Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2013 12:00

U2410 USB HUB

Hi,

I have many U2410 (about 150 at the moment) on the site where I am working.

About half of them on Linux CentOS and the other half on Win7.

Recently I had 3 monitors with the same USB HUB issue (2 on linux, 1 on windows)

If they closes their monitors they lose connection from the HUB to the computer, so perifirials pluged in do not work anymore (unless they reboot the computer).

Every single one of thoses setup (150 / 150) is plugged the same way (Keyboard and mouse in the USB at the back) and every single HUB is connected to the computer using the cable provided by DELL in the U2410 box.

Is the HUB not "technically" suposed to be used that way on a U2410 and i'm lucky that only 2-3 / 150 doesnt work, or are they broken and should be reaplaced ?

Thank you in advance for your help and support

VG-IT-004

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 5th, 2013 07:00

VG-IT-004,

All USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard) should never be plugged into monitor USB ports. They should always be plugged directly into the computers onboard USB ports. Now, if the monitor is powered off, the monitor USB hub is automatically turned OFF. That is normal and by design.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2013 08:00

Roger that.

Then my second question is, is it normal then that the USB HUB doesnt not power-up by itself once the monitor is re-powered ?  Is that only linked to the fact that I have stuff pluged in it at that moment ?  Is there a chance it will do the same thing with, let's say, a small USB personal FAN ?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 6th, 2013 05:00

When the monitor is turned on, the USB hub is powered on but not re-initalized by the computer. I cannot speak to a stand-alone USB fan.

1 Message

February 8th, 2013 02:00

Sorry, in my opinion but this is simply not true -- at least, not on my monitor.  When the monitor is turned off, the USB ports remain ON.  When the monitor is turned ON, the USB ports are powered off and reinitialized.  I do not see any possible use or benefit for this.
Additionally, you are quite adamant that keyboards and mice should not be plugged into a monitor. The monitor is a perfect hub for plugging in a keyboard and mouse -- connect a laptop to the monitor, connect the monitor's USB source connector to the laptop, and voila, you have a workstation.  Plugging in each device into a laptop separately is cumbersome and wastes USB ports that are scarce on many modern laptops.  Additionally, the monitor has two USB ports that are effectively unreachable under day-to-day use.  They are clearly intended for USB devices that one will not unplug often, such as a keyboard and a mouse.  Moreover, keyboards and mice are low-bandwidth devices, making them ideal for sharing a hub with each other and with other devices.
However, if I were to abide by your suggestion that the keyboard and mouse should never be plugged into the monitor's USB ports, what is it that should actually go in them?  I can't think of a single USB device that i'd be happy with resetting automatically any time I power cycle the monitor, much less when I accidentally press the prominent power button with my arm while reaching for something on my desk or adjusting the stand (which happens often).  Compact flash readers are perfect candidates for use in the side of a monitor, but if accidentally powering off the monitor may result in data (or, worse, fat32 filesystem) corruption, then I clearly can't use it for this purpose, either.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 8th, 2013 06:00

When the monitor is turned off, the USB ports remain ON.
* The U2410 manual states, "The monitor's USB interface works only when the monitor is on or in power save mode.

Why do you feel this way?
* Many times, a computer on booting up will fail to see the monitor USB hub, thus the user does not have access to the keyboard and mouse to enter the computers pre-windows Bios. Dell has always recommended that the keyboard and mouse should always be plugged directly into the computer USB ports.

what is it that should actually go in them?
* I use mine for USB keys and drives. But I disconnect them before turning the monitor off.

No Events found!