Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2016 13:00

U2413 Monitor Driver and DCCS with WiN 10

I just upgraded to Windows 10.

1. My DCCS says it is version 1.5.1, and says there are no updates available.  Yet there is a version on the Dell Download site that must be a later version, but it does not tell you its version number.  Updated Aug 3, 2015.  Wierd??.  However, I don't know if it will work properly with Win 10, so I am reluctant to download it.  If the DELL monitor expert is monitoring the forum (CHRIS, as I recall), should I download and replace the existing DCCS I have?  I am quite concerned after looking at some other threads about how poorly Dell and XRITE are supporting the software. What will a version above 1.5.1 add to DCCS performance?

ALSO

2. I see that there is a Dell Driver for the U2413 monitor titled Dell U2413 win 10 MOnitor Driver.  It is titled DELL_U2413-MONITOR_A00-00_DRVR_9GR6N.exe.  It was updated Oct 26, 2015.  The monitor driver on my computer is Dell driver version 1.0 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.  Should I be downloading the Win 10 driver?  Will it reside in my NVIDIA card?  What will it add to my computer performance?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

I would first test 1.5.1 in the Windows 10 operating system. If it works, do not go to 1.5.8. If it doesn't, remove 1.5.1 and install 1.5.8 and retest. When you install any version, it creates a folder called ReleaseNotes.

The U2413 Windows 10 driver (INF/ICM/CAT) does not add to the performance of the system. It simply gets it notated correctly in Windows 10 Device Manager. You would then use the Windows 10 Color Management to use the ICM file.

February 19th, 2016 14:00

1. Understand, don't worry about Windows 10 Driver

2. But Something is really messed up with DUCCS, maybe from the Windows 10 upgrade, maybe not. First, I was wrong about the version on DUCCS that I have.  It is 1.5.10, not 1.5.1.  I took the 0 for a null. Somewhere, I would guess recently, DUCCS must have been upgraded.  I have not calibrated my monitor for 2 months and DUCCS did not give me the normal reminder to recalibrate. The notes that you referred me to don't lead me to assume that the 1.5.10 version would not work, but things are really messed up.  

The last time I calibrated my monitor, cal1 for AdobeRGB, cal2 for sRGB, 120 cd/m squared, Dell Display Manager showed the brightness and contrast to be 50%, which I felt was a little bright, but looked OK.  When I just recalibrated, also at 120 cd/m2, it resulted in Cal1 to be 69% brightness, 30 contrast. Cal2 is now 75 brightness and 30 contrast.  In lightroom, the images, oddly enough, are darker and duller, not too bright as one would expect.  The Background Windows picture if viewed in Cal1 or Cal2 is washed out, but not bright.

Have you any idea how to fix this??

February 19th, 2016 14:00

Second Observation

When I edit my photos, I try to keep the room lighting constant using the fCFLs in the room.  There is a window behind me, but it is a right angle to the monitor.  However, the venation blind on my window does let some light into the room, even though it is closed.  I reran the calibration of cal1 a little later in the day, when less sunlight cam into the room from around the blind.  This time, I got a reading of 29 brightness and 47 contrast.  The contrast looks better, and the colors are better, but the Lightroom images are a bit dark, as now you would expect with this light brightness level.

Might this offer a clue as to what is amiss?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 19th, 2016 16:00

I would uninstall DUCCS 1.5.10 and install 1.5.8 which specifically list the U2413 under, "Compatible Systems". Then retest. 1.5.10 only list UP2516D and UP2716D.

February 20th, 2016 05:00

I see what you are saying, and I can do that.

Questions:  

1. The pages for both versions do not note the version number of the download, although the compatible systems are listed if you look for them.  Why is that?

2. The only instruction I can find for reinstalling a version of DCCS is an old post on the Photography life website originally posted by Nasim Mansurov on JULY 16, 2014.  Many comments to the post offer modification to the instruction which is a bit confusing.  One in particular says some of the steps are ovekill.  Has DELL, or you, or XRITE posted an official install and uninstall instruction?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 20th, 2016 13:00

The pages for both versions do not note the version number of the download, although the compatible systems are listed if you look for them. Why is that?
* I do not know. To me, it would make sense to list 1.5.8 but you have to see that in the release notes.

2. The only instruction I can find for reinstalling a version of DUCCS is an old post on the Photography life website originally posted by Nasim Mansurov on JULY 16, 2014. Many comments to the post offer modification to the instruction which is a bit confusing. One in particular says some of the steps are overkill. Has DELL, or you, or X-rite posted an official install and uninstall instruction?
* Nope. This FAQ also does not list uninstall instructions. I would just use the standard Windows 10 Control Panel- Programs- Programs and Features. Select X-rite or DUCCS, click Uninstall.

No Events found!