly working monitor, than have an improperly working RGB color space and a warranty.  Somewhat ironic, that last bit.

If there is a valid reason for not providing the firmware, I'd love to hear it.

Again - angst is directed at corporate Dell, not you, I've appreciated your promptness, patience and diligence with respect to following-up on these issues.

20 Posts

January 20th, 2010 07:00

I think the same way as Gecks. It is laughable taht users should lose their warranty because of a simple firmwareupdate. As Gekcs already said, a lot of electronic components like TVs, Homecinema equipement and DVD-Burners recieve multiple firmware updates. Heck, even updating the BIOS of a mainboard is necessary and doesn't void your warranty while being much more risky.

The update process seems to be quite safe to me when using this tool. However, I don't want to void my warranty. But, like Gecks I don't want to exchange my monitor for a refurb.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

ordered one last friday, received yesterday. it's marked as a00.

no dithering issue, no tint.

I checked IPS tool and firmware looks like a01.

@bzbuzz

Which IPS tool are you referring to?

I'm actually waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive with my u2410.

Thanks.

- Bryan H

3 Posts

it shows as M1F19. I assume this is a01.

56 Posts

January 20th, 2010 11:00

So Dell appears to advocate a policy of needlessly transporting large items like monitors across large distances for a simple update procedure which can easily be performed by a home user? - A procedure which is as complicated as plugging the screen into a USB port, running the software, browsing to the update file, then pushing "START". Something many U2410 A00 owners have already performed without issue, and which is already allowed on many other Dell products, including laptops which also contain Dell monitors. The irony is laptops likely carry greater risks of potential problems from end users flashing the firmware, so claiming that it's on any technical grounds makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Does anyone have some time to devote to this? I am sure, using the environmental angle, with the correctly aimed media emails Dell could be forced into a policy reversal on this subject, because it's just plain wrong. Wrong on environmental grounds, and wrong on moral grounds. Why should a user, who bought a monitor in good faith be FORCED to exchange their screen for a refurbished one to obtain a SOFTWARE fix they can easily perform themselves? Dell didn't warn them that the sRGB mode did not work correctly. Now, if they want to correct it, they must accept a refurbished screen which - as has already been acknowledged - may be returned with additional issues their original screen didn't have, such as gradation tint issues?

WORSE, if users succeed in fixing the problem by themselves, Dell will now refuse to honour the warranty?! This strikes me as being incredibly MEAN SPIRITED by Dell. Why on Earth would you want to treat your customers in such ways? They just want to be happy with their purchase, and correct a software flaw in arguably the monitors most important mode - sRGB - and now you're going to tell them they've voided their warranty because of that?!

It's clear that some people have already received screens marked A00 which contain the fix anyway, so it's not like there's going to be any easy way for Dell to tell. It's just that the language used in the response is needlessly aggressive against the consumer, and shows an organisation that - whatever its motives - is certainly not about putting the customers interests first.

Chris M  - We know you're only the messenger on this, and someone else, probably earning a lot more money, gets to hide behind people such as yourself after making these decisions. I think we all appreciated your efforts, even if the answers we get are sometimes baffling in their stupidity. It'd be interesting to know the thinking behind why the Laptop Department at Dell gets to allow its users to flash their laptops, yet the Monitor Department does not.

Btw - If you can get a hold of the "DELL U2410_M1F190_0DFF.bin" firmware file, I don't see a reason why you could not flash back the U2410 to Revision A00. I think the firmware tool would warn you about it being an older version, but I don't see why it wouldn't work..

January 20th, 2010 12:00

Hey All,

Just an update if anyone cares. My monitor arrived (I'm in the US) a moment ago and the box says A01 on it. Looks like it was shipped from TN.

- Bryan H

18 Posts

January 20th, 2010 16:00

All,

Let me get this straight.  I live in the United States.  I have a U2410 A00 that I'm generally happy with, apart from the dithering issue.  A 'fix' has been developed to address that issue.   

