Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2014 14:00

U2413 Acceptable backlight bleeding?

I have a U2410 with a 5 year exchange warranty and recently it developed a black streak running on a diagonal through the middle. I contacted Dell about it and sent them photos. They approved the exchange and eventually I received a U2413 as a replacement. Right now, I have my old U2410 and the U2413. When I set up the U2413 to see how it looked, I noticed severe backlight bleeding. I was wondering if there are other U2413s with less bleeding (or none at all), or is this the norm? It's a rev A00 with a Jan 2014 manufacturing date. The photos below are very accurate compared to what I see, sitting in front of the monitor.

Fairly bright room (overhead lighting):

No room lighting (just for reference):

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2014 13:00

No. You wrote, "The photos below are very accurate compared to what I see", which to me means that the photos you posted are not of your specific U2413. But instead captured from the web. I never stated that the U2413 was not "yours". If the photos are of your specific U2413, then the middle 3" circle does have some deviation so you could request another used/refurbished exchange.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2014 08:00

pjs2004,

We need to see pictures of your monitor, not someone else's monitor. We do not validate our monitors in a dark room. We validate our monitors in rooms with a minimum of 150 lux which is standard office lighting. Dell monitors do not have 100% backlight uniformity specification. As long as the center 3" circle (6" circle for 27" and larger monitors) meets our manufacturer specifications, it is acceptable.

3 Posts

March 26th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the response. By "someone else's monitor," I assume you mean that because I didn't send back my old monitor (U2410), the replacement (U2413) is not mine yet? If that's what you mean, OK. The first picture was taken in a 10x15 room with a total of 225W overhead lighting. I'm not sure if that's 150 lux, though. The dark picture was taken just for reference -- so you could see that the bright spots on the first picture weren't reflections of the room lighting. Sorry, I should have said that in my first post. I think the 3" circle is affected by the bleeding, but I will try to look at it in an even brighter light. Thanks!

3 Posts

March 26th, 2014 16:00

OK, thanks Chris. Yeah, I probably worded that kind of strangely. I meant that the pictures I took represented what I actually saw very accurately. I should have said it that way. Sorry about that. Only reason I said that was because some cameras take better pictures than others. I first took some with my smartphone and they didn't look right compared to what I was seeing with my eyes. The ones I posted here were from a compact digital camera. Anyway sorry for the confusion.

No Events found!