Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2014 18:00

U2414H, Error Message: No DisplayPort Cable

I just purchased this monitor and have absolutely no clue what is going on with it. The entire configuration is totally new to me. Plus, the instructions included in the box don’t explain . I haven't yet received the XPS 8700 tower, but I tried to plug the monitor into my Toshiba laptop and got the above error message. Could someone please enlighten me; or, point me to an in-depth instruction manual or perhaps even an installation instruction video? Thank you.

Jallard

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 24th, 2014 05:00

Looking at the rear/bottom of the U2414H, left to right the ports are =
AC power
Dell Soundbar mounting
DisplayPort In 1.2
mDisplayPort In1.2
DisplayPort Out MST 1.2
HDMI In MHL 1.4
Audio Line out
USB Upstream
Three USB Downstream

Your laptop DisplayPort cable should be plugged into one of the DisplayPort In ports, NOT the DisplayPort Out port.

If your laptop has an HDMI out port, then by all means plug it into the monitor HDMI in port.

1 Message

April 15th, 2014 20:00

Just got my XPS 8700.  Same monitor same issue.  Fixed it by getting the online manual and learning how to get to the monitor OSD - on screen menu - select the input for the cable you have plugged in and use the green check mark button (as explained in the manual) to activate it.  Apparently the monitor cannot auto detect which cable is plugged in - or at least that's my experience.  Hope that helps - awesome monitor and machine!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 21:00

Once the monitor is connected to the laptop and both are turned on, you have to go into the laptops display settings and "enable" the output to the monitor. The guys here can give you specific instructions on how to extend the windows desktop to the monitor once you tell them what operating system you are running.

16 Posts

January 24th, 2014 02:00

Thanks for the info. However, I was just trying to see what kind of picture I would get with this monitor. As it is, having looked over the installation manual that I downloaded from Dell's website, for the monitor, I am totally confused as to which cable to use. The entire configuration is extremely new to me. Whatever happened to plug-and-play? I have read over some this issues with monitor and now I am even more terrified and confused. All I really want to do is plug it in and get on with my life. You know?

I don't have dual monitors or dual video cards. I am a very simple man who likes plain potato chips and plain popcorn--if you catch my drift. Therefore, I just want to hook up the HDMI cable--if I even have one included, that is? So, any thoughts?

Incidentally, I have will have Windows 7 Home addition, when the tower arrives on Monday. I hate Windows 8. I hate tablets. I hate Google Chromes new tablet like interface. Hate it! Call me old fashion.  I don't care. I am all about keep it simple, stupid!?! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jallard

16 Posts

January 24th, 2014 06:00

Thanks, but right now I am more concerned about the proper way to hook it up to my XPS 8700, when it arrives on Monday. I don't care about the laptop any more, as it has been sold already.

16 Posts

January 24th, 2014 09:00

Got it, thanks. CM

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 24th, 2014 09:00

It all depends on how you configured the XPS 8700.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 24th, 2014 11:00

Your R5H2D Nvidia GeForce GT635 M210N video card has three ports =
VGA/DVI-D/HDMI

The U2414H ships with only the mDP to DP cable. The U2414H does have one HDMI port. My advice is to go pick up a HDMI to HDMI cable from a local store. Be sure to get full size HDMI to HDMI, NOT mini HDMI to HDMI.

Walmart

16 Posts

January 24th, 2014 12:00

Well, that's big of Dell not supplying a HDMI to HDMI cable. Thanks.

140 Posts

January 24th, 2014 16:00

Get a different monitor or a better video card as you will NOT have full color feed with this monitor on an HDMI cable AND an nVidia card.  ATI cards don't have this problem.  Read the PC Monitor review and TFT Central review of this monitor for details.

16 Posts

January 24th, 2014 16:00

Well, I think the monitor is fine. But, you are right about ATI. The last time I purchased a desktop I bought an HP and then replaced the the nVidia card with a better ATI card. Then at one point I had a problem---unrelated to the monitor of the video card and had to contact HP tech support. . The HP technician did a remote access on the system and discovered the new video card; and then, he proceeded to inform me that I had voided my warranty, because of the new video card. So, I am stuck with this card until my warranty is up. 

7 Posts

January 26th, 2014 14:00

Get a different monitor or a better video card as you will NOT have full color feed with this monitor on an HDMI cable AND an nVidia card.
By default NVIDIA cards output a limited color signal over HDMI. But that's not the kind of problem that can't be solved. There is a simple utility which allows to toggle between limited and full color signal for HDMI.

HDMI problem is entirely on NVIDIA's side. But DP in the U2414H is very fussy indeed.

16 Posts

January 26th, 2014 14:00

Awesome! Thank you very much. When I get my system delivered tomorrow I will a happy camper. Thanks again

7 Posts

March 16th, 2014 09:00

I reeived my 8700 and 2414H, set them up per the included schematics and receive the same message on the monitor; 'No display port cable'.  Checked all cables, re-booted, same thing. The display goes into power save mode.  Cannot view the DVD included with the monitor.  Suggestions please.

7 Posts

March 16th, 2014 14:00

My issue has been resolved, working just fine now.

No Events found!