Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 10:00

U2410 colors yellow - Photoshop CS4 reports "Monitor Profile 'Dell U2410' appears to be defective"

I recently purchased a U2410 - which I love.  It gives me excellent color range and fidelity.

However, when I start Photoshop I get the message in the subject line.  If I select the option to "use anyway" I get an image with a starkly yellow tint - as I do in ANY app that uses the profile.

The U2410 comes with a great quantitative report on the color fidelity of this individual monitor as tested by hardware.  I really want to have the proper Monitor Profile, which I'm certainly not equipped to provide.

Anybody else have trouble with their profile?   Will I have to return the unit? 

56 Posts

November 25th, 2009 01:00

The problem is people are installing the Dell U2410 ICM monitor profile from the CD along with the ini driver file (which allows the monitor to show as a Dell U2410(Digital) in Windows device manager etc.)

Dell included a profile which describes the colour gamut of the monitor. Unfortunately it seems to make things worse for everyone in colour managed applications (which include Photoshop and Windows Photo Gallery etc) .As some have said, Photoshop reports the profile as "defective", although it does accept the profile and you can set Photoshop to turn off the notification. HOWEVER I'd suggest you don't use the profile at all.

To remove it go to Control Panel, Color Management, and under the Devices tab there is a section which says "Profiles associated with this device". Delete the Dell U2410 profile from there. Now your colour managed applications will not use the ICM profile, and any green tint will be gone.

The real "solution" to this is to generate your own profile using a calibration device, although perhaps Dell will manage to provide a better default ICM file which doesn't make whites green and report itself as corrupted when you open Photoshop :)

62 Posts

November 25th, 2009 03:00

The real "solution" to this is to generate your own profile using a calibration device, although perhaps Dell will manage to provide a better default ICM file which doesn't make whites green and report itself as corrupted when you open Photoshop :)

problem with that is that ideally the ICC on the cd should match the factory calibration of your monitor, each monitor is different and needs a different calibration, would be too much hassle for DELL to burn a personalized ICC profile for each unit that comes out of the production line. Too expensive.

I would say don't bother with the ICC on the CD, is useless unless you are lucky enough to have been shipped the exact same monitor that DELL used in their lab to generate the ICC stored on the CD. ;P

Buy a good calibrator and create your own profile or set the standard windows profile and play with the controls in the OSD under the custom preset to match you "idea" of good white/red/green/blu.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2009 06:00

Also note that holding CTRL-ALT-SHIFT and resetting my defaults made no difference either.  My guess is the previous poster who mentioned this trick accidentally clicked "Ignore" when the profile error occurred instead of "Use anyway".

As i mentioned before, i was having issues with displaying white color in Photoshop CS3 (after Dell U2410 installation) - white was displayed as light green color. In WIndows XP and all other applications white was properly displayed as white. CTRL+ALT+SHIFT solved that problem with white / green in Photoshop.

"Monitor profile appears to be defective" error is still present!

13 Posts

November 25th, 2009 08:00

thank you Chris.

9 Posts

November 25th, 2009 09:00

As i mentioned before, i was having issues with displaying white color in Photoshop CS3 (after Dell U2410 installation) - white was displayed as light green color. In WIndows XP and all other applications white was properly displayed as white. CTRL+ALT+SHIFT solved that problem with white / green in Photoshop.

"Monitor profile appears to be defective" error is still present!

Nornick,

As I mentioned previously, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT does not solve the white /green problem in Photoshop.  This is not a Photoshop settings problem.  As you said, the error is still present. Continuing to use the profile by clicking "Use Anyway" instead of "Ignore" results in screwed up colors. By removing the icm profile through windows settings, the colors revert back to their normal state, there is no need to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT.

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT does nothing to solve this problem and will only wipe out all the other non-related customization done in the program.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2009 04:00

:)) i think we have a missunderstanding here :)))

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT  resets not only general preferences, but it also clears (along with others) Color Settings.csf and Custom proof setups (psf) along with some plugins. Im using PS from 1991 - 1992, so its not that were talking begginers stuff here.

On my OS - white / green problem in Photoshop CS3 extended was present event after removing DELL icm profile in windows! 
there was no "profile defective error" after that, but white/green color was still a problem!

So, thats when CTRL+ALT+SHIFT comes in - after reseting, white is properly displayed as white (icm profile is sRGB).
Then - ive installed U2410 icm profile, and white is also properly displayed as white, but "monitor profile appears to be defective" shows up again.

