Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 02:00

U2413, Blurry text

Hi, I received a Dell U2413 (Rev 00 (!), built september 2013) from Dell. I run Windows 7 and have done the ClearText setup. The text is awfully blurry compared to the U2412M. I spend 8 hours coding on this screen which gives me headache and my eyes are suffering. Here is my setup: - Color Temperature: 9300k - Brightness: 22 - Contract: 60 - Input: Mini DisplayPort (using the original cable from Dell) - Sharpness: 50 Is it normal (=this screen is only for image/video) or can I do something? Thanks. PS: dear Santa please bring us, poor coders, high density screen to our office desks. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

December 12th, 2013 04:00

I think that the color preset you are using is unsuitable for text reading.
Did you try AdobeRGB or sRGB preset with 20-22 brightness and 50 contrast?
Or if you do not like those, try this after a monitor reset in OSD (please note that it can be different on your unit):
Brightness 20-22, Contrast 50-57, GAIN R=100, G=91, B=97, Sharpness: 50 (default value), then apply the ICM included in driver (U2413.icm) in Windows Color Management.

Re-run W7/w8 ClearText setup and see if it suits you.

By the way:
-while scrolling text in Eclipse (for example) you may suffer overshoot issues, they may not be too bad, but they are in full bloom in text scrolling.
-for mainly coding/programming purpouses you shouldn't buy a wide gamut, your old U2412M or new P2414H (if 16:9 is not a problem) fit your needs and are half the price. Wide gamut implies that you need extended gamut, that you have a measurement device and that you know at least basics about color management.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2014 10:00

Thank you for the answer. :) The color accuracy is better (We need it because we also do web interfaces). However the texts (black font on white text) are still blurrier than on old(er) monitors. :( PS: I cannot understand why DELL has been forgetting the market of Office/dev employees (16/10, non agressive AG, no flickering LED, etc.) for so many years. Old monitors +6 years were better. :(

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

January 20th, 2014 00:00

There is an OSD option called "sharpness ". Try lowering its value. On windows it should work with default value (50) but may be not in your case.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2014 14:00

Yeap, already pushed it to 70 and unactivated ClearText. Not so good...

But honestly, this screen (like most of dell's monitors) is good for youtubing, playing, image, but not for working (office, dev, etc.).

So sad. :(

No Events found!