Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 10:00

U2410 colors yellow - Photoshop CS4 reports "Monitor Profile 'Dell U2410' appears to be defective"

I recently purchased a U2410 - which I love.  It gives me excellent color range and fidelity.

However, when I start Photoshop I get the message in the subject line.  If I select the option to "use anyway" I get an image with a starkly yellow tint - as I do in ANY app that uses the profile.

The U2410 comes with a great quantitative report on the color fidelity of this individual monitor as tested by hardware.  I really want to have the proper Monitor Profile, which I'm certainly not equipped to provide.

Anybody else have trouble with their profile?   Will I have to return the unit? 

11 Posts

January 15th, 2010 06:00

I just grabbed a low quality image of fajitas from Google's Image search. I placed it in Windows Picture Viewer and Photoshop side-by-side. Perhaps this is what the previous user was referencing?

I just uploaded the sample for viewing.

http://www.netmasons.com/sampleA.jpg

15 Posts

January 15th, 2010 09:00

It seems to be working we on my computer. Thanks!

7 Posts

January 15th, 2010 12:00

Your the 1st to report it is not working. Makes me wonder if your PS settings are not the same as the others.

http://img685.imageshack.us/i/samplez.jpg

Check this one. I even convert profile for picture (in PS) to "24 inch...". 

Same effect is visible for pictures with high iso level. 

I think that sample posted earlier have same issue due to higher contrast in windows viewer.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2010 18:00

I have the same problem.

I am using CS2

Win XP-Pro

41 Posts

January 16th, 2010 18:00

Chris M -

Unfortunately, I can confirm that I am having the same issue as reported by DooDah_pl.  I didn't catch it at first as it is subtle, but it is definitely there.  There is dithering in the Windows Viewer mode, however the same image and file is fine in PS and when viewed in a browser (IE).

Here is a picture of an image in PS and the Viewer, dithering is quite evident.

Full res:  http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7839/u2410betaicmdithering.jpg

7 Posts

January 16th, 2010 19:00

This isnt only our problem for sure.

Dell... 

We can just wait for final version of ICM and confirmation FW by Chris on monday....

1 Message

January 17th, 2010 10:00

Hello "DELL-Chris M",

Thank you for passing on the yellow defect reports to engineering. Can you please confirm that Dell is now working on providing a solution (updated driver? updated.icc profile? profile management instructions?) to enable proper viewing of pictures in, e.g., Windows Photo Gallery and Photoshop (solution for Photoshop provided below) using the U2410 Dell monitor (Rev A01), i.e. without the yellow coloration of the picture and even of the app's native white background?

Sorry to have to state what is obvious to all, but this is seems like an incredibly irresponsible and incompetent mess-up by Dell. This monitor is pretty expensive and extravagantly touted as top of the line and superb for viewing colors, and it still can't even open pictures properly in Rev A01 using WPG, the native picture app using a Dell computer running on Windows Vista software purchased from none other than Dell, or using Photoshop, the photo editing workhorse software out there (also purchased from Dell...), all of which using the latest driver for the U2410. How is it possible that such a fundamental issue is not even addressed in the troubleshooting guide? On top of that, the monitor can't project a smooth white screen due to the pink/green gradient tinting issue which is still not resolved in Rev A01 which is annoying when viewing web pages.

Admittedly, the monitor's performance with high quality photos is stunning when one manages to view them properly, for example as desktop background.

SOLUTION TO REMOVE THE YELLOW TINT IN PHOTOSHOP:

1. Open Photoshop; 2. click "Edit" pull-down menu; 3.  Select "Color setting"; and 4. Select: "No Color Management". BINGO!  :-)))

Thanks,

Simon

January 18th, 2010 01:00

Chris,

Like others, I find the new profile has eliminated the "defective profile" error message when opening Photoshop, and pictures look OK in Photoshop.  However pictures in Photo Viewer are poor - noisy and seemingly high in contrast and saturation.

When I re-select the old profile (the one that came with my monitor), pictures look exactly the same in Photoshop and Photo Viewer, but both have the yellow tint.

Peter

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 18th, 2010 05:00

Explain in GREAT detail what you consider wrong with the Windows Photo Gallery picture on the right. They both look fine to me.

41 Posts

January 18th, 2010 06:00

Basically, it is oversaturated and noisy.  The dark tones (greys) show it best.  If you look at the player's jersey, right in the middle of his chest, you can see the oversaturated dark shades.  It almost looks like dithering.  It's kind of hard to show it in a screen grab but it is quite noticeable live. 

I will try and create a better example.

41 Posts

January 18th, 2010 06:00

Here is a better example, open and view it in Internet Explorer.  You can clearly view the oversaturated and noisy *dithering* in the left.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6673/u2410betaicmoversaturat.jpg

56 Posts

January 18th, 2010 09:00

Just a post to confirm what is being reported by some others. The new Beta ICM file renders dark shades like black differently in Windows Photo Viewer in comparison to Adobe Photoshop (where all is well). I did an image search for the picture of the guy in the black shirt with the baseball glove someone posted, which you can find here..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2009-06/47313973.jpg

If you open the picture in Photoshop and Windows Photo Viewer and examine the dark shirt carefully you will see some of the black areas are much darker than they otherwise should be.. But this does not happen inside Photoshop, or when you remove the colour profile. Also, the Beta ICM Profile appears to report its name as "24 Inch LCD Monitor". It might be a good idea to also make sure it says something more specific about the U2410 before releasing it :)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 18th, 2010 21:00

DooDah_pl, Spriggz, gavcam, PeterClovelly, Gecks, P.A.K,

What operating system and version number of Windows Photo Viewer?
DooDah_pl
Spriggz
gavcam Windows XP Pro
PeterClovelly
Gecks
P.A.K

11 Posts

January 18th, 2010 21:00

Windows Photo Viewer: (n/a) Whatever the version is that is on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Also in case you might need any of this information since I will be out most of tomorrow.

Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair

Processor: Intel i7-920

Graphics: EVGA GTX275 with the most up to date drivers.

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Hard Drive: Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black

Hope this helps!

7 Posts

January 19th, 2010 01:00

Similar to Spriggz

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Photo Viewer from instalation.

No Events found!