Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2012 19:00

U2412M - Aspect ratios and stretching

I just got my U2412M today, and while it looks great, there is one thing that is disappointing.

When I put a non-native aspect ratio on it (like 1600x1200), it automatically stretches to fill the entire screen.  The only way I can maintain the correct aspect ratio is to manually set the aspect ratio to 4:3.  Doing this manually is not a very convenient option when playing older games, because then it will be messed up (1920x1200 squeezed to 4:3) each time I switch out of the game.  This also means that there is apparently no way to support other non-standard aspect ratios.

On my Samsung monitor I am able to set the aspect ratio to Auto, which means it will stretch vertically if necessary, and then pillarbox to maintain the aspect ratio.  Is there any option on the U2412M that I just haven't noticed to make it behave the same way?  An option between stretch, pillarbox, letterbox, and 1:1 would be ideal.

If there are really no good options on the monitor itself, does anyone know of some software that can force what I'm looking for before it goes out to the monitor?  I use an nVidia GTX570 and Win7 64-bit.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2012 08:00

There should be scaling options available in the Nvidia Control Panel (similar also for AMD in Catalyst Control Center).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 16th, 2012 06:00

It is working as designed. Cumbersome I admit. I have not seen any software that could do this.

2 Posts

February 18th, 2012 08:00

NICE, thanks

If anyone else is wondering, for nVidia drivers the option is in NVIDIA Control Panel -> Adjust desktop size and position -> Select scaling mode: Aspect ratio AND Perform scaling on: GPU.  By selecting GPU, the graphics card will handle the pillarboxing/letterboxing for you, which so far seems to be exactly what I wanted

1 Message

February 22nd, 2012 08:00

I have a U2412 and I have the same problem as the original poster. The NVidia Control Panel solution is not acceptable to me. Does the Dell U2410 support auto aspect ratio as described by the original poster? 

No Events found!