Now, along with this Dell U2410, i have EIZO S2441w, SOny GDM FW900, Mitsubishi Diamondtron (just for colorchecking) etc...and none of these monitors never had any problems...Obviously icm profile for this DELL U2410 has a bug. thats all ... :)

9 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 13:00

Hello all,

I've got a user who has a pair of U2410's that's also experiencing this issue. Photoshop tells him the calibration is defective; white looks green, etc. These monitors are only a couple of weeks old... what's going on?

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 14:00

Window XP 32bit in VGA connection.  I usually do minor photo touch up using PhotoShop (which complained a defective color profile that came with U2410).  The brownish grey color in my picture  turn into greenish.  I am not an experience computer user, and I need to make a decision quick.  I appreciate if you can help to answer the following questions.

(1) Is it just a shipped color profile problem?  (Y or N).   If the answer is NO, then what is the problem, and can the problem be fixed?  (Y or N).   If YES, will DELL fixes it? (Y or N).

(2) if it is color profile problem, will DELL fixes it?  (Y or N).  If YES, when shall I expect the fixes to come out?  If the answer is NO, then, can I fix it by buying some monitor color calibration device like SPYDER?  (Y or N).

(3) Can I return the monitor back to DELL (just got it less than 1 week)?  (Y or N).  If the answer is YES, what is my the costs to me?

13 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 14:00

Re: U2410 colors yellow - Photoshop CS4 reports "Monitor Profile 'Dell U2410' appears to be defective" PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent

So thats:

David Cheney

Spriggz

PeterClovelly

Gecks

Nonick

PeterMorris01

-Ian-

jrronimo x 2

daoster

reporting the problem - across CS3 and CS4, Windows XP and 7, and 32 and 64bit.  

56 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

(1) Is it just a shipped color profile problem?  (Y or N).

Yes. If you notice any visible tint without the profile installed then that is likely to be the settings on the monitor. If you notice uneven tint (where one side is greenish and the other pinkish etc) that is the separate colour gradation issue, which Dell are refusing to fix. ( http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302919.aspx )

(2) if it is color profile problem, will DELL fixes it?  (Y or N).  If YES, when shall I expect the fixes to come out?  If the answer is NO, then, can I fix it by buying some monitor color calibration device like SPYDER?  (Y or N).

Well, I can't answer for Dell here but, yes, a device like a Spyder would fix the profile issue.

(3) Can I return the monitor back to DELL (just got it less than 1 week)?  (Y or N).  If the answer is YES, what is my the costs to me?

If you got it direct from Dell then you should be able to return it within that period. Don't know about costs - it's free in the UK. If you bought from someone other than Dell then you need to go via them for a refund.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

Thank you for your help.   Can Spyder also calibrate Gamma?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 10:00

We just got word that the issue was replicated with CS4 and that they had escalated it.

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 13:00

Huzzah! I hope they are able to find an easy fix.

I think we have enough data points at this point, but I should have mentioned that my user is on Windows 7 64-bit with Adobe CS4. If it matters, the monitors are connected by DVI to an nVidia graphics card running recent (but not the latest) drivers. I believe the problem is only happening on one monitor.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2009 05:00

Any word on a fix for this?  I made the mistake a few days ago of downloading a Windows Update for the Dell U2410 and it installed the "defective" ICC profile (it didn't indicate that it was delivering the profile to my computer - it was listed as a driver update).  Suddenly every application that uses an ICC profile (Breezebrowser, Adobe Photoshop CS) was putting a yellow hue on the images (and Photoshop CS gave the error indicated in previous posts that CS4 gave).  I'm using the monitor with a Dell Studio XPS 9000, 64bit, with Windows 7 Home Premium.  Deleting the ICC profile returned things to normal - but it would be nice to have a working ICC profile.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2009 00:00

Hi Chris,

I just got the U2410 monitor to use with CS4 and got the same error msg with the icm profile. I was able to get rid of it by trying to use the Spyder 2 to calibrate it - unfortunately, there are more controls on the monitor, and the so-called manual doesn't say anything about what they do.

I guess Gain has to do with the levels of each color.

But what does Saturation do?

What about Hue?

And then there's Offset?

thanks

Brcue

We just got word that the issue was replicated with CS4 and that they had escalated it.

No Events found!