I bought 2 U2414H Monitors and trying to get them setup as dual monitors with my systems.
This is how I have it setup in daisy chain mode:
Monitor 1 - DP 1.2 enabled
Monitor 2 - DP 1.2 Disabled
Monitor 1 DP Out via 1.2a cable to Monitor 2 DP In.
1. My HP 840 G1 Laptop is connected via DP 1.2a cable to Monitor 1 DP In, everything works fine. I'm able to use extended desktop without any issues.
2. Same setup above does not work when I use Dell supplied Mini DP cable to connect my XPS 12 9Q23 (2013) to Monitor 1 DP In. My laptop only recognizes it as single Monitor and both monitors show the same screen. Is there any way I could use both monitors in daisy chain mode using the mini-DP on XPS 12? Could it be that Dell cable is not 1.2?
Regardless of my current setup - what would be the way to connect XPS 12 via mini DP to two 1080P U2414H monitors?
3. My another computer Dell Latitude E5430 has HDMI Out, USB 3.0 and VGA out. But U2414H only supports HDMI out of those. How can I correctly configure it to have extended dual monitor setup with my monitors?
Is there any universal device I could get which could be useful for both XPS 12 and E5430 and modern enough for future use?
Please advice. Thank you for any help!
As far as I know you will not be able to have two U2414H monitors connected in daisy chain and working reliably.
I have had the monitor for more than a year and they sometimes work and sometimes don't. Check in amazon the 1 and 2 stars ratings.
I hope I was of help (I hope I had known this before)
Thank you for your reply Chanido ! Have you faced any other issues with it? By 'reliably' working daisy chaining - do you mean it worked earlier and stopped working, or just does not work for you?
I love the monitors and the daisy chain works just fine with my HP 840 G1 (Has reliably worked for 2 days). Just not with my older XPS 12 or Latitude E5430. So I want to confirm it this is a limitation of the laptop, the cable or the monitor. I'm within my return window, so can return it - but I do not know any comparable matte-finish monitors with such display quality.
I tried hard digging up specs for XPS12 to see if the Display Port is capable of 1.2 or not.
1. The fact that both monitors function on #1 means that they are fine on a hardware level.
2. The Dell mDP to DP cable is DP1.2. This is a laptop display setting issue, not a monitor issue. You should re-post that issue on the Laptop Video board.
In theory, the setup should look like this =
* XPS 12 mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 U2414H DP in (left) (DP 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 U2414H DP out (right) --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2414H mDP in (center) (DP 1.2 Disabled)
* Computer USB 3.0 out --> Dell USB upstream cable --> #1 U2414H USB Upstream port
3. If the source is HDMI, you cannot use the monitors in a daisy chain setup. Each monitor would have to connect to two different laptop ports.
E5430 HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> #1 U2414H HDMI in
E5430 VGA out --> VGA to HDMI active converter --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> #2 U2414H HDMI in
For #2: for "#1 U2414H DP out (right) --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 U2414H mDP in (center) (DP 1.2 Disabled)" is it necessary to use mDP cable you suggested? Wouldn't a DP 1.2 cable from #1 Out (Right) to #2 In (Left) be sufficient? Since that setup is working fine on HP 840 G1?
I'll also try posting in Laptop Video board as suggested.
I tried using the mDP to DP setup and that didn't work either. Both monitors still show the cloned display. Probably the Ivy Bridge HD4000 does not support daisy chaining? I put the power settings to 'Performance Mode', plugged in and even replaced Dell graphics driver (latest version created in end-2012) with Intel generic driver (April 2015 version) - but still does not work. I'll try to test with a new cable as well.
Thank you for the help though!