Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2014 17:00

U2413 - USB 3.0 Hub problem?

I have a pair of U2413, these were connected to USB 2.0 ports on my computer system. However, I thought to get the higher speed through their built in USB 3.0 hubs I would install a USB 3.0 PCIe card into my PC. However, this is when my problems started.

I have installed the USB 3.0 card into my PC and it works perfectly with my WD Passport drives. However, when I try to connect one of my U2413 to the USB 3.0 input on my PC with the DELL supplied USB 3.0 cable, I get the "Ping Pong" sound, then first windows displays a message saying it found an NEC route hub then it says "This device would work faster if connected to a USB 3.0 input" ?

Next as it installing drivers, I open the message box and it has 4 devices, saying searching window update for drivers? Then a device come up with a big Red X device unplugged? Then a couple of NEC route hubs appear with constant "Ping Pong" noises. The device with the Red X stays there saying unrecognized device? Which I can only imaging is suppose to be the Realtek card reader, as that doesn't appear at all in the device manager?

The "Ping Pong" Noises carry on and never stop about once every couple seconds till I unplug the USB Monitor cable to shut it up!

If however I replace the Monitor USB 3.0 cable into a USB 2.0 port on my PC everything comes up as normal after a few second including a Realtek card reader in my device manager.

I can only assume there is something wrong with these Monitor's USB 3.0 hubs when trying to run them from a USB 3.0 port?

Can you please explain what is going on here? and is the a firmware upgrade for this hardware as my monitors are version A00?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 19th, 2014 19:00

We do not have any mechanism in place to allow customers to flash the firmware on Dell monitors. This is only done in our service centers on New and returned monitors. The only way to get a different revision is via a monitor exchange. But, an exchange is only setup if there is a monitor hardware failure. You cannot get an exchange just because there may be a newer firmware. Even then, we have no way of knowing which revision will actually ship.

What specific PCIe USB 3.0 card did you install? What operating system? Disconnect the monitors USB upstream cables from the computer. Open the Device Manager -Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Do you see any reference to USB 3.0?

46 Posts

September 20th, 2014 05:00

Hi Chris, I purchase a Belkin 2-Port USB 3.0 Internal Bus Port PCI-E Card details below:

I Installed correctly and works fine on my other USB 3.0 Devices. The problem is if I connect the USB uplink lead to one of these USB 3.0 Ports, it makes the "Ping Pong" sound, says it's installing drivers, found 3 devices:

NEC Electronic Hub Ready to use
Unidentified Device X Device unplugged
NEC Electronic USB Hub Ready to use

Then it carries on making these "Ping Pong" noise every 2 to 3 seconds until I disconnect the cable?The device unplugged is the Card Reader? as when it's plugged into the USB 3 port the card reader doesn't work, this is the main reason I purchased to faster USB card was so I could transfer my RAW images faster from my camera cards? But the feature I want to use doesn't work?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 20th, 2014 18:00

Download the Vista/7/8 Realtek card reader driver and see if it will install. Be sure the monitor USB upstream cable is connected before installing the driver.

46 Posts

September 21st, 2014 15:00

I finally found a link which worked and got that driver, I un-zipped it and did as you said, it finds there devices

A NEC Hub - Installed ready for use

An un-identified device - Cable unplugged with RED X

A NEC Hub - Installed ready for use

Then the Ping Pongs carry on every couple of seconds till you remove that uplink cable, also tried inserting a SD card still nothing working?

Would there be another driver I could try as that doesn't help :-(

46 Posts

September 21st, 2014 15:00

Thanks for that, its funny that it picked it up when connected via a USB 2 port but not when connected to a USB 3 port? Are they different drivers for each mode?

I can't get that link to work? its a dead link? have you got another place I can get it from?

Also why aren't there drivers for this on the Driver CD which came with the monitors? That's the first place I checked and seeing as it works via USB 2 via windows update I don't understand why it won't work in USB 3 mode??

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 21st, 2014 17:00

The link works for me. See the picture below.

You should not need any drivers. But it sounds like your operating system is missing the USB 3.0 drivers the monitor needs. We do not provide them.

What operating system are you running?

46 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 08:00

As I said in my previous message I installed those Realtec Drivers and it made no difference to the operation of the card reader, it still shows as "Un-identified Device" Device unplugged with a big RED X and constant "Ping Pongs" every few seconds till I disconnect the uplink cable. The Card reader does however function correctly when uplink cable plugged into a USB port but at the slower speed :-( and I get a message saying "NEC Hub can operate faster if plugged into a USB3 port!!! This is so frustrating :-( 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 14:00

What operating system are you running?

46 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 16:00

Sorry Chris I should of said right at the start.

Windows 7 64Bit version

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 19:00

I do not think the monitor is at fault. But to be sure, contact Dell UK Customer Service. Have them exchange the monitor. If the replacement monitor has the same issue, the issue cannot be the monitors.

* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open "FAQ Monitor"
* Open "Monitor warranties and instructions"

46 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 06:00

Hi Chris there you go I found this posting??

It's very easy but not the way you might want to go. The USB3.0-HUB in the Dell U2413 to U2713H-monitors works very well with dell-build computers, but not that good one with anything third-party-wise. I had the U2713H connected to my 15" RMBP and anything was fine except the USB3.0-Hub. Sometimes drives got disconnected after 30 seconds or never appeared on my desktop. Even the cardreader does not work properly. So I got into some search on the internet and found a thread in the offical Dell-Forum, where other users had the same problem. It seems to be some hardware issue, which should be fixed with a newer reversion of the monitor. My one was an A-REV0 or something like this. Because it's such an expensive monitor and the USB3.0-functionality was very important for me, I returned mine back to amazon. So, the best way is to forget about using the USB3.0-Hub.

Looks as if I might as well forget about using this as a USB 3 hub lol It works fine as a USB2 one however :-(

46 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 06:00

Well no it can't be the monitor as I have two of them and they both do the same? Mind you they do have the some model A01 and I do seem to remember reading something along the lines that version A01 have been having USB problems? It's not worth the hassle to exchange them I had enough of a problem trying to get two monitors be the same white balance lol 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

Because all used/returned exchanged monitors should have been fixed, regardless of the revision on the labels.

46 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hi Chris, I,m getting rather annoyed with this now as you have been discussing this problem with other users back last Feb-May 2013 so it's a common problem a link to a 5 page thread here - Start date February 2013.... resolved May 30 2013 user sfler

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19489601?pi23185=1

It appears a A02 version works???

I got a replacement monitor with an A02 revision number last month. The USB3 and card reader work fine. I didn't install any new drivers or anything. I just plugged it in, and it works perfectly.

So how come you never mentioned this fact??? I really demand this sorting out with A02 monitor exchange's and not old stock A00 models :-(  

46 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 08:00

Well the ones I have are clearly not right as they show the exact symptom's as described in that post which dates back to May LAST YEAR and I purchased mine with a manufacture date of February 2014, still Version A00 and the problem still exists? How do you explain that? 

No Events found!