If I decide I want the dithering fix, I have to initiate an exchange for a refurb with the updated firmware.

If I don't like the refurb, I can refuse the exchange and send the refurb back.  At that point, am I stuck with my current dithering-challenged display?  Or can I keep having Dell send me refurbs until I find one I like or Dell gets tired of dealing with me and tells me to get lost?

Dell North America would seriously rather ship monitors back and forth instead of releasing a supported flash update to end users?  Somebody has done the math and decided this makes some kind of financial sense?  The flash process is so unreliable in this case that it's better to exchange large numbers of displays instead of eating the occasional bad flash? 

The proverbial cat is out of the proverbial bag.  Thanks to Dell China, we now know that this monitor can be flashed by the end-user.  I can't imagine anybody being happy about having to exchange displays instead of being provided with a supported flash update.

Chris, please understand that none of this is directed at you personally.  Your honesty and candor are greatly appreciated.  I don't envy the position you're in at the moment at all.

30 Posts

January 20th, 2010 16:00

Seems a bit environmentally unfriendly to be sending monitors back and forth until people get one with the firmware fix, no?  But environmentally friendly to let people flash their monitors and just deal with the few that go wrong.  So if Dell wants to promote themselves as environmentally friendly, which course should they take?  Something to consider.

10 Posts

January 20th, 2010 17:00

its like flashing your HD TV i did this a couple of times on my Aqous

15 Posts

January 20th, 2010 19:00

I have a u2410 manufactured in czech dec 09. (Rev A00)

It has no tint issue that i can see, ive checked as far as i can see.

However, it looks like i have something that looks like backlight bleed from both lower corners, if i apply slight pressure to the bezel it will become a little worse and then go back the way it was before i applied gentle pressure. Any others with this problem?

Another thing, all black text on white backgrounds looks like they have some purple or pink tone mixed into them, no matter where on the monitor they are.

Last thing i wonder about.. it looks like there is a grainy layer of "something" on my monitor, when i look at the dithering test in sRGB i can see slight "noise" in the cubes but when i slide the slider in firefox sideways and the cube moves, the grain stays..

Are these any known problems? Ive tried with three different video cards for the "colored text" its really annoying to read when its not entirely black.

Thanks for any replies from Dell representatives or any other user!

January 20th, 2010 19:00

This is a very interesting and relevant discussion for me (and so sane compared to other complaint boards I've read through-- kudos to the community).

I'm a graphics professional. I'd planned to buy the u2410... until I found this discussion. Now I don't know what to do. To cut to the chase, am I reading correctly that if I order a new monitor from Dell early February I might still end up with a panel that dithers and/or has a red/green tint?

I can wait until summer but Feb. would be best for my business.

18 Posts

January 20th, 2010 20:00

However, it looks like i have something that looks like backlight bleed from both lower corners, if i apply slight pressure to the bezel it will become a little worse and then go back the way it was before i applied gentle pressure. Any others with this problem?

IPS glow

Last thing i wonder about.. it looks like there is a grainy layer of "something" on my monitor, when i look at the dithering test in sRGB i can see slight "noise" in the cubes but when i slide the slider in firefox sideways and the cube moves, the grain stays..

Panel coating

15 Posts

January 20th, 2010 21:00

[quote user="J0lle"]However, it looks like i have something that looks like backlight bleed from both lower corners, if i apply slight pressure to the bezel it will become a little worse and then go back the way it was before i applied gentle pressure. Any others with this problem?

IPS glow

Panel coating

[/quote]

Seems like you are correct on both issues, i guess these are nothing you can really complain about? Ive had quite a few lcd's before and the panel coating has never been this heavy.. it looks almost like i have to look through some sort of filter. Do the IPS-glow differe from monitor to monitor or will this be pretty consistent?

And you dont know what i talk about regarding the "colored" text? It almost like it cant sort out black from white when the text is pretty small

Thanks a lot for your quick reply :)

No Events found!