Highlighted
JlmillerMS
1 Copper

U2414H, Dual, Surface Pro 3

I've been struggling with connecting my two new U2414H monitors via DP to a Surface Pro 3.  Another user suggested connecting directly to the Surface Pro prior to connecting to the docking station, which worked...sort of.

Since enabling the monitors, along with the Surface Pro screen, I find one of the monitors flickers periodically.  It is at the end of the daisy-chain.  Connection are  (Monitor 1): Surface Pro 3 mini-DP>>(Monitor 2): U2414H DP>>U2414H DP out, DP1.2 enabled..(Monitor 3): U2414H miniDP in, DP1.2 enabled.

Another post suggested disabling DP1.2 in the final monitor in the chain.  However, when I disable DP1.2 in that monitor, the system can no longer connect to it and it can not be detected in the display management screen.

At the moment, with DP1.2 enabled on both monitors, each is viewable, but Monitor 3 periodically flickers, becoming unreadable for a few seconds.  Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Daisy-Chained U2414H Monitor Issues

I think you have it setup correctly but just in case, below are the setup instructions =
* First, run all SP3 (Surface Pro 3) updates

SP3 on a Dock
* The SP3 Dock is using its 48w power cable
* SP3 Dock mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 monitor mDP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)
-OR-
* SP3 Dock mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> DP to DP cable --> #2 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)

SP3 only
* The SP3 is using its 36w power cable
* SP3 mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 monitor mDP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)
-OR-
* SP3 mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> DP to DP cable --> #2 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)

0 Kudos

RE: U2414H, Dual, Surface Pro 3

What CPU, i5 or i7? List all the specifications you have for it.
DELL-Chris M

It is an i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB HDD. Windows 8.1 64-bit. All updates installed. All monitor cabling came from Dell with the monitors. The flickering is like a smearing of the lower half of the screen, with it skewing to the right, then snapping back. I've rechecked all cables to make certain they are fully seated.
JlmillerMS

Thanks. The team wanted the data in their escalation to Microsoft.
DELL-Chris M

A couple of other notes to add: Since my last message, I've changed the refresh rate on the monitor from 59Hz to 60Hz and haven't seen the glitching as before. But, another issue has arisen where the system does not maintain its status when locked. That is, applications open on a specific monitor may move to a different monitor, or close altogether. I've also found the system randomly reboots while locked, perhaps losing work done to that point. These behaviors began only since connecting the new monitors.
JlmillerMS

We do not think that the external monitors are at fault. You just never saw the issues on the SP3 until you connected the SP3 to external monitors. We are sending Microsoft all of this data. Our displays team has a weekly con call with them. You might run all of this by the other SP3 users here and see if they also have the issues and maybe fixes.
DELL-Chris M

I will take a look at the other SP3 users info. I too don't think it's just the monitors causing the issue, but do think they, the DP implementation on SP3 or some combination of them since I had no issue when connected to other DVI external monitors through a DisplayLink USB hub.
JlmillerMS

0 Kudos