Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2011 18:00

U2410, no Sleep Mode with HDMI cable [SOLVED]

Hello,

I have a pair of U2410 monitors attached to my computer running Windows 7.  When I attach either monitor to the computer via DVI or VGA the monitor will sleep when the operating system issues the sleep command (ie the "turn monitor off after x minutes" setting in the control panel.)   When I attach the U2410 monitor via HDMI cable, however, this does not occur. Instead the monitor power light remains blue and a floating "No HDMI Input" message floats around the screen.

I would like the monitor to "sleep" when its mate connected via DVI "sleeps"

After spending more than three hours scouring the internet and these forums I am still unable to get the behavior I am seeking.  According to the troubleshooting guide for the monitor, I am to "turn off audio input" via OCD On Screen Display -- the menu system on the monitor itself.  I would do this if I were able, but the option OCD Menu -> Other Settings -> Power Save Audio is non-selectable.  The menu option is disabled and I cannot select it to change it.  I reset the montior to factory settings and tried again but this option remains unavailable to me.

I do not want to connect this monitor via VGA. Turning a digital screen buffer to an analog signal back to a digital display is not why I bought this monitor.

Is it possible to sleep mode to kick in for HDMI?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The solution I finally went with was to purchase a HDMI-to-DVI male-to-male cable.

1 Message

December 27th, 2011 14:00

The simple solution I found was to use an HDMI to DVI adapter on the monitor's DVI-D 1 input.  The monitor then goes to sleep no problem.  I'm sure you could use an adapter at either end or an HDMI to DVI cable.  I'm using this with my on-board Intel HD3000 graphics, driver version 8.15.10.2559.

1 Message

November 29th, 2017 19:00

I recently moved my U2410 from DP port to HDMI port on my GTX 670 (because only the DP port supports 60Hz for my new UHD monitor), and had the same issue.  However, as soon as I switched to another two cables, the monitor immediately went into sleep mode.  So I tested the pins with a multimeter:  

A diagram of a type A HDMI receptacle, showing 10 pins on the top row and 9 pins on the bottom row (total 19 pins).

On the bad cable ("No HDMI Cable"), pin 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18 are open (no connection).

On the first good cable (monitor goes to sleep), all the six pins above are connected.

On the second good cable, pin 3 and 6 are connected, but 9, 12, 15 and 18 are open.

So pin 3 and/or 6 are likely used by the monitor to detect if an HDMI cable is connected. According to Wikipedia:

• Pin 3 TMDS Data2−
  • Pin 6 TMDS Data1−

16 Posts

November 1st, 2011 20:00

Bump.

16 Posts

November 11th, 2011 15:00

Bump Bump.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2011 06:00

same problem here. Did you find any solution/firmware update for this issue?

16 Posts

December 4th, 2011 06:00

i'm trying various video card drivers but no luck yet.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2011 03:00

I guess it's a bug in the firmware. I'm thinking about requesting a refund for it as it is quite uncomfortable to use with hdmi at this state.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2011 03:00

4 Posts

December 12th, 2011 07:00

upgrading the firmware did not help

16 Posts

December 14th, 2011 19:00

I feel your pain.  If I could just get the video card to treat the monitor as a monitor instead of a TV I think it would work okay.

January 29th, 2012 16:00

I am having the same problem with a HP 8730w laptop. When connected to the HDMI+VGA port, the power cycles indefinitely on the U2410.

I called Dell support two times. For both calls, the support representative hung-up on me because I was not using a Dell computer to connect to this monitor. I know it is a monitor issue since I performed the same connection on a WFP2408 without this problem.

I hope this firmware bug will be fixed soon. Very disappointed with the Dell technical support staffs I talked with.

January 29th, 2012 18:00

That's what I said too. It definitely was a frustrating experience for me.

In either case, let us hope this problem is resolved soon. I really don't want to power off my monitor when I am going to be away from my computer and sometimes I forget to do so. Cycling between the two modes indefinitely is almost for certain not good for the lifespan of the monitor. Since this is not a LED back-lit monitor, it probably uses CCFL and CCFL have limited number of on/off cycles.

58 Posts

January 29th, 2012 18:00

Not using a Dell computer...??? What the hell has that got to do with your disfunctional Dell monitor?

Hopefully a Dell tech will give you better support after reading your post.

16 Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

After months and months of this, I believe the answer from JEFFC111 is the BEST answer to my problem.  I, in fact, purchased another video card first (note: this worked!) and used 1 DVI connection from each card to 1 monitor.  Cost: Approx $45. I don't need high-end cards.  

[SOLUTION HERE]

I purchased a 6ft Male-Male HDMI-to-DVI connector.  Cost: approx US$5.50. I removed the second video card, then attached DVI-to-DVI on monitor 1, HDMI-to-DVI on monitor 2, set Windows 7 to turn display off after one minute, waited, and what do you know? Both monitors went to sleep. Hooray.

This is not the ideal solution; I would have of course prefered some sort of no-cost software solution, but this gets the job done well and only 5 bucks. Needless to say I'm sticking with this solution and not wasting any more time trying to solve it any other way.  Thank you everyone for your help. I gave all of you helpful votes.

February 11th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the solution Carlcamera. I can confirm that using HDMI to DVI connector does work for me (HDMI on laptop side and DVI on monitor side). However, HDMI to HDMI does not work. This is one of the indications that the firmware for the HDMI port for this monitor is bugged. I'm currently using both of my DVI ports for my monitor and I really don't want to plug and unplug the DVI cables all the time. So I think your solution is probably the best one out there but sorta inconvenient for me.

No Events found!