Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 01:00

U2414H, DP MST daisy chain issues

Hello,

I've got what appears to be a common problem with no solution on these pages; with DisplayPort MST.

I got two of these Dell monitors over the weekend, and spent around 3 hours trying to get MST to work with them. I got there eventually, and they worked great for about 36 hours.

In that time my computer rebooted twice with no issues. However, this morning I got up, powered on and the second in chain (End of my MST chain) suddenly is not recognized as a monitor. It displays my desktop, but only at 640x480. AMD Catalyst can see it, but refers to it as "No Display Connected".

My configuration is a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 powering these two Dells (on a single DP MST chain), a Compaq Q2022a on HDMI and another on DVI. The first dell also has a USB Bluetooth and USB WiFi dongles plugged in, and the second dell draws it's USB capabilities from the first. Both were working absolutely fine when I went to bed, and this morning the second in the chain wasn't.

I'm looking to buy up to four more of these for a stacked tri-monitor setup, but I need them to be more reliable before I can justify spending that much! I love the thin bezel, and MST is a must for the setup I want, but the reliability is an essential too, I don't want to spend an hour a day fixing it all...

Thanks

1 Message

May 27th, 2014 06:00

We are not having any issues testing two U2414H on several Latitude laptops and Alienware desktop. The last U2414H in the chain should have DP 1.2 disabled. Have you tested the so called 8700 high performance desktop with AMD R9 270 card?  It just does not work. I am using 3 monitors and I have just disabled my last monitor and its gone black and now I cannot restart it.....LOL. I'm afraid that at the moment no one in Dell has any idea on what the is going on.

13 Posts

May 27th, 2014 14:00

They won't of tested it with anything that isn't made by Dell. That's their flaw- it works with their own system and OEM software so clearly that means it absolutely must work on everything. I invite any dell rep to come to my house and take a look for themselves. If they can consistently switch it between HDMI on one machine and DP from another without issues, then I'll buy a third monitor on the spot.

1 Message

June 1st, 2014 04:00

Hello.

I'm having the same problem with a Sapphire 7950HD. Sometimes I can get my monitors well connected but I'm so afraid of reboot my computer or turn off my monitors because probably in the next boot they won't work together anymore. I usually get that I have a "generic monitor" not compatible with PnP with a res of 640x480. I tried everything, like forcing drivers, display not compatible resolutions and all. Still not working. So then I try switch connectors, and monitors and sometimes this works well in a inexplicable way. Has anyone solved this issue yet? This morning failed again and now I have to do all the switch thing again and pray for this to work. Is really annoying.

8 Posts

June 16th, 2014 20:00

Also having this problem. This is still not fixed. Come on, Dell.

1 Message

July 4th, 2014 15:00

I am also having same issue with 2 of the monitors i bought. 

2 Posts

July 9th, 2014 09:00

Just wasted 3 hours of my (working) life because of this.

I have 3 monitors, connected via daisy chain using Intel's inbuilt graphics, they're about a week old.

I've actually already exchanged 2 - one due to a pink line down the display and another due to the display port not working (but the mini display port was) - that could probably have been fixed my powering off at the wall, but who knew?!

The solution as some of you mentioned, is to basically switch all the monitors off at the wall. Tired everything - switching display port 1.2 off/on, other devices (my other PC only worked with 1/3 monitors), other cables.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2014 02:00

Same issue again this morning - twice already. Once after the PC had been switched off overnight, another after it had gone to sleep.

If this continues I don't think I'm going to have a choice but to return all 3 and try to find an alternative solution :emotion-6:

13 Posts

July 10th, 2014 11:00

Mine has actually been alright recently but just went again this morning.

Dell, this is RIDICULOUS. It's also fairly clear that you are just ignoring this thread now - which I assume means you know about the problem but refuse to acknowledge it.

13 Posts

July 12th, 2014 10:00

So after dying a few days ago, I simply couldn't get it back on. At all. Nothing worked.

I eventually gave up and decided that while I wait for a response from Dell (to get a full refund on BOTH monitors), I'd use HDMI on the second one.

Nope, that's no good either. I've got some huge border around the edge of the entire screen and the image quality is terrible. Windows insists both monitors are at the same resolution. So that's now not one but TWO input ports not working as they should...

39 Posts

July 17th, 2014 07:00

What's you graphic card jacer1099? How many U2414Hs?

2 Posts

July 17th, 2014 07:00

I actually have no problem. 

I've been using these monitors for quite a few months. My only complaint is that MST is not compatible with surround display.

2 Posts

July 17th, 2014 08:00

I have two 4gb GTX 670's in SLI and 3x u2414H's

I struggled with the initial configuration, getting everything set to DP 1.2 powering them on and getting picture everywhere (I had never done it before) but that was a few months ago and I haven't had an issue since. 

13 Posts

July 17th, 2014 09:00

Yeah, I was fine for a few months but then it just suddenly stopped working completely- no matter what I simply can't get it back on since. Plus the HDMI mode has a huge black border, which I'm having to live with because Dell's support so much.

8 Posts

July 17th, 2014 10:00

Yes, please, is there a firmware update or other fix for the many people having problems with DisplayPort on non-Dell computers? I've been following this thread since my own issue has not been resolved. I've tried the solutions various people have mentioned, but Windows 7 absolutely refuses to extend the desktop over 2 DP monitors. It will only mirror the display. A firmware update would be very useful & help restore my confidence in Dell hardware.

13 Posts

July 17th, 2014 10:00

Alright, but do you have any further solutions for the countless people trying to use DP?

I keep having to change the cable in the back of my PC while using HDMI. I've only got one HDMI port, and if I'm using it for my second dell I can't use it for my TV (which I'd usually do quite regularly), so this is by no means a long-term fix.

No Events found!