Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2018 19:00

U2412M, BID, vertical green line

U2412M worked fine for about 5 months and all of a sudden has a green vertical line. 

I followed steps to reset to factory default, also unplugged power and DVI port, waited 30 seconds and powered on. Green line remains. Ran BID and it shows on grey, red, white screens. Answers to question in FAQ:

* What is the 20 digit alpha-numeric monitor serial number and A0x revision?  
CN-04V35D-QDC00-782-107S  A04
* To what computer model is the monitor attached?
MacBook Pro 13"
* What video card/GPU is in the computer?
MacBook internal GPU, HDMI port to DVI
* What video out ports are on the video card/GPU or computer?
HDMI w/ DVI adapter
* List all monitor cabling attached to the computer and the ports they are using
HDMI w/ DVI adapter
* What Windows power plan? Example = High performance, PCI-e Link State Off
Not Windows
* Press the monitor Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display). The bottom of that screen should show a resolution. What is listed?
1920x1200@60Hz
* Was the monitor purchased directly from Dell or some reseller?
Direct from Dell.

FWIW, I tried to go through the Dell support contact page and was directed to a phone number, the technician that answered the line (name is Hardik) read the standard script, but I told him the issue is showing even without the computer plugged in and that I believe I have an issue warranty covers. He insisted I reboot my system and hit F12. I told him I have a Mac and he told me I need to call Apple Customer Support because they have the 'codes that can be downloaded to make the monitor work' he then proceeded to tell me that they only support Dell Laptops. After asking for a supervisor, he told me that he already to spoke his supervisor and that his supervisor said I needed to contact Apple. I asked to be able to exchange the monitor and he 'warm transferred' me without giving me the number to Dell Customer Care, which apparently was closed. I find the Technical Support & Warranty people who answer the phones extremely lacking in knowledge courtesy.  

Please helpIMG_6830.JPGIMG_5366.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 30th, 2018 06:00

The warranty is from September 05, 2017 to September 06, 2020. In this case, the computer connected to the U2412M is moot. The fact that the U2412M failed the BID (Built-in Diagnostics) (page 43) is justification enough to get a R/U (refurbished/used) monitor exchange. The technician and his manager obviously did not think this through.

* Contact Support again. I would use email so you can send them the pictures
* Subject line = Service Tag number, U2412M, Failed stand alone BID (Built-in Diagnostics)
* In the body, provide to them your Service Tag number, shipping address, phone
* State the issue, "green vertical line when running the "stand alone" BID (Built-in Diagnostics)"
* Since it failed the "no computer" stand alone BID, they should issue you a used/refurbished exchange
* Attach the pictures

Per the warranty, any replacement monitor exchange setup after the first 30 days from the original invoice date will be a R/U monitor. A R/U monitor could have any or all of the following and still be acceptable by Dell policy =
* Cosmetic blemishes on the monitor plastics or any part of the bezel
* Less than 6 stuck dark pixel

4 Posts

March 30th, 2018 10:00

Hmmmm.... I went to the email link you provided.  It is not able to find either the Service tag or ESC that I entered.  Is the system having issues?

4 Posts

March 30th, 2018 10:00

Thanks Dude, btw congrats on 10+ year anniversary (the first post when I googled for the green line issue was from 2009). 

FYI, after logging in, I went  Support [Contact US] -> Technical Support -> (Select my monitor from list of my items) -> [ Distorted screen or other image issues OR External monitor not working or blank ] 

= Both options only list a phone number.  Though email is my preferred way since it leave a documentation trail.

Unfortunately, L1 tech support is not paid to think, just to read scripts.  Thanks for your help!  Whatever they are paying you, the should still give you a raise!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 31st, 2018 06:00

Send both to me via private message. I will check them in the internal tools. The link was for USA. Are you in the USA? Was the monitor purchased via the Dell USA site?

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 21:00

I tried sending PM but the system now says "You have reached the limit of private messages you can send for now.  Please try again later."     Actually, I have not sent any, not sure if because my account is new??? Please send me one and perhaps I can reply with ST and SVC.

Yes, purchase via Dell USA site, and I am in the US.

Service Tag:  ------------
SVC:   ----------------

NOTE: the green line on my monitor has disappeared after about a week.  I'm going to wait and see if it comes back.  However, please do look up the numbers to see why they aren't in the link you provided in the event I continue to have problems.  Thanks!

-Jorge
No Events found!