Highlighted
dmitriw
1 Copper

U2410 with brand new XPS laptop going into Power save mode and not waking up using HDMI cable.

Hi, everyone,

I'm helping a non-techie friend set up her new XPS laptop with her new U2410 external monitor.

After being informed by Dell Tech Support the Targus docking station we purchased to handle the external monitor was incompatible with XPS laptops (it was blue screening after 5 minutes), we were told to buy an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the external monitor.  We did so.

Now, after a few minutes of inactivity, the external monitor goes dark with the message "Entering Power Save Mode".  When it goes dark or goes to sleep, the only way to "wake it up" if that's the right term, is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. 

I've tried changing all the power settings on the laptop to prevent the screensaver from starting up and have changed all the Win 7 Power Option settings to either "never" or 999 minutes.  The monitor still goes dark after a few minutes and requires unplugging the HDMI cable to restore the signal to the monitor.

I've read some of the other posts on this topic.  Is it really true that if I use a Dell XPS laptop connected to a Dell U2410 monitor via an HDMI cable, they can't communicate well enough for the monitor to "wake up" when you press a key or move the mouse?  This XPS laptop does not have a secondary video out port, the only way I can connect to an external monitor is through the HDMI port.  Unplugging the cable to reinitialize the connection seems like a really hokey kludge. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: U2410 with brand new XPS laptop going into Power save mode and not waking up using HDMI cable.

Try disabling DDC/CI in the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) Other Settings to see if it helps.

0 Kudos