Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2010 08:00

U2410 Software Setup

Hi,

I've just unpacked and set up a new U2410.  Looking through the  glossy "Set Up Your Monitor" pamphlet and html user guide, I see no instructions about what to do with the driver and icm profile on the CD.  There's a "read me" file on the CD with instructions for manually installing the driver. Was there supposed to be an automatic install somehow?

Where can I find some guidance as to how to proceed?  Does Dell not provide some kind of guide to color management with this monitor?  I don't even see in the documentation any discussion of color management.

I am further confused in this respect by discussions on this board regarding a defective icm profile for this monitor, and a posing that installing the driver is not necessary.

Thanks for any help!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 6th, 2010 13:00

Was there supposed to be an automatic install somehow?
* Nope. You have to manually load the driver per these Installation Instructions

* The latest ICM is here

* If using Firefox, remember to load it in Firefox- Add-ons- Color Management- Preference- All Images

Windows 7/Vista
* Open Color Management by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel
* In the search box, type color management, and then click Color Management
* Click the All Profiles tab, and then click Add
* Locate and select the new color profile, and then click Add
* Click Close

Windows XP
* Right click the Desktop
* Click Properties
* Click Settings
* Click Advanced
* Click Color Management
* Click Add
* Locate and select the new color profile, and then click Add
* Click Apply- OK

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 7th, 2010 12:00

Thanks, Chris.  It seems quite odd to me that these instructions are not provided with the monitor. 

Be that as it may, I note the the monitor is working so far reasonably well without the Dell driver.  Under properties > settings > advanced >  montior, I see the information below.  It says "no driver is installed or required for this device."  Do I need the Dell driver?  What advantage will it provide?

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 7th, 2010 19:00

Chris,

I've downloaded the file R221989.exe that your "Installation Instructions" link took me to.  It creates a folder dell\drivers\R216078 with the following files:

DELL_U2410.ICM
DELL_U2410.inf
u2410.cat

It does not create the folder R221989, as in the Installation Instructions, nor is there any Setup.exe file in the folder, as also promised in the instructions. So I'm at something of a loss.

I did try right-clicking on the inf file and installing it.  I also installed the latest ICM in the Color Management Panel.  The result is below.  I'm confused that the DELL_U2410.ICM has been installed as the "driver".  Should it be the new "Betav3.icm"?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 07:00

It sounds like you have it loaded correctly. Maybe some other users will respond.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 9th, 2010 16:00

Chris,

Just to clarify: You're saying that it's OK to have the old DELL_U2410.ICM as the "driver," with the new Betav3.icm as the icm for color management?

Incidentally, I called Dell support and was told that this monitor doesn't need a driver, because it's plug and play.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 20:00

It should be fine that way. How do things look (internet explorer, windows picture viewer, etc.) ?

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 10th, 2010 14:00

It should be fine that way. How do things look (internet explorer, windows picture viewer, etc.) ?

Chris,

So far as I can tell thus far, the colors are fine once the monitor gets warmed up.  When I start after it's been off all night, there's a distinct yellow tint.

The reason I've persisted on this is just to make sure I've got it set up right.  After spending $500+ on it, it's natural, it seems to me, to want to make sure one is getting the best possible performance.

Thanks!

No Events found!