Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2020 03:00

U2412M, PC HDMI to DisplayPort cable question

Hi,

I have Lenovo laptop and using U2412M monitor. I do have HDMI to DisplayPort cable. When I try to connect with monitor it tells me that " there is no signal coming from your computer"  Press any key on the keyboard or move the mouse to wake it up. I don't want to use many converters and cables. I want to use single cable and could you please tell me how to move forward with my case?

Many thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 28th, 2020 04:00

(1) A PC HDMI out port cannot drive two monitors
(2) A PC HDMI out port cannot upconvert to a monitor DP in port. The straight cables are designed to do the opposite =
PC DP out port --> DP to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in port
(3) Two monitors in a DP MST daisy chain cannot be using any HDMI port

In a SINGLE monitor setup, this should work =
X270 HDMI out port --> HDMI to DVI cable --> U2412M DVI in port
X270 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2414H HDMI in port
X270 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2417H HDMI in port

The only way to run two monitors from this Lenovo ThinkPad X270 is via its USB Type-C out port.

* The power AC adapter must be connected to the Lenovo ThinkPad X270

Lenovo ThinkPad X270 USB Type-C out port --> USB Type-C to DP cable --> U2417H DP in port (Menu- Display- MST on)

U2417H DP out port --> U2417H DP to mDP cable --> U2414H mDP in port

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2020 13:00

As mentioned above, DisplayPort to HDMI cables only allow a DisplayPort source to work with an HDMI display input, since most (but not all) DisplayPort source ports support switching to HDMI signaling.  They cannot be used in the opposite direction, since HDMI outputs do not support switching to DisplayPort signaling, and displays do not support receiving a native HDMI signal on their DisplayPort inputs.

If you get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable though, you should be fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 24th, 2020 05:00

Let's backup. What video out ports are on the Lenovo laptop?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 25th, 2020 05:00

Awaiting a response to my previous public troubleshooting reply?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2020 05:00

Since we have not received a reply from you, we are closing this case.

March 27th, 2020 01:00

Hi Chris,

I googled it and found that Lenovo thinkpad X270 has a full size HDMI video out port and a USB Type-C out port.

Lenovo ThinkPad X270 Ports and Inputs

Along the left edge, you'll find the USB-like AC power jack, the cooling exhaust vent, a USB Type-C port (no Thunderbolt 3 support), a full-size HDMI video out, a USB Type-A 3.0 port, and a Smart Card reader on top.

Could you please let me know why HDMI to DVI-D didn't work for me? I restarted laptop and power on as well on the monitor and still didn't work for me.

I have 2 monitors, U2414H and U2417H and trying to connect to HP Elite Book laptop. I have connected U2414H with HP Elite Book Laptop using HDMI to HDMI cable. Its working perfectly fine. But when I switch on U2417H and keep HDMI to HDMI between U2414H and U2417H its not working. Could you please suggest how to connect between these 2 monitors?

Many thanks

Rajendra

March 27th, 2020 01:00

Hi Chris,

I am problem to find this message. I am using Lenovo Think pad Z270 model.

I tried HDMI to Laptop to Display port to Monitor - didnt worked it

then I get new cable today HDMI Laptop to DVI Cable to Monitor - didnt worked.

I have followed below thread and learned that HDMI to DVI-D to monitor will work, but it didnt worked out for me. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U2412M-DP-to-PC-HDMI/td-p/4438497

I am not sure how to check video ports in Lenovo laptop, i can say i am using Lenovo think pad X270.

Many thanks
Rajendra

No Events found!