GKeramidas
1 Copper

U2412M, input switching

just got a new u2412m monitor and all i can say is that the input switching is fatally flawed. even though i can personalize 2 buttons to switch between 2 monitors, it still takes 2 presses of the button.

then, when system1 goes to sleep, the  system2 will not even wake the monitor because it's set for system1.

automatic switching is useless, because when system1 is on, and i press the button to get to system2, it resets the automatic mode to that system and the original system will not wake up the monitor because it's hard selected.

every other monitor i've ever owned has a button that all it does is swap inputs, but not this one. i'm half tempted to send it back, i don't care how good the picture is.

pretty useless, if you ask me.

6 Replies

Re: input switching

So what did you decide to do, keep it or return it?

0 Kudos
GKeramidas
1 Copper

had to keep it because i couldn't find another 1920x1280 monitor and the person that wanted the monitor i was replacing wanted it now.

but i still do not like the way the input switching in implemented.

and, on another note, how does one get tech support on a monitor when you can't get past the service tag request? the monitor has no service tag. i guess that's one way to get out of supporting your products.

0 Kudos
cmgovier
1 Copper

I just recieved my U2412M.  The display is gorgeous and the best for photography unless you want to spend $$$$.  However, I agree with you that the input switching is horrible.  I am finding it hard to believe that such a setup got pass user testing!!  I use to computers, one for the interenet, mail, ect. and the other one for photoshop.  I am continually switching back and forth while I wait for a process to finish.  I am keeping the display since I know I can't get better color support in this price range.  

The only real solution is that Dell updates the driver and makes one of the buttons an input switch.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
poorgolfer
1 Copper

If you are using Windows OS then there is a utility called mControl which, if you run it on both machines allows you to software switch between inputs on the monitor. I have a DELL G2410H that it works nicely with switching between VGA & DVI inputs. URL for mControl is http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ the utility is shareware and has 21 day evaluation period.

I do think that DELL should provide a software switch as standard though.

Bob Wahler
1 Copper

RE: input switching

You had my mouth watering; right up until I saw "evaluation period". It's a monitor; and I'm all $4.95'd out (or whatever they are charging). And if it CAN be done through a utility, it seems rather shabby that Dell wouldn't have the few hundred bucks worth of coding done, and offer it.

For the record Dell, I too would like to avoid the expense of a DVI KVM, if a software utility can take care of it.

Holohe
1 Copper

I wish it wasn't too late to return my E2414H, which also has this switching issue. It's a major hassle to have to press 5 buttons, navigating a menu where the buttons blend in with the side of the monitor. I miss my Samsung!

0 Kudos