Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 01:00

U2414H, DP MST daisy chain issues

Hello,

I've got what appears to be a common problem with no solution on these pages; with DisplayPort MST.

I got two of these Dell monitors over the weekend, and spent around 3 hours trying to get MST to work with them. I got there eventually, and they worked great for about 36 hours.

In that time my computer rebooted twice with no issues. However, this morning I got up, powered on and the second in chain (End of my MST chain) suddenly is not recognized as a monitor. It displays my desktop, but only at 640x480. AMD Catalyst can see it, but refers to it as "No Display Connected".

My configuration is a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 powering these two Dells (on a single DP MST chain), a Compaq Q2022a on HDMI and another on DVI. The first dell also has a USB Bluetooth and USB WiFi dongles plugged in, and the second dell draws it's USB capabilities from the first. Both were working absolutely fine when I went to bed, and this morning the second in the chain wasn't.

I'm looking to buy up to four more of these for a stacked tri-monitor setup, but I need them to be more reliable before I can justify spending that much! I love the thin bezel, and MST is a must for the setup I want, but the reliability is an essential too, I don't want to spend an hour a day fixing it all...

Thanks

13 Posts

March 26th, 2014 09:00

Alright; now can you safely switch to using another HDMI device on the second screen and switch back hassle-free? My screens themselves work after a lot of tinkering; but I can't switch inputs without having to set it all up again.
If so it might be worth filming a small tutorial on setting up; wipe the installation from the PC so no drivers are initially there and people can see it from the start, maybe we are all missing something key.

It'd also be interesting to see how it works on a non-Dell machine - it seems almost everyone posting is using a custom build (Which is quite common amongst us multi-screeners), so maybe there's some low-lying software compatability which just means it works easier on a Dell than on other machines. Even just trying with a retail Windows (instead of the Dell OEM one) might throw up something useful?

39 Posts

March 26th, 2014 10:00

Its not restrict to MST, the U2414H DisplayPort in general is unstable (it only might affect a certain batch of production though judging that Dell says they don't hear about widespread problems with it). It also isn't just a software configuration, see http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19566131.aspx for technical data that is it either a hardware or firmware issue (wrong EDID readouts and things like that). Of coarse that could still mean that you have a working U2414H and did in fact only have a software configuration issue.

Then again - if DP worked fine then things like resolution and such should be automagically configured.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2014 20:00

Chris,

Even after setting DisplayPort 1.2 to Disabled on the second monitor, it is not detected by Windows 7 over DP. The only way I can get dual screen is to hook up an HDMI cable to the second monitor.

What Felinx said. Have you tried testing with non-Dell computers as well as OEM and retail Windows 7? Testing on different hardware than the people who are experiencing a problem is not a test. It proves nothing. I do software QA for a living. ;)

55 Posts

April 15th, 2014 15:00

Just wanted to reply that I am having the same issue. I'm using a Surface Pro 2 with two U2414H monitors and the Display Port chaining has been a nightmare. Usually unplugging the monitors will get them to be redetected, but that is hit or miss. Also, I'm testing the Dell Venue 11 Pro in it's docking station and have had the same horrible results (the device even Blue Screened on me as soon as I connected the DP cable one time). Yes, there is a problem. I'm working with our Dell rep to see what fixes are being worked on.

April 16th, 2014 13:00

Surface Pro 2 - 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM version

Docking station

2 Daisy Chained Dell U2414H

From docking station MiniDP to Monitor 1 DP IN.

From Monitor 1 DP OUT to Monitor 2 MiniDP IN.

Problem:  Monitor 2 would intermittently lose connection.

I had both monitors set with the DP1.2 enabled.  As suggested I disabled DP1.2 on Monitor 2 (the last monitor in the chain).  So far this is working after about 3 hours of functionality.  I will try to update after it fails again (hopefully not) or after a full day of successful functionality.

Thanks

Ryan

April 17th, 2014 07:00

8:07 AM CST.  This has failed again.

Looks like I might be returning some monitors.

April 17th, 2014 09:00

Turns out the computer was going to sleep after 5 minutes.  Sometimes on wake both monitors would appear and sometimes monitor 2 would not.  Monitor 1 always appeared.

This time when going into screen resolution, the 2nd monitor was still there, but it said it was disconnected.  When I selected "extend monitor" it worked again.

I've now set the power options to never sleep when plugged in.  So far so good.  I'll keep you informed of any updates.

April 18th, 2014 09:00

I would also like to report this issue.  I've got 3 U2414H monitors using DP1.2 on the left and middle monitors with 1.2 disabled on the right monitor.  I am using a Lenovo T440s that has a Core i7-4600U with Intel 4400 iGPU with latest Intel drivers (10.18.10.3496).  I am running Windows 8.1U1 Pro, x64.  This is my setup:

Lenovo mDP--->DPin Left monitor DPout-->DPin Middle Monitor DPout--->DPin Right Monitor

When the laptop puts the displays to sleep, they will _never_ wake up.  I have to power cycle a different combo of monitors each time.  By power cycle, I mean unplug power from them, then plug them back in.  _Sometimes_ that works.  Other times I have to power everything off (Lenovo included) to get them to come back on.  Sometimes, after a power cycle, I get odd resolutions and refresh rates.  More power cycles seem to fix this.

