Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2013 17:00

U2413 SD Card Reader does not work with Windows 8.1

My SD-card reader is not working with Windows 8.1. There are no problems with the USB-ports. Any one else with the problems?

4 Posts

November 16th, 2013 05:00

I have the Same Problem here too.

The driver above is not working.

:emotion-6:

4 Posts

November 17th, 2013 04:00

I could solve my Problem.

In Device Manager i did change the view to see all Devices (
Disconnectet the USB cable.

Removed the devices with the "USB Device has an illegal/invalid USB Device-description"
Removed the devices with has been using the USB Hub form the Monitor.
Pluged in only the USB cable for the Hub and the Cardreader.

Pluged in all other devices.

Then everything was fine ;-)

Mine is working again too.

November 30th, 2013 11:00

I solved the problem this way:

Remove the the USB to the monitor.

Uninstall the realtek driver.

Insert the USB again and the correct driver will be installed.

38 Posts

October 20th, 2013 05:00

It uses a Realtek card reader so probably the drivers available for download are not compatible with 8.1. Hopefully Dell will release a 8.1 version soon, or you may try to identify the chip and try with the generic ones:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Don't know which one the Dell use though.

[Edit: I think it's this one: USB RTS5159/RTS5138/RTS5176 card reader driver for XP/Win7/Win8/Win8.1]

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 16th, 2013 15:00

Lars-Lundberg, TomCom,

Did you have the chance to test the U2413 Card Reader in Windows Vista or 7? I cannot find anything in the Manual that says the Card Reader is supported in Windows 8/8.1.

We do not offer specific Card Reader driver files. These should come from the operating system.

The U2413 driver page does have a driver for Windows 8. When extracted, open the Win8 folder and it offers the CAT, ICM, and INF files. But these only allow the U2413 to appear in the Device Manager and the Color Profile. They should have nothing to do with the Card Reader since the operating system should load the Card Reader as a mass storage device.

Card Reader Specifications according to the online Manual:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u2413_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Overview = "The Flash Memory Card Reader is automatically recognized by Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7."
Features = "Supports Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems"
Features = "Mass Storage Class device (No drivers are required under Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7)"
General = "Supported OS Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7"

November 17th, 2013 01:00

I did not have any problems with the card reader when I was using Windows 8. I got the U2413 after I installed Windows 8. The problems started when I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2013 02:00

Like Lars-Lundberg allready said.
It is the same Problem here.

Windows8 was no Problem. Since i upgraded to Windows8.1 It stoped working.

In Device Manager ist says Error Code 43
The USB Device has an illegal/invalid USB Devicedescription.

The USB Ports working well but the Cardreader doesn't.

To bad, for me was the Cardreader one of the most important things.
Hopefully this is getting fixed.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2013 02:00

Like Lars-Lundberg allready said.
It is the same Problem here.

Windows8 was no Problem. Since i upgraded to Windows8.1 It stoped working.

In Device Manager ist says Error Code 43
The USB Device has an illegal/invalid USB Devicedescription.

The USB Ports working well but the Cardreader doesn't.

To bad, for me was the Cardreader one of the most important things.
Hopefully this is getting fixed.

38 Posts

November 17th, 2013 04:00

Mine works correctly on 8.1 x64 with the default Microsoft mass storage driver. If you have have installed the Dell CD software you may want to go to Uninstall a program and remove 'Realtek card reader'. Either that or try a different (USB 2.0 / USB 3.0) port.

November 17th, 2013 13:00

Mine is also working.

Thanks!

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 08:00

None of the above makes sense.  Disconnect what USB cable?

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 08:00

I am still having this issue.  My memory card reader slots, which I used every day, do not work since upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 (on my Dell XPS 8700 desktop).

Dell is really doing a poor job in helping customers with things like this.  I also had a problem where my network adapter dropping off after every few hours.  After waiting weeks I finally found a user that figured out that downgrading to Win7 drivers fixed the network problem.

So I figure this might be the same thing?  But I can't figure out what driver to do this with?

2 Posts

November 25th, 2013 10:00

I am having the same problem with my SD card reader not working since Windows 8.1 update. I am using Latitude model E6430. If possible please provide step by step instructions to fix the issue.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2013 17:00

I think this is the same problem I am having.

I have a precision laptop which I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.

There is a built-in SD card reader which used to work fine.

When I insert a card in the slot, nothing happens. The card remains invisible in File Explorer.

Please let me know any suggestions.

Regards

- Dave Curtis

1 Message

November 29th, 2013 15:00

I also am having the same issue.

Dell Inspiron, upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 (the decision i thoroughly regret!!!).

The build in SD card reader has stopped working altogether.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Anks

No Events found!