I had Dell send me a new right monitor as it was flickering _badly_.  I got the new one a week ago and it has been working (no flickering) all week.  Today it's started to flicker and I got odd resolutions on the LEFT monitor.  I finally power cycled all monitors and the issue went away.

I have set the RIGHT monitor to MST DISABLED (per instructions above).  The monitor flickered after this.

I'm sorely disappointed in this setup.  The panels themselves are gorgeous.  The small bezel, fantastic.  The fact that these monitors won't wake up (using DP input) is ridiculous.  Using HDMI, they'll wake up (at least the 2 I've tested on).  The fact that I have to wait until the display is asleep before I can power them off is a pain.  Sure i can power them off while they're on and functioning, but when they're going to sleep, I have to wait.  Even then, the power touch control is finicky.  The fact that the touch buttons aren't lit up makes it impossible to see them in the dark.

Dell.  You have to issue a firmware fix.  Do you need me to take a video the next time this happens to show you?  What do you need to know so that we can get this resolved.  It's obvious a new monitor won't solve the issue (unless it has a new firmware).  What do you need from us/me?

13 Posts

April 18th, 2014 11:00

Looks like they're one step ahead of us on that front. The only way to do anything with your warranty is with the service tag, and funnily enough, these monitors seem to be missing that.

The detection tool which they offered returned an invalid code too. Let's just hope they reply to this soon with info on how to return both of these £200 doorstops so I can just get rid of them.

It's a shame, if they actually did come up with a solution I had money aside to buy a third. They've effectively lost out on £600 from me now, all because of poor support & bad quality control.

13 Posts

April 18th, 2014 11:00

I'm assuming we've all had these monitors less than a year?

Here's an idea; to get there attention we'll all just send 'em back. By law they have to refund us as the monitors are clearly not fit for purpose. If we just all send them back (to DELL, not wherever you bought them from), maybe they'll finally realize there IS a problem instead of just trying to palm us off with "well it works for us using Dell hardware and Dell OEM operating systems..."

These monitors need to be taken off the market before they claim more victims.

April 18th, 2014 12:00

I tried downloading the Dell Detection Tool (from the support page for the U2414H) and it said no Dell monitors were detected.  Super awesome.

And I really don't want to give up these monitors.  I know they're bunk when it comes to DP1.2 MST, but they're some of the best monitors out now.  I'm just wondering how we get Dell to troubleshoot with us.  Do I have to send them my brand new Lenovo?

2 Posts

April 28th, 2014 07:00

I am running the exact same setup as you are. I found that if I turn the Displayport 1.2 off the second monitor turns on. Then I turn it back on. I contacted Dell and they told me it was a Microsoft issue. Microsoft is my next call. Surface Pro 2 - 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM version Docking station 2 Daisy Chained Dell U2414H From docking station MiniDP to Monitor 1 DP IN. From Monitor 1 DP OUT to Monitor 2 MiniDP IN.

April 28th, 2014 09:00

From what I understand, DP1.2/MST should be turned off on the last monitor in the chain.  I've done that, and it's reduced the flickering.  Flickering does still happen, but it's not nearly as much as before.

16 Posts

April 28th, 2014 13:00

I've got 3x U2414H connected in Daisy Chain / MST mode. The last screen in line has DP 1.2 turned off and the other two have DP 1.2 turned on.

However, it's alway a guess if the monitors will NOT go into sleep mode when I turn on the PC.

At this moment monitor #1 and #2 are in sleep mode and monitor #3 is giving me picture.

My monitors are conntected tis way:
PC (normal DP out) -> U2414H #1 (Mini DP in)
U2414H #1 (normal DP out) -> U2414H #2 (Mini DP in)
U2414H #2  (normal DP out) -> U2414H #3 (Mini DP in) 

My graphics card is an on-board Intel HD Graphics 4600 card with 1 GB shared memory and support up to 3 monitors (Daisy Chaining)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600, 1 GB shared memory
CPU: Intel i7 4770K 3,5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, latest drivers and updates are installed.

It's happening in both Windows as in POST screen, so I don't believe it's a driver issue.

Keep in mind that it works sometimes but most of the time it don't.

Will this fixed by e.g. a firmware update? I really like the monitors but not the DisplayPort behaviour.

April 28th, 2014 14:00

In order for Dell to fix this, they first have to acknowledge the problem.  So far, they haven't.  The Dell Forum Moderator says they've tested this and it "works for them."  I don't think they've tried three monitors.  I'm also very curious as to what Intel drivers they're using.  Some kind of acknowledgement would be nice.

No Events found!